Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mmp drag brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Mmp drag brake

New to crawling. I noticed the mmp has a crawler setting for drag brake. Something like 213% or something crazy. On my 7lbs scx10 it's like locking the brakes. If I have any speed at all and let off the throttle the rear wheels actually come off the ground. I know the answer is turn it down but what are others running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Mmp drag brake

Every vehicle is going to be slightly different depending on rig weight and motor torque, so you'll need to experiment to find your preference. I run mine at 30% for bashing and 100% for pure crawling because those two options are both available on the CastleLink Field Card.
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Same here, 30% on my fast Bomber and 100% on my crawler Bomber and Wraith.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I think about 20% on my wraith. I don't really like using the drag brake when crawling though.
tacocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm using 150% on my Wraith at the moment with a Puller Pro 3500KV, with 12/56 gearing.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #6

I've got a Trailmaster BLE Pro (basically the same as MMP, I believe) in my Wraith. Kind of a pain to open up the radio box to use the Castle Link, so I've settled on a compromise that works well for everything IMO.

I've got the drag brake at 30% and the regular brake at 10%. The Wraith will roll backwards on any kind of a slope, but it's easy enough to just hold it with the throttle. Going forward, it rolls downhill at a nice pace, but if I need to slow it down more, the brake function (reverse throttle) is easy to modulate and works well.

Running a 3300kV Puller Pro Stubby on 3S with 56/11 gearing.
Helicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thanks. I'm new to crawling and when I say up my mmp under drag it says crawler (213%) so me being new just assumed that is where to start. If I run full or near throttle on my roc412 2300kv geared 11/54 I can actually get the rear tires to come off the ground by just letting the throttle go to neutral. I'll have to do some experimenting for sure.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #8

Yeah, even at 50% drag brake I don't like the shock when it goes from full speed to neutral. But with a bit of practice you can also train your trigger finger not to go all the way to neutral until it has slowed down a bunch.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:32 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I use 100% for drag brake and anywhere from 50%-75% for brake on my crawlers, both have HH Puller Pros. As mentioned above, if you don't like the sudden stops, you'll learn to ease of the throttle instead of abruptly doing so.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:00 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

It's my understanding that if you are in crawler reverse mode (instant), then setting the brake doesn't do anything because you would be engaging reverse. You only have to set drag brake. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

The max drag brake is too much on a mmp. My wraith would flip over forward on obstacles. I now run mine at 50%.
CrawlCrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
It's my understanding that if you are in crawler reverse mode (instant), then setting the brake doesn't do anything because you would be engaging reverse. You only have to set drag brake. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
I've only played with it a bit, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

From the MMP instructions:

Option 3: Crawler Reverse
Reverse or forward is accessible at any time after the ESC brakes to zero motor RPM (even if the vehicle is moving)

So as long as the truck is rolling forward, even very slowly, reverse throttle gives you braking. As soon as you brake to zero speed, you get reverse right away.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I stand corrected. Good to know......who reads the instructions?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicrawler View Post
I've only played with it a bit, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

From the MMP instructions:

Option 3: Crawler Reverse

Reverse or forward is accessible at any time after the ESC brakes to zero motor RPM (even if the vehicle is moving)

So as long as the truck is rolling forward, even very slowly, reverse throttle gives you braking. As soon as you brake to zero speed, you get reverse right away.

Mine does not work that way for sure. Unless I calibrated it incorrectly. If I am crawling forward at a slow speed and go full brake it goes straight to reverse. This is set on forward/reverse mode. If I set it to forward/brake/reverse mode then I have to do a double tap on the brakes at a full stop then it will go in reverse.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post
Mine does not work that way for sure. Unless I calibrated it incorrectly. If I am crawling forward at a slow speed and go full brake it goes straight to reverse. This is set on forward/reverse mode. If I set it to forward/brake/reverse mode then I have to do a double tap on the brakes at a full stop then it will go in reverse.

I would think that if you go from a forward crawl to full brake, it would happen so quickly that you couldn't tell.

I use it when I'm rolling downhill in neutral under gravity power. A tiny bit of reverse throttle will let me brake the vehicle to whatever forward speed I want and keep it there.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:22 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I will have to pay attention to this next time I'm out.

I have my MMP drag brake set to 55...I prefer my rigs to have the slight ability to creep if needed.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I've never used a mmp in my race vehicles but I know if I am running my b5m full throttle then slam on the break it stops but doesn't go in reverse if you hold it there. You actually have to return to neutral then push the trigger forward to get it to reverse. This is what I was trying to avoid in my crawler by choosing forward/ reverse mode. But it appears that it is literally forward then reverse. I'll start by turning the drag break down to 50 and setting the max brake to like 10

Old 01-23-2016, 03:04 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I've never used a mmp in my race vehicles but I know if I am running my b5m full throttle then slam on the break it stops but doesn't go in reverse if you hold it there. You actually have to return to neutral then push the trigger forward to get it to reverse. This is what I was trying to avoid in my crawler by choosing forward/ reverse mode. But it appears that it is literally forward then reverse. I'll start by turning the drag break down to 50 and setting the max brake to like 10

Yep, I set my Tekin up just I set my V10.1 up in my B5M and my RX8 Gen 2 in my Tekno, just as you did with a delay for reverses. Didn't work out so well in the G6 so I changed it to forward/rev… no delay.

I also had the same problem with the drag brake. Here's I solved it.

I set drag brake to 30% and brake power to 100% in the ESC. The result is what you see with your truck, except it kreeps slowly downhill.

Then I programmed one of the trim switches on my TX to control dual rate (DR) on the brake channel. I set the trim steps to 3 or 4, I can't remember exactly. I use the DR to turn the brake strength down so the truck doesn't slam to a stop when I put the throttle to neutral.

Now if I'm going down hill and the G6 is going faster than I want I use my ring finger and "click" in more brake with the DR trim. Once on flatter ground I can "click" the brake back down again.
Dwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:41 PM   #19

Quote:

If you select crawler reverse you don't have to move the throttle to neutral before reverse is engaged.

For bashing I turn off the drag brake and for crawling I set it at 100%. Brake strength is at 80% on both. This is in a bomber with a HH puller pro on 3s. It started to self destruct itself with drag brake at high speed.
BakedMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:07 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I run at 25-30% on my bomber, but I also run it fast as well as crawl. When set higher I was able to brake slowly by modulating throttle, but I found that when running around in the fields and I would jump something it was too hard to control attitude in the air with it set at 50% or higher. If I wanted to drop the nose just a bit and let off the drag brake would just engage too much and tuck the nose hard.

I have also found that for me a lower setting works well when going down a loose soil descent. At 25% it slows down nicely but keep the wheels turning so I can still steer. Now I do have one caveat here, I am running a 2 speed and crawl in low, in high I would have to set the drag brake higher to get the same effect in high. As low is about a 2:1 reduction I get more drag effect in low due to gearing, if I try the same descent in high I pick up speed. It all works out though as I have the drag I want for the two different situations.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mmp drag brake - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MMP seems to have little to no drag brake viper6171 Electronics 16 05-08-2015 02:18 PM
Castle / AE-2 Drag Brake and Brake Power ik632 Electronics 0 04-08-2012 07:47 AM
MMP drag brake. SLEDGE Electronics 4 12-20-2011 01:59 AM
Drag Brake on MMP? AsILayDying Electronics 28 12-08-2011 08:58 PM
Throttle / Drag Brake / Brake Question phatchantz Newbie General 5 05-19-2008 11:57 AM