Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HW XR10 with 21.5 Motor Combo Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default HW XR10 with 21.5 Motor Combo Problems

I was running a Castle SCT ESC with a brushed 35T motor in my Wraith, and burnt up a couple of motors. On advise from others, I bought the HW XR10 ESC with the 21.5 motor, plus the programmer.

So far, the best thing I can say about this combo is that the programmer makes for a very good lipo checker, other than that it has been a $120 waste.

I was running the system with my DX6e, and was doing ok, but there was a giant lag between forward and reverse, and it would lurch in both directions with the initial throttle inputs in both directions. I went through the settings a couple of times, and could not find a setting to get this lag to go away, and to get rid of the lurch. Even setting the throttle expo curve so that it was almost flat did not help.

So, I thought there might be a problem between the DX6e and the XR10, perhaps there is some sort of aircraft setting I had not found yet that was preventing smooth transition between forward to reverse.

I decided to try swapping to my DX5R. Sure enough, the lag was still there. Also, with all throttle settings at zero, there was a bit of reverse on the motor. Easy-peasy, it should be as easy as recalibrating it... Nope, every time I try to go into calibration mode the ESC just flashes a continuous red LED and refuses to do anything else. Also, after it started this, just turning on the ESC with the radio on makes it go in full reverse.

Now I am thinking there is a serious issue between the XR10 and the DX5R, so I switch back to the DX6e and have the exact same symptoms. The ESC will not go into cal mode properly and when started up w/o cal mode it goes full reverse (I had initially calibrated the XR10 and DX6e when I first installed the ESC/motor combo).

So, is this thing broke, so have I done something wrong? The manual says that the continuous red blinking LED means the ESC is not plugged into the RX correctly, or the throttle is not at zero, both have been verified. I have tried resetting the ESC to factory defaults with the same results.

Needless to say, I am not happy...

Aside from the programmer being a very good lipo checker, I will say that when climbing at low speed, the power is very smooth with no stuttering. But the lurching and lag issue make technical crawling impossible.

Here are the settings I have programmed in:
1. Running Mode: Forward/Reverse (Rock crawler)
2. Drag Brake Force: 100%
3. Cutoff Voltage: 3.2VDC
4. Start Mode (Punch): Level 1
5. Max Brake Force: 75% (default)
6. Max Reverse Force: 100%
7: Initial Brake Force: 100%
8: Neutral Range: 9% (default)
9: Timing: NA
10. Overheat Protection: Enabled.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Greatscott; 06-22-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2017, 09:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HW XR10 with 21.5 Motor Combo Problems

Play with neutral range and punch in the esc, deadband and expo in your transmitter.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Did you update the firmware of the esc? Maybe you have an old version?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
OvrKll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I run the 60A Justock and have lag, but no lurch.

It's bound and calibrated quite well to my Tactic.

I agree, try the neutral range. Otherwise, maybe contact HW. See what they say. But yeah, the lag is annoying.
slowmethinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Might have positive progress on this thing. The first go around with the firmware didn't take and all problems persisted. So, I did it again, then told it to reset to default, then programmed in the settings and it looks like it now likes my DX5R, the lag is A LOT shorter, and between the firmware update and the expo settings on my 5R, I think there is now an acceptable amount of lurch/punch.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote

HW XR10 with 21.5 Motor Combo Problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR10 ESC & Motor Combo (Greg) Electronics 11 03-11-2011 04:58 PM
AX10 Motor Plate/Motor Mounting Problems md7989 Electronics 8 11-25-2010 01:30 PM
novak rooster crawler combo problems wojin Electronics 3 07-06-2008 12:29 AM