Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Trouble shooting brushless system?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Trouble shooting brushless system?

My Exo (yeah, I know not a crawler) died the other day for no apparent reason. I drove about a 10' circle then there was no throttle response. It has the Axial AE-3 ESC and Vanguard motor.
I flipped the switch and the ESC wouldn't beep but the LEDs went through their process. I replugged, tried different batteries, recalibrated the ESC/TX. The motor fans turns on and steering works. I measured the resistance across the motor leads and it is the same for all combos of leads. Spinning the rotor in a drill the voltage was the same across all leads too.
All of the wires are in good shape and the connections all seem solid. I would think that I would have seen some difference when measuring resistance and voltage had a wire or joint been bad.
Is there any way to test the motor or ESC without having any other brushless stuff to plug in and check? Are there any measurements I can take on the ESC to test if it is okay?
This is my first brushless system so I'm not sure how to go about testing it. I read the motor tests on another board but didn't find anything on how to test an ESC.

Thanks
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Trouble shooting brushless system?

Something to help you a little is that the ESC doesn't not make the beeps, the motor is what makes the initialisation tones.

Having said that you said that you are not hearing the beeps when you switch it on but everything else like the lights go through their sequence, steering works.... This suggests there is a problem with the motor.

This is my quick and simple test for checking the motor in a brushless system when you don't have the proper equipment to test it.
Take the motor out of the vehicle and unplug it from the ESC. While on the bench rotate the shaft with your fingers (put the pinion gear on if it helps) and get a feel for the shaft spinning freely. Now, join any two motor wires and spin the shaft again. You should feel a load on the shaft. Do this for the rest of the pairs and you should feel a load for each paring of wires. If you don't feel a load (like it was when there were no wires connected) then it is likely you have a burnt coil/phase in the motor.

As I said this is a simple and quick test for testing brushed and brushless motors, it wont give you the exact answer but it will help problem solve to see if there is a motor problem quickly.
SuperRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Okay I can feel a small change in resistance in all combinations of motor leads being shorted.

I thought it was the ESC that beeped but only when a motor was attached, I wasn't aware a electric motor had any sort of beeper on it.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The ESC actually pulses the motor very quickly to make the noise. It sounds different (higher or lower pitched) with different motors because of it.

Sounds like the ESC and Motor are not making a solid connection, could be either one or a wire/joint that connects them.

There is really no way of testing the motor or ESC without another motor or esc to plug into. You have done about as much as you can, if it is new and under warranty I would hit them up and see what they say.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
The ESC actually pulses the motor very quickly to make the noise. It sounds different (higher or lower pitched) with different motors because of it.

Sounds like the ESC and Motor are not making a solid connection, could be either one or a wire/joint that connects them.

There is really no way of testing the motor or ESC without another motor or esc to plug into. You have done about as much as you can, if it is new and under warranty I would hit them up and see what they say.

+1.

There are no "speakers" in the ESC or motor, it's a rapid applied voltage to the motor that makes the motor "ring" or "chime".

If something is bad, or the connections are bad/poor, you will not hear the chime.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Well I took a trip to the LHS and they plugged a motor in and nothing changed, so I think the ESC is toast. No I have to decide if I want to get this one repaired or buy a new one. If I go with a new one do I get an Sv2, MMP, BH120a (or 80a), or??? For the price of a MMP I could get the Castle SCT combo, so I'd end up with about the same ESC as I have now and a better motor. Knowing this is a basher does that change the choices any? Ugh! I really didn't want to drop this $$ into this rig already. The scaler has been ol faithful for me.

Trouble shooting brushless system? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR steering trouble shooting Curcal Axial XR10 4 06-08-2012 12:05 PM
Trouble Shooting Help Nosedive Texas 12 02-24-2012 08:08 AM
EVX2 trouble shooting..help smm_cbf Electronics 0 07-09-2009 10:50 PM
Trouble Shooting Rx? chevihemi Electronics 9 03-28-2009 11:06 PM
need some trouble shooting help... BeerMonkeY General Crawlers 0 08-29-2006 03:02 PM