Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What the newest cheap servo hotness?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 10:31 AM   #561

Default Re: What the newest cheap servo hotness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Then what do you call a plastic gear in $180 Hitec servos?
I think I've stated how much I avoid Hitec.

It's news to me that they have a plastic gear in a $180 servo, but I reiterate - Hitec.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #562
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns303 View Post
After around 4 hours of driving. Pretty bummed, had high hopes for this one.
That sucks the gears are the weak point, that's what I feared. It's disappointing that servo mfg's put fancy motors in dolled up cases but still use razor-thin gears hardly any bigger than S148 gears.

Edit: looking at your before & after pics, do you think maybe that center gear needs a shim above it? It looks like only 2/3 of it was engaging, but they mesh 100% in the static picture. I'd also recommend using some high-pressure axle grease on the gears, friction from poor lube could be wearing them down quickly.

Last edited by Hydrocarbon92; 05-14-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:36 AM   #563
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawns303 View Post
Used these two gears out of this servo, slipped right in. The ratio goes up a bit so will be a little faster with a little less torque but easier than trying to source a new gearset!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I ordered the CLS 6336 and it'll be here Saturday. I want to swap in titanium gears from another servo like reefs 444 or the 555 and see if the will fit in the JX. at that point id still only have $55 in it. there has to be replacement titanium gears that will fit the high torque jx servos. hopefully that's what the company uses for gears in the future.
intheworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:41 AM   #564
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
That sucks the gears are the weak point, that's what I feared. It's disappointing that servo mfg's put fancy motors in dolled up cases but still use razor-thin gears hardly any bigger than S148 gears.

Edit: looking at your before & after pics, do you think maybe that center gear needs a shim above it? It looks like only 2/3 of it was engaging, but they mesh 100% in the static picture. I'd also recommend using some high-pressure axle grease on the gears, friction from poor lube could be wearing them down quickly.

it does look like the gear had room to move and then gave way. How was the power of this thing during those 4 hours? What do you think about swapping in a titanium replacement gear set from another servo?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #565
Rock Crawler

It would be great if steel or titanium gearset that does have the same pitch as JX, Savox sets are only $20-30.

My experience swapping gears between just 2 servos wasn't great. The motor gear was a different pitch, so I had to pull them off the motors & press back on. They were different brands though, and my guess is most brands use the same motor gear pitch in their lineup.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #566
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
It would be great if steel or titanium gearset that does have the same pitch as JX, Savox sets are only $20-30.

My experience swapping gears between just 2 servos wasn't great. The motor gear was a different pitch, so I had to pull them off the motors & press back on. They were different brands though, and my guess is most brands use the same motor gear pitch in their lineup.
damn pitch. lol. my buddy has the 444 but I'm pretty certain he's not gonna let me take it apart to compare gears with my JX. swapping gears will be the only way to get these jx servos to last. but after all the time and energy spent when do you draw the line and buy a $120 555 servo. your paying that much to not have to deal with all this. but like we discussed befor HC they are getting theirs off the boat too so its just a matter of finding the source.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:57 AM   #567
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

There is no such thing as titanium gears. They are aluminum with Ti plating. Steel will be strongest, brass will be longer wearing, aluminum will simply be lightest and also weakest.

JX servo is a bit of unfortunate circumstance for me. They are a former employee of my OEM, took the engineering work I did on the 12v servos and started JX. Not surprising that they are using cheaper gear and pin materials though, that is standard china practice to make things as cheaply as possible but look like the "quality" knockoff. I can see plainly that they took the entire design from the V1, which had enough flaws to warrant a V2. There is also a "new" 12v servo on the block that JX is supplying. Good luck buddy, I already know what your failure rate is going to be. Better be prepared to lose your shirt or piss off a lot of people. Even my own OEM had some choice words about the quality of JX, and you know it is bad when a chinese company is talking crap about quality.

My v1 gearset should drop into the JX case. If anybody wants affordable gears, give them a shot. I'll refund your money if they don't fit. Most likely, your case is already too damaged to avoid further gear issues though.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #568
Rock Crawler

Thanks for piping up, I wasn't sure what the deal was regarding similarities but I figured that was most likely. I don't intend on buying the 46kg, but with your gears & unmangled case would they even be halfway decent at lower voltages?
Old 05-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #569
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Should be decent once you get it running again. Assuming the case tolerances aren't totally off and mesh is out of whack. More than likely the electronics are good, but they could be skimped on as well. Cheaper FETs, cheaper magnetics in the motors, etc.. There is also the tuning of the servo that is rather important, but they likely took all the information on that too when they left.

They also took all the email lists from the former employer. I got an email on the first day of business. They had to quickly back track, it was quite funny but also a forewarning of what was coming.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #570
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
There is no such thing as titanium gears. They are aluminum with Ti plating. Steel will be strongest, brass will be longer wearing, aluminum will simply be lightest and also weakest.

JX servo is a bit of unfortunate circumstance for me. They are a former employee of my OEM, took the engineering work I did on the 12v servos and started JX. Not surprising that they are using cheaper gear and pin materials though, that is standard china practice to make things as cheaply as possible but look like the "quality" knockoff. I can see plainly that they took the entire design from the V1, which had enough flaws to warrant a V2. There is also a "new" 12v servo on the block that JX is supplying. Good luck buddy, I already know what your failure rate is going to be. Better be prepared to lose your shirt or piss off a lot of people. Even my own OEM had some choice words about the quality of JX, and you know it is bad when a chinese company is talking crap about quality.

My v1 gearset should drop into the JX case. If anybody wants affordable gears, give them a shot. I'll refund your money if they don't fit. Most likely, your case is already too damaged to avoid further gear issues though.
Thats a shame but unfortunately not much we can do about Chinese manufacturers causing trouble like this. In the 3d printing market space we have to deal with this sort of issue quite often. Thankfully you have built up a very reliable brand that is widely know for its quality in the crawler market. I for one would much prefer to support a US based, enthusiastic, and quality based company like yours over XYZ China rando company. Not all Chinese parts are bad, but as Ive said before they are new to this whole free market thing and there is a huge culture / language barrier that allows for way too much ambiguity.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #571
I wanna be Dave

And to think the only reason I ordered my JX 12V BLS was to use as an emergency backup for my never-been-powered-up-yet Holmes Hobbies SHV500 v1.0!

Too funny/tragic....

Ah, well - my Bomber build isn't complete yet for them to be run.

Will probably not build it until after I've found and started my new job.

It's truly a shame that JX went and did all that...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #572
I wanna be Dave

I got my jx 12v 46kg servo hooked it up and poof the ground burned up from the reciver to the esc everything seems ok just smoked some wire insulation rechecked all my conections everything was rjght mid charged 3s only thing i can think of is a bad ground inside the servo i submitted a ticket to gearbest so ill see what happens if nkt ill open a paypal case dident even get the thing hooked up damb i hope ofs just a isolated issue maybe they will send a new one maybe ill.just get my money back but im still bumed i had higb hopes
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #573
RCC Addict

Quote:
... you know it is bad when a chinese company is talking crap about quality.

That does put it squarely in perspective.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #574
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
I got my jx 12v 46kg servo hooked it up and poof the ground burned up from the reciver to the esc

Usually that indicates a dead short. I've done that hooking things up to 18650's that decided to die - insulation does the "Indiana Jones 2" melting deal. If nothing else save the gears for another member.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:32 AM   #575
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Should be decent once you get it running again. Assuming the case tolerances aren't totally off and mesh is out of whack. More than likely the electronics are good, but they could be skimped on as well. Cheaper FETs, cheaper magnetics in the motors, etc.. There is also the tuning of the servo that is rather important, but they likely took all the information on that too when they left.

They also took all the email lists from the former employer. I got an email on the first day of business. They had to quickly back track, it was quite funny but also a forewarning of what was coming.
what are the chances of the replacement gears fitting this servo?

cls6336

Old 05-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #576
I wanna be Dave

Yup shorted out internally thankfully it dident take out my esc just some insulation on the ground wire Im gona try to get a replacement and ill just use it for my redcat if i get a new one if they refund my money ill get something else after reading what holmes had to say i wish i never bought any jx brand servos and probably wont again im hoping to get the holmes12v for the wraith this summer
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #577
RCC Addict

What is the difference between 180 and 270 'control angle'? I got a couple of the 180's and they seem to work normally. So what does a '270' do differently?

Update: The DS3215 from china is working fine, although the horn screw fell out and the setscrews came loose, it got pretty wobbly but did not fall off completely. The last time I locktited a servo horn I could never get it back off, so just a dab of blue this time. I'm running it at 7.4v on the built in BEC on HW1080.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #578
RCC Addict

The servos are capable of 180/270 degrees rotation if the transmitter supports it. The 360, on the other hand, will turn 360 degrees one way or the other with any radio, and the speed relates to how far you turn the wheel each way.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 05-21-2018 at 10:05 AM.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #579
I wanna be Dave

I accidentally bought the 270deg version of the DS3218 servo (less than $20) and it made zero difference in its functionality on my Ascender.

I've had it since mid-December last year, 6 months and it's still cruising along without any complaints...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:51 AM   #580
Quarry Creeper

I think this is about as good as its going to get for this price point of $31.99 free shipping. The JX CLS 6336 on 7.4V states to have 494 oz in. Now I don't know the real numbers but here is a little bench video.
It's a lot faster and more powerful than the JX 6221, the gears are a titanium coated aluminum.

https://youtu.be/12LXdxhMthk

Last edited by intheworks; 05-22-2018 at 06:08 AM.

What the newest cheap servo hotness? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some New T1Erc Hotness! rockpayne Chassis and Suspension 75 05-02-2014 06:23 PM
The new bling hotness WHITE-TRASH Axial AX-10 Scorpion 179 08-11-2013 01:34 PM
New Hotness 4xFord Superclass Crawlers 48 10-21-2012 08:29 PM
The Hotness hitman46mod General Crawlers 111 08-20-2011 01:42 PM