Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: need help with hobbywing esc please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default need help with hobbywing esc please

I just bought a hobbywing justock 45a 17.5 motor and digital program card combo for my sportsman rig. I got it all set up for crawling and its got a nasty .5 second delay between forward and reverse and vice versa. does anyone out there know how to get rid of the delay?

the kit i bought:
HobbyWing JS5 Sensored Brushless RC Car Combo w/ Justock 45A ESC + XERUN-17.5T 1900kv Sensored Motor for 1/10 & 1/12 RC Buggy/Truck Competition (ROAR Approved)

any help would be more than appreciated. thanks.
JJ
iluvny081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: need help with hobbywing esc please

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvny081 View Post
I just bought a hobbywing justock 45a 17.5 motor and digital program card combo for my sportsman rig. I got it all set up for crawling and its got a nasty .5 second delay between forward and reverse and vice versa. does anyone out there know how to get rid of the delay?

the kit i bought:
HobbyWing JS5 Sensored Brushless RC Car Combo w/ Justock 45A ESC + XERUN-17.5T 1900kv Sensored Motor for 1/10 & 1/12 RC Buggy/Truck Competition (ROAR Approved)

JJ
I was running the Xerun 120 in my LCC (may have been the problem) and ran into the same reverse issue. I tried all the different firmware, and settings (I think that it has to do with the deadband). It tried contacting service about it, but did not get much response other than 'run no timing'. I also went to their forum on RCTech about it to no response.

The other side of the story, I blew two of them before I said no more...in a crawler. Justocks may be different.

Xerun truly are great ESCs, and I still run them in all my go-fasts...truly fantastic and solid. But I do not mess with them in crawlers anymore.

Mess with the deadband and see if that does anything.

Hope you have better experience, keep us posted what you discover.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info. After I posted I went online and ordered the digital programing card so I could plug it into my computer. If/when I get it figured out ill be sure to post my results. Other than the delay when changing direction it works great. Smooth and powerful. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentonmac View Post
I was running the Xerun 120 in my LCC (may have been the problem) and ran into the same reverse issue. I tried all the different firmware, and settings (I think that it has to do with the deadband). It tried contacting service about it, but did not get much response other than 'run no timing'. I also went to their forum on RCTech about it to no response.

The other side of the story, I blew two of them before I said no more...in a crawler. Justocks may be different.

Xerun truly are great ESCs, and I still run them in all my go-fasts...truly fantastic and solid. But I do not mess with them in crawlers anymore.

Mess with the deadband and see if that does anything.

Hope you have better experience, keep us posted what you discover.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for the info. After I posted I went online and ordered the digital programing card so I could plug it into my computer. If/when I get it figured out ill be sure to post my results. Other than the delay when changing direction it works great. Smooth and powerful. Thanks again.
Good to hear about the smooth and powerful. The programmer is a smart addition.

I was saying deadband earlier. But HW calls it 'Neutral Range.' Sorry, but same thing.

What are you running it in?

The Xeruns are a great product. In their defense one of my two that went down had been in my TC (mod and spec) and SCTs (2 and 4wd). So it had led a very rough life, disappointed....yes....but was not super surprised when it smoked.

Last edited by dentonmac; 09-06-2012 at 11:24 AM.
dentonmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

im running it in my lcc/lnc sportsman rig. after going through a bunch of motors the last straw was spending $70 on a brood stump humper 550 to have it fail twice. after the first time it failed(1 comp) i mailed it back to eddie and got it back with a new magnets and a hand wound armature. then it failed again(again after 1 comp) and the second time it failed it didnt even get hot. so after all that I knew my only option was to go brushless. I hate this rig. the bs never ends.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I noticed most of the delay when going from forward to reverse with that ESC was due to which firmware was loaded. If you're running the "blinky" firmware then it's going to have a ton of delay because even in forward/reverse mode with instant brake, it still wants to make sure the motor is stopped. I had to go to one of the mod firmwares to get it to remove the delay.

Do you have a USB programmer too? You need that to flash the firmware on.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Just checked out the link, definitely looks like it has the "stock" program on it for the type of racing it's intended for. If you get the big LCD programmer it should allow you to upgrade firmware. See this link for the one I'm talking about (in the accessories section):
HOBBYWING TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Another good post:
R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hobbywing ESC Settings ONLY
Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

awesome info! were you running the same esc as me?(justock 45a) and you say you were able to remove the delay between forward and reverse? i ordered the advance program card so I can plug the esc into my computer but it it wont be here til next week. do you remeber what firmware you used to get rid of the delay? thanks again for the info.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I'm running a BrushlessHobbies 120A Pro which is the same as the XeRun 120A Pro for the most part.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I think I ran 528 MOD. Just be sure to turn off/down all of the boost and turbo settings so you don't burn up your motor. You'll need to confirm that you can actually flash the 45a ESC. I don't know but I would think that you could based on what I read in those links I sent you.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
ddr

Any news on this subject?
Have a MOA with theese escs, All is perfekt exept for the instant reverse issue
ddr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #13

hi there. just found out hobbywing north america is doing a cyber monday deal, 12 hours limited time. saw Justock combo and others with crazy prices.
check them out. i just got the js6 combo.
HOBBYWING North America — Justock Combo JS6 *

Quote:

the kit i bought:

JJ
D_hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #14

Just for anyone with this esc there is new firmware for the usb programer crawler specific and it fixes the delay. I can go stran form forward to reverse and wheely both directions.
arlan_jacob is offline   Reply With Quote

need help with hobbywing esc please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need help with hobbywing esc sharpen Axial Wraith 8 06-07-2012 09:15 AM
Hobbywing ESC Trouble DustyfX4 Electronics 9 01-15-2012 09:08 PM
Is Hobbywing ESC Waterproof ? RC Scaler Electronics 1 04-20-2011 10:14 PM
HobbyWing esc ? 208BrAnDo Electronics 0 03-24-2010 10:33 PM