Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Thoughts on fly sky radios

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

I guess the GT3C could do as it has a LiPo battery pack. I guess I could hack it for the 4th channel....
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #22

Default Re: Thoughts on fly sky radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDiff952 View Post
I guess the GT3C could do as it has a LiPo battery pack. I guess I could hack it for the 4th channel....
Yes.. the GT3C's that are released now all have the power button fixed. That seemed to be the only issue with them that really bothered any body. And that LIPO battery is way cool over AA batteries (in the GT3B).

And check that link I posted, you can upgrade the smaller LIPO that comes with the GT3C with a bigger one for around $10.
I did that and am as happy as a clam (whatever that means).

Oh, one last thing... the GT3C comes with a charging cable that plugs in to the USB port on your PC. But that cable WILL NOT play VRC.
You need to get this cable for $7 in order to do that... (very slow boat from China)

Or spend the $17+ on the official orange VRC cable that plugs in to a receiver and the PC USB port. I was ok with the cable in my link though... it's plenty long. Only issue though, it doesn't charge the remote while playing VRC.
Indetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

I have both a gt3b & gt3c and they seem to be awesome in my book I don't see the need for a $300+ radio when the flysky works flawlessly for over a year now. You just cant go wrong.
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #24
Got Worms?

Quote:
My concern is to operate a dig. I need three positions and want to cycle through them with the touch of a button. Can a GT3B or GT3C operate this way or do I need the IT4?
A hacked gt3b and gt3c can do this.

Unless flysky has updated the iT4, it doesn't have 3 position functionality. You can kinda get a 3 way but its abit tricky

Quote:
What is this "OverkillRC hack kit? Have a link for me?
FlySky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl Space View Post
Yup, the scroll wheel/button goes in the opposite direction I'd expect. I believe that both axial and hobby king are re-branded Fly Sky, so binding across those brands should be doable.

Loving the fact that the GT3C comes standard with a lipo. OverkillRC sells larger capacity lipos for the TX too.
SOME axial and hobbyking rx's are compatible, not all.
Also, on the GT3C, there's a incomplete 0.6.2 firmware that lets the scroll wheel be reveresed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indetrucks View Post
From what I understand, using the Overkill hack on the GT3C really only benefited me by going from 10 stored RC's to 20.
I think the hack on the GT3B is more worth it (brings it up to GT3C standards)

the scrolling issue (backwards) doesn't really bother me enough to drop the coin. It takes a second to realize that it's scrolling backwards and ya adjust from there.
Actually, the new firmware gives you around 60 model memory...
Also, the firmware hack gives the GT3C and the GT3B same set of programmable features (Mixing, 3 pos switches, timers, 8 channels, etc)

Quote:
A fourth channel for a winch might be good to have , but to double the costI don't know
But you get WAY more than just a 4 channel. Also the stock gt3c and gt3b doesn't have 3 position switches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
As with anything, getting those last few drops of awesome-sauce costs exponentially more.
Oh, its not awesome sauce yet, i could bring out the awesome sauce but we're talking sell your kids type money at that point
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I am not looking for a true three position switch. I would prefer a bump type switch that cycles through the three servo positions is what I am looking for.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Well I am searching eBay for a flysky GT3C and put a bid in for one. Does anyone here on rccrawler hack them? Or is it just the other site?
Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Is there a true manual out for the hacked firmware yet? (Browsing through a monster thread isn't my definition of "user friendly".)
Or at least some "quick reference guide" for the most common types of programming settings/operations?
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:44 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well I am searching eBay for a flysky GT3C and put a bid in for one. Does anyone here on rccrawler hack them? Or is it just the other site?
Losikid on here hacks them........ He also runs the overkill rc site. Also you can get the flysky tx, through hobbypartz, you don't have to go ebay for them
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #29
Got Worms?

Quote:
I am not looking for a true three position switch. I would prefer a bump type switch that cycles through the three servo positions is what I am looking for.
I don't believe the it4 can do this. and the gt3b/gt3c in stock form can't do this. There are two position controllers out there that takes a 2 position channel and makes it so you can cycle through 3 positions. But a normal 3 way switch is easier and more intuitive to use.

But the new firmware for the gt3b/c can be setup to cycle through 2-8 positions with a button or switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Is there a true manual out for the hacked firmware yet? (Browsing through a monster thread isn't my definition of "user friendly".)
Or at least some "quick reference guide" for the most common types of programming settings/operations?
These seem to help people
http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3X-Firmw...lp%20cards.pdf

I've also slowly been working on this...i should probably finish it

losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:02 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I am watching one on eBay. Blue screen. If the price goes too high, I will buy new from hobbypartz.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #31

I just reciently purchased a gt3c for my ground up crawler build. It currently has three channels but am thinking I may need one more now. Is there a way I can get this with out getting a new receiver. I really like the ease and feel of my fly sky
bowsher925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am watching one on eBay. Blue screen. If the price goes too high, I will buy new from hobbypartz.
pretty sure overkill has them in stock, modded, hacked, ready to go, far better than buying a stock one and having to do it all yourself, my gt3b with mods and hacks work flawlessly for a 3 position dig switch on my pro moa crawler.
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbj069 View Post
pretty sure overkill has them in stock, modded, hacked, ready to go, far better than buying a stock one and having to do it all yourself, my gt3b with mods and hacks work flawlessly for a 3 position dig switch on my pro moa crawler.
It's more fun doing it yourself and cheaper.......but that's just me
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

So I found something very interesting today.. (To me at least)

Purchased 2 3ch Flysky FS-GR3C/E/F Recievers from HobbyPartz.com and they came Waterproofed! It seems anyways. These are the new 8.4 Volt Max type

Soo small, but I tried to get the best pics I could.

Buy link Fly Sky FS-GR3C/E/F 2.4GHz Automatic Frequency Hopping Digital System 3 Channel Receiver

PICS

You can see in the last picture there is an area that DOESN'T have the coating. Which seems epoxy like in texture. I waterproofed 2 of these same RX's few months back and they came WITHOUT the coating. I sprayed them with white PlastiDip and One didn't end up working. Could've came that way I didnt check before hand.

So before I dunk these new RX's---

I was wondering if it is actually waterproof?

If the area that ISN'T matters. I assume that is why the last one failed on me because I just coated the whole board.

Hope all that makes sense.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:22 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I could bring out the awesome sauce, but we're talking sell your kids type money at that point.
Some days, I'd GIVE the kids away, so that's not a bad price! Serve up the sauce!
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsher925 View Post
I just reciently purchased a gt3c for my ground up crawler build. It currently has three channels but am thinking I may need one more now. Is there a way I can get this with out getting a new receiver. I really like the ease and feel of my fly sky
If you're currently only using 2 of the 3 on the RX, no you won't need a new one, but if you want more than 3 channels, you'll need a new RX.

But for under $15 for a 6 channel, it isn't breaking the bank
Richterat83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Actually, the new firmware gives you around 60 model memory...
Also, the firmware hack gives the GT3C and the GT3B same set of programmable features (Mixing, 3 pos switches, timers, 8 channels, etc)
quick question… i have 2 of your hacked gt3b's and i believe they are the same firmware (last one i bought last summer, havent updated firmware since).

anyway, whats the model memory count on the hacked gt3b?
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #38

awesome! thanks for the help!
bowsher925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Re: Thoughts on fly sky radios.... Please share your thoughts

Trash. Buy Futaba once and be done with it.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Trash. Buy Futaba once and be done with it.

Well I guess he did ask for opinion not fact so he certainly got that from you.

I like my gt3b. It's still 100% stock but one of these days I'll hack it to utilize the 8 channel receiver I picked up for it awhile back. Last I checked that wasn't possible with any single pistol grip futaba radio no matter the cost. It's ok, you don't have to buy a flysky radio if you don't want to. But those of us that don't see a need for an uber radio but just a solid system with many channels.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote

Thoughts on fly sky radios - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fly sky ? Tcp57fd Newbie General 6 03-25-2013 08:10 AM
New Coming Soon! Fly-Sky IT 4 TX BentMetaL Axial Wraith 4 01-26-2013 03:49 PM
Fly Sky FS-GT3B 2006Shelby Electronics 9 01-16-2012 10:41 AM