Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: *VIDEO* Did I Fry my ESC??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default *VIDEO* Did I Fry my ESC??

Running a Tekin B1r on my scx10 and a newly installed Savox 1268 w/o external BEC and a 2S Lipo. Worked fine then stopped going forward and only goes reverse. I reset the ESC, recalibrated the RX to the ESC, fresh batteries, unplugged the servo from RX, etc... Could my Savox have fried just the forward aspect of the B1R?? Is it trash now or can it be salvaged? I understand the B1R is more geared towards 1/18 scale so maybe it fried. I have a Castle BEC in the mail coming to me, maybe it's too late...Need some expert advice! Thanks guys....attached is a video showing ALL red lights flash when forward throttle and finds neutral and reverses with no issues. Sorry for the bad video quality.

Axial SCX10 Tekin B1r Issue - YouTube
mcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: *VIDEO* Did I Fry my ESC??

its likely done for. what motor are you running? with the b1r i wouldnt want togo any lower than a 45t-55t with an external bec. those savox servos do draw alot of power from becs and not running an external one didnt help it any.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I am running a stock axial 27t motor. So you think I would've been OK if I had a BEC hooked up? Man, what a rookie mistake
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
RCC Addict

In my experience when a Tekin ESC goes it won't arm at all. No lights what so ever. One of my FXR's will ramp up and flash like that at full forward throttle while the other doesn't flash. They both work fine though. I would check out all your connections. Make sure you don't have anything loose anywhere.......motor leads, rx leads, capacitor, etc.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

OK, I will give it another look. Thx
Old 11-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Just another thought as well. It could be quite possible it's in Reverse Lockout for the Reverse Type.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like a FET is burnt...there are different sets of them that control power for forward and for reverse which would explain why you still have reverse. The only other possibility that I can think of is that maybe the ESC got reset somehow and now you only have "forward" In order for this to be true you would either have to have the channel "reversed" in your Tx or the motor wires reversed so that + is on the - and so forth. If either of these conditions exist then I would try going back through the programming and making sure that it is set for "forward to brake to reverse"

Hope you figure something out! If it is burnt I would strongly recommend bumping up the size of the controller you are using. If you are on a budget...and I'm assuming you are since you went with the B1R...I would urge you to go with the Castle Sidewinder SV2 or try looking in the classifieds here on RCC for a used AE-2 ESC that comes stock in the RTR SCX10.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

X3 check that you didnt get reverse lockout switched on somehow. That combined with reversed motor wiring and a reversed throttle channel could make it have reverse only.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, I will look more closely at the programming of the ESC. I received this ESC in a trade so didn't buy it new. It was running fine and just started doing this on it's own. I haven't switched the motor wires or messed with the radio directional buttons. Wouldn't the Reverse Lockout jut keep if from going in reverse though? Or am I missing what that really means...it does go in reverse and not forward
Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
RCC Addict

If your throttle channel is set for REV the ESC will think you are pulling reverse but to you it will be forward. If the ESC is set to reverse lockout you will end up with having only one direction. If I am not mistaken when throttle is pulled the lights should ramp up from the mode button to the increment button. That is if the throttle channel is set to normal direction. Check your radio and make sure your throttle channel movement is not set on REV and check the setting on the ESC and make sure it's got forward/reverse enabled. Re calibrate and see if it helps.

*VIDEO* Did I Fry my ESC?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did me esc fry? derbinator Axial Wraith 15 06-09-2012 12:05 AM
Did I fry my ESC? semnmrc Electronics 13 04-01-2012 09:23 PM
Did I fry my rx or ??? scoobydann Electronics 12 08-08-2010 03:19 PM
Did I just fry my LNC ESC? shelljeep Newbie General 24 02-09-2010 10:46 PM
Will a 3s lipo fry my xl-5 esc? jbrentd Non Crawler RC's 4 08-20-2008 12:51 PM