Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help a newb with BEC+servo questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2016, 05:42 AM   #1

Default Help a newb with BEC+servo questions

Hi!
I am a newcomer to RC hobby. I have begun constructing my Axial Yeti 1/10 kit. For ESC I bought hobbywing ezrun wp sc8 and for motor the Axial 3150kv brushless (same which comes with RTR). I have not yet bought other electronics but now I am at loss with all the info and have hard time fathoming all this.
I plan to run the combo with 3S lipo, as for servo I am planning on getting Savox 1211SG.
More I have been reading about this setup, more it seems I might need an external BEC unit for servo and since I have not yet soldered electronics together I want to do it "right" the first time and install BEC from the beginning.

Now this is where it gets confusing. What sort of BEC would be sufficent for this setup? I have eyed Castle Creations 10A BEC which should be plenty, but I have no interest in getting the castlelink interface. Will the stock setting in servo (5,1V) be enough? Servo seems to be operating at 6V but does this mean that BEC will have to provide at least that voltage or is BEC voltage for the reciever? Also I was wondering if cheaper 5A with 6V output Turnigy BEC will be sufficent?

I live in remote place with no RC hobby shops nearby so I have to order almost all the electronics from internet so I would like to get the right electronics from the get go

Thank you so much!
jasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The castle bec is totally adjustable with the link. If you have a voltmeter pickup HeyOK 's adjustable bec you will want at least 6v for your servo 5.1 doesn't let your servo work its best.
I'm also not sure that servo has enough torque.... for that money get a Promodeler 420

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/heynbradj.htm

And if you want the servo at 7.4v use a Holmes cable

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 12-13-2016 at 06:02 AM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:14 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I run the Tekin 3000kv sensored on mine and am running a Hitech 7954 at 7.4 volts using a castle bec wired directly with a deans plug

What tires wheel comb are you planning on ? If big and heavy I would look at a servo around 400oz
Savox 1256, Hitech 7954, ProModeler420...
I run all 3.... you want the power !
(1256 is on my 2wd)

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 12-13-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help a newb with BEC+servo questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasso View Post
have eyed Castle Creations 10A BEC which should be plenty, but I have no interest in getting the castlelink interface. !
I bought my CC at my local hobby shop, who set my voltage for me. You can always ask. I also have two Heyok BEC's with zero issues, only reason I didn't do the third was that I needed the BEC that day.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #5

Thanks a lot, helpful stuff. HeyOK seems to be the best option, going to order that one.
As for Servo, I still have to investigate further it seems
SG1211 is still more powerful than the RTR servo right? Also waterproof gear is much needed since it's snowy in here for 4-5months / year
Old 12-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yes it is an upgrade from the tactic. It also seems to be quick.
When you order the HeyOK, tell him what voltage to set it at, order direct and it will be at your door plug and play.... Al is a good guy !

Hang up and Drive
Old 12-13-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasso View Post
SG1211 is still more powerful than the RTR servo right? Also waterproof gear is much needed since it's snowy in here for 4-5months / year

There are a lot of methods of making a servo water resistant, which opens your options up. All of my servos claim they are water proof/resistant, but that hasn't stopped me from opening them all up and water proofing them myself. I guess what I am saying is don't let that limit your list of contenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
When you order the HeyOK, tell him what voltage to set it at, order direct and it will be at your door plug and play.... Al is a good guy !
Plus you can contact Al directly on RCC, tell him what you want and he will tell you what you need . Kidding aside you can pretty much get a BEC customized to what you need. Last one I asked for longer wires so I didn't need to splice and he readily accommodated my request.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 12-13-2016 at 08:28 AM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Bump for the HEYOK Bec its plug and play and awesome. I had the castle link already and my LHS carries CC stuff so thats where i went. Either way a BEC is a badass upgrade for steering with a good servo.
bongsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #9

Thanks for replys, ordered HEYOK BEC and Savox 1210 servo, seems to have a bit more torque than the 1211g model.

Help a newb with BEC+servo questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo and BEC questions Mopardude Electronics 5 04-19-2015 04:10 PM
New servo and bec questions Rockroaster Axial Wraith 10 05-09-2014 05:03 PM
BEC to servo newb question. turbotron Electronics 5 10-10-2012 10:18 AM
gearing/servo/BEC questions gta3wheeler Newbie General 3 12-25-2007 10:23 PM
ESC / Servo / BEC Wiring Questions??? RCholic Electronics 1 09-18-2007 06:11 AM