Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Axial spawn motor/esc problems helppp!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Default Axial spawn motor/esc problems helppp!!!

So the other day I was climbing a pretty steep hill and the truck cut out on me. I figured it was the lipo cutoff. picked up my truck and threw it on the charger. When I put it back in the car charged, I hit the throttle and the car moved about an inch... really slow then cut off and I could see the motor trying to spin but it wasn't turning. So I swapped in a 55T that I had laying around and test drove it.. it worked but the car was very slow and had almost no power I drove it up on a rock and instantly the thing started smoking so I turned off my radio as quick as I could and ran over to the truck.. when I lifted it up the wheels just started spinning with no input from the radioand smoke was bellowing from the esc. Immediately I disconnected the battery. So I went our and bought a sidewinder sv3 to replace the obviously smoked stock axial esc. Along with a 35t rc4wd motor. Plugged it all in and the car hardly moves.. the motor will spin about a turn and give up. I get no beeps on startup the servo turns the wheels in both throttle and steering ports of the reciever. That leads me to believe the reciever/radio/and servo are all working correctly. And my problem lies somewhere in the brand new esc/motor setup... am I missing something? I need help!
riverside_wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial spawn motor/esc problems helppp!!!

Sounds to me, that your gearing is a bit tall for what youre trying to do with it. Reduce your pinion size and or increase your spur gear size.

Always turn off the power to the truck first and the radio last. As you experienced, when the truck receiver loses signal, it can spin the wheels uncontrollably. Most receivers have a failsafe that you can set easily. Use the Google's.

I would check and see if you have binding issues. Does your vehicle roll smoothly when the pinion gear is detached?

The ESC smokes for various reasons, first to come to mind is water. Second is bad gearing causing the ESC to work too hard and overheat and melt.

The new sidewinder, was it programmed? Throttle points calibrated? It won't move the vehicle or even beep if improperly calibrated.

What sort of battery are you using? You stated Lipo, but are you using a 2s, 3s, 4s?

More info and im sure the problem will surface.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

I'm running a 2s lipo 7600mah, the sidewinder seems calibrated according to the blinking lights, but I don't hear the beeps that tell me the car is "armed." as far as gearing is concerned I'm running a 32 pitch 64 tooth spur and a 12 tooth pinion when the esc fried. Right now I can't even get the motor to spin continuously without the pinion on. When I remove the motor from the car and jumper to the battery it works fine. The car hasn't seen water recently and it rolls fine with no obvious binding

Last edited by riverside_wraith; 06-09-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #4

It seems to me like the esc is not providing continuous power to the motor. It will give a jolt when I squeeze the throttle for about a second then cut out. Like when the lipo cutoff kicks in when your battery dies
Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

The sv3 is a brush less ESC. Has it been programmed to run brushed? Perhaps that is part of the new issues.
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:04 PM   #6

I didn't see anything to program it from brushless to brushed. It seems like it's just a wiring difference. But it is a possibility I'm off tomorrow and I'll probably take it down to the lhs and see what they say

Last edited by riverside_wraith; 06-09-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverside_wraith View Post
I didn't see anything to program it as brushless.
It comes out of the box that way. If you haven't programmed it with a Castle Link, don't (attempt to) run it until that's changed.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #8

Yea I just read in a forum somewhere that you can't "stick" program the sv3 with a brushed motor. It says nowhere in the instructions about this. The forum suggested using a castle link to change it or using a BL motor to get it to program into brushed mode then switch back to my brushed motor. I have neither a brushless motor.. or a castle link. I've been fiddling around trying to calibrate this thing do you think I could have done damage to it trying to run a brushed motor in brushless mode? God I hope not. I would be pissed!
Old 06-10-2015, 04:01 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Did your esc come with a coupon in the box for a free castle link? Also you can check your local hobby shop they might have one you can use or try Facebook and see if anyone locally can help you out.
novarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:34 AM   #10

I'll check my box that would be cool! I know the hobby town has one they will let me use.. anyone know how I can tell if I fried it already before heading down there? All the lights are still the same. The led turns green when I applied throttle, and it still calibrates on startup
Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #11

Took it to the lhs. And it was just programmed for a brushless motor. Switched it to brushed and everything works fine and dandy.. thanks for your help guys!

Axial spawn motor/esc problems helppp!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial 27T Motor good on stock gearing Wraith Spawn? raider89 Axial Wraith 4 06-04-2015 03:38 PM
motor and esc problems crawler105 Electronics 2 05-06-2014 05:27 PM
Motor or esc problems notmanywords Electronics 5 02-19-2012 07:08 PM
need help motor or esc problems millertime80 Newbie General 4 06-15-2010 01:56 PM
motor/esc problems phillyb Electronics 2 12-13-2004 06:41 AM