Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless ESC recommendation needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brushless ESC recommendation needed

Basically, with my Castle ESC's you set drag brake to what you like (50% in my Wraith, 213% in my XR10) and then set forward/reverse mode to be instant reverse mode. So, if you pull forward it goes forward, let off to neutral and it hits the brakes at 50%, then if you go reverse it hits reverse right away. In the standard mode, you get forward when you pull the trigger, drag brake in neutral, brakes on first reverse push, then back to neutral, and reverse again for reverse.

When I played with the BH ESC I had drag brake turned off by accident and it would go forward when I pulled trigger, nothing in neutral, brake when I hit reverse, then while still holding reverse it would start turning in reverse.

Basically, I think the circuit wants to see 0 speed before it reverses to save the controller. I'll play around a bit more when I get my other receiver installed.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
You're talking Greek to me at the moment, I will have to get in and learn the programming.
Most modern ESC's have 3 types of "brake mode".

1-Regular brake. When in forward and you move the throttle trigger to "brake/reverse", the vehicle will stop. Hit the brake/reverse on the trigger again, you will get reverse (also called "double pump" brake).

2-"Race brake", no reverse regardless of how many times you hit reverse. Used in some race classes.

3-Crawler brake/instant reverse. When you are going forward and hit the trigger to reverse, the ESC immediately goes into reverse. This is the mode crawlers want. This can be hard on gas powered rigs, thus the "regular brake" mode.

ik632 was adding some additional info regarding brake amount setting.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:37 AM   #23

You cant go wrong with the castle mmp. Its around $110. But worth every penny. You can run sensored sensorless or brushed motors and up to 6s lipo. Its all the Esc you'll ever need.
delwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Tekin RS

/thread
/wallet
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by majatra View Post
Where do you get 440 from?
The Speed Passion Crawler Master L is a 23 turn Feigao FG-MBLS540L with a max amp load of 27. Speed Passion just added a sensor board to it.
Datasheet for it is available here
Datasheet for Brushless - Changsha FEIGAO Model Co., Ltd.
or direct link here.
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/85838/...1242961509.jpg

Just curious,witch other motors will this Speed Passion sensor board/endbell possibly fit ?
JENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

The sensor board is integrated into the endbell, so likely it will work on any motor that the endbell will fit on.
I tried it on an EZrun 5.5T and it worked.
If you've got a motor that bolts from endbell to endbell with three screws, in the same pattern, it might work. It might not too though, I can't really say for sure; could be for 2 pole motors only as I don't know if 4 poles require a different sensor layout.

Here's the motor for you to look at Speed Passion | Crawler Master-L Motor
Or on ebay for a cheap price Speed Passion Crawler Master-L Motor BIG SALES US23.99 | eBay
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The sensor board is integrated into the endbell, so likely it will work on any motor that the endbell will fit on.
If you've got a motor that bolts from endbell to endbell with three screws, in the same pattern, it might work. It might not too though, I can't really say for sure; could be for 2 pole motors only as I don't know if 4 poles require a different sensor layout.

Or on ebay for a cheap price Speed Passion Crawler Master-L Motor BIG SALES US23.99 | eBay
Thanks

I have ordered the cheap one from ebay,and it would be nice to use that endbell on a shorter motor with a bit more kv
JENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:

I ordered from them and it took almost 2 months to show up. I figured they just took my money and I just wrote it off. Then one day a motor showed up in the mail. I'm guessing it got stopped at customs. Your mileage may vary, but don't expect it in a hurry. It's a nice motor though. Very smooth.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #29
RCC Addict

I got one free with a venom rig I bought. I can push a igloo cube cooler across a concrete parking lot
So it has grunt.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Do you think you can gear it up enough to go relatively fast too? I know it's only 1000kv but I haven't run it like that. I wonder how hot it would get geared up in a Wraith.

Brushless ESC recommendation needed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushless motor recommendation arrglarks Electronics 4 06-19-2012 12:40 AM
Help needed with ESC recommendation. Andre N Electronics 7 03-02-2012 01:34 AM
Took Kit Recommendation Wanted/Needed getoutandplay Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 11-29-2008 08:04 AM
ESC Brushless BEST one also lipo cutoff help needed 4x4Crawler4LIFE Newbie General 20 02-26-2008 09:01 AM