Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New Castle Mamba X (sucessor of Mamba Max Pro)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2017, 11:10 AM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: New Castle Mamba X (sucessor of Mamba Max Pro)

I ran my Mamba X Thursday with the brushed motor (HH 16T Crawlmaster Pro). It started acting like it hit lipo cutoff so I swapped batteries. We checked the voltage Pilot_MM's lipo checker thing and it was at 10.86 IIRC. He had left before I finished the next pack, but when I hooked them up to my charger at home, one pack was sitting at ~3.6-3.75v per cell and the other pack was all at 3.8-3.9v per cell. My cutoff is set at 3.2v. I spoke with someone at Castle who said that it was normal to have voltage that high after sitting a while, but I cant recall ever having it that high after hitting cutoff on my other 6 Castle ESCs.

I would check the logs, but it deleted them...I set it up to delete at 90%, but I ASSumed that I would be able to pull data after I shut the ESC off as long as I didnt actually turn it back on before hooking up to Link.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #102
Rock Crawler

It could be the batteries are starting to go. They may be 3.9v just sitting, but with a load they drop to 3.2 or lower.
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #103
RCC Addict

They are both new packs. Turnigy Nano Tech 1500mah 35-70C. Everything electronics wise except my RX is new. Next time I get a chance to go out, I'm going to take a couple other batteries with me.

I was just curious if anyone else had a similar experience with this ESC yet.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #104
RCC Addict

Is it cold in Vegas or where you were running?
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

being turnigy it is possible they came that way from the factory.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
robert@castle, is the MMP going to be discontinued anytime soon?
Yes, we are working through the process of discontinuing the MMP and sensorless motors. We will still continue to support the product and will still be building for third party options of it(Holmes, Traxxas, ect... ). We may also continue to sell the 1 cell as there is no plans to make a Mamba X 1 cell at this time.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #107
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I ran my Mamba X Thursday with the brushed motor (HH 16T Crawlmaster Pro). It started acting like it hit lipo cutoff so I swapped batteries. We checked the voltage Pilot_MM's lipo checker thing and it was at 10.86 IIRC. He had left before I finished the next pack, but when I hooked them up to my charger at home, one pack was sitting at ~3.6-3.75v per cell and the other pack was all at 3.8-3.9v per cell. My cutoff is set at 3.2v. I spoke with someone at Castle who said that it was normal to have voltage that high after sitting a while, but I cant recall ever having it that high after hitting cutoff on my other 6 Castle ESCs.

I would check the logs, but it deleted them...I set it up to delete at 90%, but I ASSumed that I would be able to pull data after I shut the ESC off as long as I didnt actually turn it back on before hooking up to Link.
I would run again and check the logs. It may be that because of the size of the pack you are running the input voltage is dropping fairly significantly under load and it thinks it needs to cut off to protect the battery.

An extreme example of how much packs can sag in voltage is when we were testing the Mamba Monster for use in the Traxxas E-revo with NiMH packs we found under hard accelerations the packs would drop from 16.8V to ~2V and it was causing the processor on the ESC to reset.

With a brushed motor in a crawler you are never going to pull that many amps, but if your pack is half discharged and doesn't have the grunt to keep up, it might fall below the 3.2v per cell. If this is a consistent problem you could lower the cutoff to 3.0v per cell.

Then again, this could be another firmware issue. We don't do very much testing of brushed mode(obviously since we never checked if the stock firmware could run one). The sidewinder sv3 had an issue where it would never do low voltage cutoff in brushed mode and that firmware was out for 3 years before someone noticed.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:58 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
Yes, we are working through the process of discontinuing the MMP and sensorless motors. We will still continue to support the product and will still be building for third party options of it(Holmes, Traxxas, ect... ). We may also continue to sell the 1 cell as there is no plans to make a Mamba X 1 cell at this time.
Well that sucks!!!
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:01 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

Is there a trade up program from mmp to mamba x?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Constant Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant Threat View Post
Is there a trade up program from mmp to mamba x?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
You would need to talk to the guys in tech support(Joe, Thomas, Jason) or the ladies in sales(Rebecca, Jenny) about that one. I assume there will be one eventually if we don't already have one. We had one for the other X series controllers, so it would shock me if we didn't do it again.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Just ordered one through my LHS.

Now to plan the motor...
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #112
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
Well that sucks!!!
For both us and our distributors limiting the number of SKU's is important because for every SKU we have to keep a certain amount in stock on the shelves of distributors so they can supply hobby shops and we have to keep a certain amount in stock for direct sales. Every product that is sitting on a shelf costs both companies money, so it is essential to limit the number of products we have to keep overhead costs as low as we can. We will keep replacement stock for repairs and warranty for a few years, but fully packaged new units will likely start to disappear from shelves soon as they sell out.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Hell yes. Can't wait to run this sucker.
Attached Images

SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Hell yes. Can't wait to run this sucker.
Ditto...
Attached Images

slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
I would run again and check the logs. It may be that because of the size of the pack you are running the input voltage is dropping fairly significantly under load and it thinks it needs to cut off to protect the battery.

An extreme example of how much packs can sag in voltage is when we were testing the Mamba Monster for use in the Traxxas E-revo with NiMH packs we found under hard accelerations the packs would drop from 16.8V to ~2V and it was causing the processor on the ESC to reset.

With a brushed motor in a crawler you are never going to pull that many amps, but if your pack is half discharged and doesn't have the grunt to keep up, it might fall below the 3.2v per cell. If this is a consistent problem you could lower the cutoff to 3.0v per cell.

Then again, this could be another firmware issue. We don't do very much testing of brushed mode(obviously since we never checked if the stock firmware could run one). The sidewinder sv3 had an issue where it would never do low voltage cutoff in brushed mode and that firmware was out for 3 years before someone noticed.
I got another run in yesterday and discovered that one of my new packs appears to have a bad/weak cell. The surging only occurred with that pack and after it when it hit cutoff, we checked the individual cell voltage (after a few minutes of sitting) and 2 cells were at 3.85ish volts and one was around 3.4.

I may be switching this truck back to brushless too...I've gotten spoiled by the power.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #116
Pebble Pounder

Will this esc be ok paired with an 1/8th scale motor like the new sensored 2650 motor since the esc is 1/10th scale?
Jeep757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Ask castle, you might think the bigger MMX.....

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep757 View Post
Will this esc be ok paired with an 1/8th scale motor like the new sensored 2650 motor since the esc is 1/10th scale?
I don't see why not. You won't get the maximum out of the motor without a larger esc but it'll run just fine.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:39 AM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep757 View Post
Depends on the setup, it might be. The ESC for use with the 1512 motors in 1/8th scale buggies. We have not tested the ESC with a bomber or yeti with the 1/8th scale motors, but I imagine that it would probably be just fine.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #120
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Depends on the setup, it might be. The ESC for use with the 1512 motors in 1/8th scale buggies. We have not tested the ESC with a bomber or yeti with the 1/8th scale motors, but I imagine that it would probably be just fine.
Any chance it could be tested with a yeti? That's what rc I would look at putting this in and running. Bashing around the yard, jumping, trails and up n down the road.
Jeep757 is offline   Reply With Quote

New Castle Mamba X (sucessor of Mamba Max Pro) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
castle mamba max pro help bcgal0004 Axial Wraith 5 04-05-2012 07:41 AM