Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Is it cooked?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #1

Default Is it cooked?

My Torquemaster Sport 30T, in a Wraith, 10/56, 3s lipo. Probably about three hours on it, ran cool most of the time, but some tough spots I noticed it getting warm/ hot. Bought a laser temp thing to monitor, never really got warmer than 150•, but it would cool down fast enough. Yesterday it took an involuntary dunk in a flowing stream, and when I finally retrieved it, I gave it a go to spin out the water and immediately smelled the toast. Unplugged the battery. Let it cool, gave it another shot and while it seems to work ok, it just smells burnt. Took it apart and there was a bunch of crud in the commutator slots, then took the pic- the wires look a little bubbling by the com? Is this toast? Can it be turned on a com lathe?

Last edited by Fumey; 05-31-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Fumey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Is it cooked?

It can be turned but the windings look burnt maybe just dirty check the resistance between segments "ohms on a multimeter " they should be close
stankulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is it cooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumey View Post
My Torquemaster Sport 30T, in a Wraith, 10/56, 3s lipo. Probably about three hours on it, ran cool most of the time, but some tough spots I noticed it getting warm/ hot. Bought a laser temp thing to monitor, never really got warmer than 150•, but it would cool down fast enough. Yesterday it took an involuntary dunk in a flowing stream, and when I finally retrieved it, I gave it a go to spin out the water and immediately smelled the toast. Unplugged the battery. Let it cool, gave it another shot and while it seems to work ok, it just smells burnt. Took it apart and there was a bunch of crud in the commutator slots, then took the pic- the wires look a little bubbling by the com? Is this toast? Can it be turned on a com lathe?
That bubbly on the wires near the solder tab on the comm is the clearcoat insulation burnt off, might have internal short or soon to have internal short if/when it gets hot again. I would not run that, send it in to HH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stankulas View Post
It can be turned but the windings look burnt maybe just dirty check the resistance between segments "ohms on a multimeter " they should be close
Yes, but I still wouldn't run it, not worth having to change motor on the trail assuming you carry a spare, get a new comm and have peace of mind.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Is it cooked? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my armature cooked? fyrstormer Electronics 70 12-20-2015 02:47 PM
Cooked a Novak... what next? n_d_fox Electronics 6 05-16-2015 09:39 AM
Cooked esc Tyler-brown Redcat Crawlers 5 12-19-2011 06:20 PM
cooked Tekin 35T BigSki Electronics 8 11-15-2010 04:24 PM
Cooked bearing RD400 Chit Chat 8 09-18-2006 10:24 PM