Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What the newest cheap servo hotness?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #641
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What the newest cheap servo hotness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
...because it's the same as one of the cheap servos in this thread?

Do you mean the JX ones? to be totally honest this thread is way too long to read lol.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2018, 09:55 PM   #642
Rock Crawler

I've been thinking about my earlier comment about high-pressure grease. It was mostly made in jest, but I'm thinking that could be a thing. Similar problems result if you use the wrong grease in an automotive axle/bearing or oil in a diff/transmission.

I'd recommend people with 46kg JX's clean the stock goo off any try some good synthetic H-P or moly grease (not lithium grease).

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Generally speaking, titanium is a harder metal than aluminum and is nearly as hard as heat-treated alloy steels.
I hate to really nitpick but too many people repeat this incorrect info. It bugs me to death.

Titanium is only good when it comes to weight or reactivity. It can be about as strong as steel but lighter, 5% weaker & 45% lighter for typical alloys. If the size of the part is unrestricted, aluminum/magnesium/beryllium can all be lighter & stronger. For a gear where dimensions will be the same & high-performance alloys of both are used, the steel will ALWAYS be stronger - and more ductile, shock resistant, wear resistant, harder, etc. Even so, Inconel makes them ALL look silly. But I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Our servos are advertised "dynamic" torque. Not static torque from a fish scale. As was pointed out in the video. I am very surprised they were that high on pure static. Definitely something to be excited about.
Do you mind explaining this "dynamic" torque, because my BS meter appears to be pegged. Your webpage literally says "Stall Torque (11.1v): 527oz". Stall torque is defined literally as "the torque produced by a mechanical device whose output rotational speed is zero". In the vid at 12v it shows 484.9oz using the outside hole on that arm (1" from shaft centerline) at 90 degrees when it stalls, or 8% short.

For reference, the same test jig recorded 550oz/in for the Turnigy 959v1 at 5.7v & 498oz/in for the v2 while the G13 needed 15.8v to hit 566.7oz/in. The Achilles heel of the cheap servos seem to be the gears, so I really hope to never hear of a G13 gear failure - or at the very least zero-hassle repairs of any gear probs.

Last edited by Hydrocarbon92; 07-06-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #643
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
I've been thinking about my earlier comment about high-pressure grease. It was mostly made in jest, but I'm thinking that could be a thing. Similar problems result if you use the wrong grease in an automotive axle/bearing or oil in a diff/transmission.

I'd recommend people with 46kg JX's clean the stock goo off any try some good synthetic H-P or moly grease (not lithium grease).

I hate to really nitpick but too many people repeat this incorrect info. It bugs me to death.

Titanium is only good when it comes to weight or reactivity. It can be about as strong as steel but lighter, 5% weaker & 45% lighter for typical alloys. If the size of the part is unrestricted, aluminum/magnesium/beryllium can all be lighter & stronger. For a gear where dimensions will be the same & high-performance alloys of both are used, the steel will ALWAYS be stronger - and more ductile, shock resistant, wear resistant, harder, etc. Even so, Inconel makes them ALL look silly. But I digress.

Do you mind explaining this "dynamic" torque, because my BS meter appears to be pegged. Your webpage literally says "Stall Torque (11.1v): 527oz". Stall torque is defined literally as "the torque produced by a mechanical device whose output rotational speed is zero". In the vid at 12v it shows 484.9oz using the outside hole on that arm (1" from shaft centerline) at 90 degrees when it stalls, or 8% short.

For reference, the same test jig recorded 550oz/in for the Turnigy 959v1 at 5.7v & 498oz/in for the v2 while the G13 needed 15.8v to hit 566.7oz/in. The Achilles heel of the cheap servos seem to be the gears, so I really hope to never hear of a G13 gear failure - or at the very least zero-hassle repairs of any gear probs.

This times 100. Much more detailed statement explaining what I meant by the servo under performing.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #644
RCC Addict

Quote:

Dynamic torque is measured with a digital device that clamps to the top of the servo. It is very accurate and is often used on rotational loads. It calculates the peak torque with speed that the servo produces.

The difference between our servo and the others is that ours runs very cool. You can come to a stall 20 times and hold it running 4s and the servos do not get hot. Unlike many others. The hotter the servo gets the more power it looses. Ours stay consistent.

As far as " Achilles heel of the cheep servos". you must believe all servos are cheap with that statement. Because anyone who has any substantial experience using servos knows that no gear set in indestructible.
We are very confident with the way our servos are designed. And our customers back that up.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #645
RCC Addict

So when you say "dynamic torque", you mean the amount of torque the servo can transmit while the motor/gears/hub are rotating? I guess that's good to know, but why would it be different from the amount of torque the servo can transmit when stalled? The servo is powered by an electric motor, so the torque should be the same regardless of whether the motor is able to rotate or not.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #646
Rock Crawler

That seems to spit in the face of the fact that motors have optimal operating temperatures, because it isn’t as simple as cool == better...
Old 07-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #647
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
That seems to spit in the face of the fact that motors have optimal operating temperatures, because it isn’t as simple as cool == better...

Our servos do not have air conditioning.....Figure of speech
Old 07-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #648
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
So when you say "dynamic torque", you mean the amount of torque the servo can transmit while the motor/gears/hub are rotating? I guess that's good to know, but why would it be different from the amount of torque the servo can transmit when stalled? The servo is powered by an electric motor, so the torque should be the same regardless of whether the motor is able to rotate or not.
A dynamic torque measurement involves an acceleration factor. Which usually will read slightly higher than a static torque measurement of the same servo. A lot of manufacturers use dynamic torque ratings. Tekin and Protek being two of them.

Last edited by holycaveman; 07-07-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:59 PM   #649
RCC Addict

Bummer...looks like the Promodelers are on b/o for awhile. Just because I decided to get one.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:54 PM   #650
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Dynamic torque is measured with a digital device that clamps to the top of the servo. It is very accurate and is often used on rotational loads. It calculates the peak torque with speed that the servo produces.
This article seems to explain it, but it's flat-out stating that dynamic torque is different from static torque. The best description they use is measuring a multi-cyl IC engine at the crankshaft vs measuring at the wheels. Static torque is the average torque seen at the wheels while dynamic is the peak for each combustion event, usually called peak instantaneous torque. A Honda 2.4L will actually have a higher instantaneous torque than a Ferrari 3.6L v8, but we know which has more HP. Just recently SAE engine ratings have changed to reflect what's actually happening. In the 60's they used SAE Gross, which was with no accessories, no water pump, no flywheel - which lead to "gross" differences.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1273988

In any case, your website only lists stall torque. It's also pointless to tell us dynamic torque but not stall torque when every other MFG does the opposite. Imagine if Ford measured how much force it takes to rip off the trailer hitch, then listed that as "tow rating".

I understand everything can break, but for 3-4 times the price I'd expect 3-4x less broken gears or replacements that are 3-4x cheaper. $18 for a gearset is 1/3 the price of an entire JX servo.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 PM   #651
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Bummer...looks like the Promodelers are on b/o for awhile. Just because I decided to get one.
I spoke with him a couple weeks ago, 3rd week of july is when they are getting a shipment of 470s in.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:00 AM   #652
RCC Addict

Quote:
This article seems to explain it, but it's flat-out stating that dynamic torque is different from static torque. The best description they use is measuring a multi-cyl IC engine at the crankshaft vs measuring at the wheels. Static torque is the average torque seen at the wheels while dynamic is the peak for each combustion event, usually called peak instantaneous torque. A Honda 2.4L will actually have a higher instantaneous torque than a Ferrari 3.6L v8, but we know which has more HP. Just recently SAE engine ratings have changed to reflect what's actually happening. In the 60's they used SAE Gross, which was with no accessories, no water pump, no flywheel - which lead to "gross" differences.

https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1273988

In any case, your website only lists stall torque. It's also pointless to tell us dynamic torque but not stall torque when every other MFG does the opposite. Imagine if Ford measured how much force it takes to rip off the trailer hitch, then listed that as "tow rating".

I understand everything can break, but for 3-4 times the price I'd expect 3-4x less broken gears or replacements that are 3-4x cheaper. $18 for a gearset is 1/3 the price of an entire JX servo.
Guys who run our servos will never run a turnigy. Our guys want support as well as a quality product. They want a compamy that if they have any issue they know they will get it taken care of in a couple of days not month's or in case of the cheap ones.........never. Those cheap servos are not even in the same ballpark. Our servos have the reputation of being one of the strongest servos on the market. And we stand behind them.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:31 AM   #653
RCC Addict

I understand your concern as far as static vs stall. And they way our website read could be a bit confusing. Regardless its one of the strongest on the market. And the way its designed it will keep pulling the max torque at a stall without failure.

All the best.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:56 AM   #654
RCC Addict

All right, I have a G13 on pre order for the Bomber...let's see whatcha got ;)

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #655
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
All right, I have a G13 on pre order for the Bomber...let's see whatcha got ;)

let us know how it pans out!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:08 AM   #656
RCC Addict

Quote:
let us know how it pans out!
Will do. It'll be replacing a DS3218 so I would expect a rather noticeable difference in performance if it lives up to spec.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:27 AM   #657
RCC Addict

I ordered a ds3218 for $12.75 shipped from ebay this evening. That 15% off coupon was enough for me to stray from my equally cheap go-to mg958, mostly because it will be here in a few days, instead of a few weeks as when shipped from China. This will be replacing a Traxxas 2075 on a Slash with 2.2 Ripsaws, so more than doubling the torque, and a few hundredths of a second faster will both be appreciated.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #658
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I ordered a ds3218 for $12.75 shipped from ebay this evening. That 15% off coupon was enough for me to stray from my equally cheap go-to mg958, mostly because it will be here in a few days, instead of a few weeks as when shipped from China. This will be replacing a Traxxas 2075 on a Slash with 2.2 Ripsaws, so more than doubling the torque, and a few hundredths of a second faster will both be appreciated.
You have a 2075 that hasnt burnt itself out yet? Lucky dog! Every 2075 ive had blew its fuse during normal 2s SCT use. 4 for 4.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:03 PM   #659
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You have a 2075 that hasnt burnt itself out yet? Lucky dog! Every 2075 ive had blew its fuse during normal 2s SCT use. 4 for 4.

Ive got two , I’ve replaced gears on both, but they keep on going. 2 and 4WD slashes , 3s brushless

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #660

My Slashpede 4x4 is still on the original servo, despite having broken almost every other part on the truck.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

What the newest cheap servo hotness? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some New T1Erc Hotness! rockpayne Chassis and Suspension 75 05-02-2014 06:23 PM
The new bling hotness WHITE-TRASH Axial AX-10 Scorpion 179 08-11-2013 01:34 PM
New Hotness 4xFord Superclass Crawlers 48 10-21-2012 08:29 PM
The Hotness hitman46mod General Crawlers 111 08-20-2011 01:42 PM