Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin or Novak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Question Tekin or Novak

Thinking about purchasing a 13.5t sensored brushless motor. Should I go with the Tekin or Novak? Or what brand would you guys recommend. I was looking to not spend a whole bunch. I know I haven't had any good luck with novak but I've been hearing good things lately. Everyone just says to stay away from the ESCs.
ek9808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Tekin or Novak

if you are looking for motor and speedo then here
HobbyWing JS6 Sensored Brushless Combo w/ Justock 45A ESC + XERUN-21.5T 1600kv Sensored Motor for 1/10 & 1/8 RC Rock Crawler Competition (ROAR Approved)
it is a 21.5 you could go for a 17.5 if you want more speed

good 21.5 just the motor
Turnigy TrackStar 21.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 1855KV

good 17.5 motor
Turnigy TrackStar 17.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 1870KV

I am running a old novak ss 17.5 in my scx10 but any of the above stuff should serve you well
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek9808 View Post
Thinking about purchasing a 13.5t sensored brushless motor. Should I go with the Tekin or Novak? Or what brand would you guys recommend. I was looking to not spend a whole bunch. I know I haven't had any good luck with novak but I've been hearing good things lately. Everyone just says to stay away from the ESCs.
Tekin is the only way to fly right now IMO.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

actually the tekin is way dated for a scaler crawler motor.

18.5 novak is best motor for the choices given

Novak Ballistic Crawler Brushless Motors (18.5T) [NOV3618] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

great deal on a couple

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=NOV3419

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...=ns&pn=TEP1055

Last edited by bigemike; 09-04-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
RcBros Hobbies

No offense, but u just posted a thread saying u are just getting into competitive crawling... What first hand experience do u have to say one is better then other.

U also posted links to motors that most drivers won't even touch.

Everyone I know pretty much runs tekin motors when it comes to brushless. Paired with a tekin esc the performance is amazing. I base my opinion on first hand experience owning both motors and having ran the mmp, goat and tekin rs.

Last edited by RcBro; 09-04-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
No offense, but u just posted a thread saying u are just getting into competitive crawling... What first hand experience do u have to say one is better then other.

U also posted links to motors that most drivers won't even touch.

Everyone I know pretty much runs tekin motors when it comes to brushless. Paired with a tekin esc the performance is amazing. I base my opinion on first hand experience owning both motors and having ran the mmp, goat and tekin rs.
Exactly what I was looking for. First hand experience. Like I said I have never had any good experiences with Novak. I have, as well as many of my friends. have let the "Magic" smoke out of the esc on our drifters. I have been thinking about Tekin or Viper but have not had too much experience with those brands. I was considering Novak again, but just motors. I am definitely not purchasing a esc from them ever gain.
ek9808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Just because i am new to competitive crawling doesnt mean i dont have a ton of time with these motors. I have ran just about all of the motors on the market. The novak motors coupled with a tekin speedo are the bomb. The tekin motors are good, but the redline series is the oldest design out there. So please excuse my newness to this board, but my info is off of real world usage. The novak ss 18.5 is using a bigger rotor as does all the novak and trinity crawler motors. The larger rotor will give better low end torque and brakes, which is very important to crawlers. You said you have rant tekin but how many other motors have you used. I personally own trinity, novak, tekin and hobbywing motors. I own tekin, novak and mmp esc. So i do know what i am saying

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
This coming from the guy who is going to wire 17 ESC's together and power his home from the BEC circuits.

All novak products belong in a trash can. Even if it is brand new dropping it in the trash will save you tons of head aches and probably keep you from burning down your car, your house, and killing your entire family from the smoke that will come from using anything that has the Novak name on it. I will go as far as to say if your Tekin or Castle products have been within 6 feet of a Novak product it is suspect and could fail by osmosis.

And in case anyone wondered, I got my Electrical Engineering degree from the University of Africa, at Fro Tec. And I stayed at a Holiday Inn one time.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

Well i have ran novak for Years.....not one single problem.....period.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I have the build-a-ballistic 13.5t, ceramic bearings and 13mm rotor. I think its great in my wraith if you do just make sure its the regular 13.5t spec stator cause i believe there crawler stators only work with thier esc! I use an mmp. and will get the roc 4pole tekin motor when it come out just cause i want crazy torque
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
RcBros Hobbies

The op asked about a 13.5, not a 18.5. Everyone has an opinion, everyone has a preference. Again, I base my opinion on what I've personally used and what others who have proven as winners.

This goes back to onroad, offroad and crawling. I prefer tekin, I also drive a dodge and hate salmon....

I'm a firm believer that people don't know what they are missing till they get the better setup. Until then they will swear they have the "bomb" setup. If only they could lengthen there product testing to see what else is available.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Its cool, i like the tekin motkrs i am a big fan of thier stuff. I just feel the bigger rotor does give an advantage.

Also i never even powered up the novak esc that came in my truck, novak esc is junk i have had them catch fire on the bench lol. But thier motors are prefty good.

Also why is everyone hating on me about the bec thing it is a legitamate question?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

The bigger rotor makes the motor feel notchy and reduces speed a ton, the brushless motors already make enough torque to rip a truck apart so the benifet is IMO useless while harming to much. The extra drag is only needed with novaks sucky drag design also, MMP or RS will lock a small rotor rock solid without building a ton of heat.

The BEC deal has just been beat to death around here.

The comment about Novaks sensor board. Thier motors work with any ESC, it's thier ESC's require a "crawler" label motor. All it is is a resistor in the sensor board that tells the ESC to function as a crawler ESC instead of "sport" with no drag and double pump reverse. Nothing crawler specific or design about the motors at all. Basically just forces you to use thier motors and buy more ESC's for different uses.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Hands down Tekin, Novak has about a 1% following on this board because their stuff doesnt last.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post

The comment about Novaks sensor board. Thier motors work with any ESC, it's thier ESC's require a "crawler" label motor. All it is is a resistor in the sensor board that tells the ESC to function as a crawler ESC instead of "sport" with no drag and double pump reverse. Nothing crawler specific or design about the motors at all. Basically just forces you to use thier motors and buy more ESC's for different uses.
i knew there was something about it, thought it was the motor though lol
Cableman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
Its cool, i like the tekin motkrs i am a big fan of thier stuff. I just feel the bigger rotor does give an advantage.
You can feel all you want. 1.5mm of rotor overall, .75mm per side is not worth the choice of a good manufacturer vs. a sub par manufacturer. As was said, sensored brushless motors are already powerful enough. If you really want another league of brushless, stick with tekin and get a pro4.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #17

I run a Tekin FXR w/ Tekin 35t because that's what everyone said to get

Given there is other 100,000 threads on here, i'm pretty sure the community has eventually got it right.

Therefore I'm happy to take things on face value so i don't waste my time re-inventing the wheel.
kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

TEKIN Motor ran off CC MMP ESC for the win!
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I remember Novak being great back in the day (and back in the day I mean 1990-1991). What happened to them, did they just not keep up with the times?

Last edited by ik632; 09-06-2012 at 01:44 PM.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
I remember Novak being great back in the day (and back in the day I mean 1990-1991). What happened to them, did they just not keep up with the times?
It may not be the ESC, it may be the application.

For my carpet & dirt rigs, they're fine (no reverse in any of them) but in crawlers they don't seem to do well.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

Tekin or Novak - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What would be better.TEKIN OR NOVAK 1beatjeep Electronics 9 08-23-2011 08:28 PM
which is better TEKIN or NOVAK ? TNCrawler Newbie General 20 05-15-2010 11:23 PM
tekin to novak mjyjxj Electronics 4 05-02-2010 07:44 PM
Novak or tekin? brokeitagain Electronics 11 05-20-2009 04:42 AM
Tekin Rebel 2/novak Rooster Crawler/novak Super Rooster? CHRIZAD Electronics 7 09-15-2008 07:22 PM