Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Using an air radio instead of surface

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Using an air radio instead of surface

I've been pondering this for a bit as I have 5 RTR TX's which are all pretty limited in the channel department.

I need up to 6 channels for my Traxxas as it has 4 servos and I cannot set end points on 3 and I want to add a winch.

6 channel transmitters are either cheap feeling and reportedly a bit flaky like the FlySky stuff or very expensive like the Futaba/Spektrum gear.

Now I happen to already have a spare DX7 version II and an 8 ch DSM2 RX and I'm thinking about trying it.

How do you guys that use air radios find them? Is it as easy controlling your trucks with a stick or a bit frustrating?

I use my surface radios across my body as I steer with my left hand so being mode 1 I probably can drive ok with a air radio.

It's annoying that to get a surface RX that has enough channels plus end points for all channels and enough analogue switches to control everything that you have to pay big dollars.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2017, 09:00 PM   #2
clm
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Using an air radio instead of surface

How the two stick radio feels to anyone but yourself is somewhat meaningless. If you already have the radio and already have the receiver just try it... Tinkering is what this hobby is about

Two stick is pretty much where Tamiya started in the scale truck market.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

A lot of guys run dual sticks for there moa rigs. I used my buddys before and really liked it for an moa, since your controlling dual motors and f/r dig while turning. It makes it a lot easier to multitask.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:27 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
It's annoying that to get a surface RX that has enough channels plus end points for all channels and enough analogue switches to control everything that you have to pay big dollars.
With a liitle do it your self you can get an upto 8 ch surface radio for less than 50$ and for round 10$ the matching RX
just get an gt3b or gt3c and flash a new firmware to it. it just needs a little soldering and following really good instructions

or u wait till this one is released https://www.asiatees.com/article?Fly...er-Set&id=2974

Last edited by magic_yeti; 08-11-2017 at 02:30 AM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Check your local laws, in the states it is illegal to use a air radio for surface applications. In addition to being required to have a license operate on those frequencies, you are subject to large fines and responsible for any damage that may occur if your interference results in damage.

Reality of it is, that there is little to no chance at being caught. Unless you piss someone off and they turn you in.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:19 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Check your local laws, in the states it is illegal to use a air radio for surface applications. In addition to being required to have a license operate on those frequencies, you are subject to large fines and responsible for any damage that may occur if your interference results in damage.

Reality of it is, that there is little to no chance at being caught. Unless you piss someone off and they turn you in.
Don't know the us laws, we have some similar law in germany but only regarding using the old 35 mhz or 40 mhz band not for the new 2.4 ghz band.
incl. the us law 2.4 ghz also?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The 2.4ghz radios use the same band for surface & air, so there shouldn't be any legality issue unless your laws were worded poorly. FlySky radios for instance are only limited if you are using an AFHDS TX (GT3x, TH9, etc) with an AFHDS2 receiver. The AFHDS2 TX are backwards compatible with any RX. The original problem arose because anyone on the same band would knock a plane out of the sky, with 2.4ghz that doesn't happen with the most recent radios.

If you aren't a TX snob and can run FlySky, you can get a i6x 10ch and use any of the 3-10ch RX. I was actually considering that to do some complicated multi-channel stuff & for my sailboat. Another thing I saw was an expander hack from Dasmikro (banggood) that adds an extra 5ch. They can't be adjusted thru the screen, but controlled by switches or pots.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

As much as I love extra channels, and would have tackled a hacked Flysky project in my youth, I just want things to work (more) reliably now.

For your TRX-4, if I were to add a winch, I'd look to (rccrawler vendor) Heyok's integrated winch with its own separate controller.

HeyOK's RC Electronics items (all in one place)

https://www.freewebstore.org/heyok-p..._15354712.aspx
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
If you aren't a TX snob and can run FlySky, you can get a i6x 10ch and use any of the 3-10ch RX. I was actually considering that to do some complicated multi-channel stuff & for my sailboat. Another thing I saw was an expander hack from Dasmikro (banggood) that adds an extra 5ch. They can't be adjusted thru the screen, but controlled by switches or pots.
You can add the Dasmikro expander hardware hack or the 0.61 firmware flash to get to 8ch. With the firmware one you can adjust through the screen but things do get a little cryptic.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Cheers guys!

Hmm...I'm pondering wrapping it up into a 4 channel setup now as that is kind of affordable. It might be worth trying a software hacked 6 or 8 ch FlySky though I have no idea if the extra channels over the 2 or 3 ch versions have end point adjustments as I frequently seem to read about them being attached to toggle switches and people seem to regularly say guys with FlySky radios have issues/glitches which would be frustrating. I've used Spektrum gear for about 7 years now and have had zero issues (well my daughter dropped my DX8 and it started randomly turning off which wasn't so hot flying a mad 3D heli at the time - it only did it when flying and not on the sim or just sitting there; can't blame Spektrum for that).

I've decided to go with a HeyOk wireless keyfob setup as I don't have any spare channels for my SCX10 radio either so I think the HeyOk is the best bet.

It can all get a bit complicated and expensive if you need new radios and receivers for a couple of trucks that required 4-6 channels.

My requirements are fairly modest TBH; be able to set end points and slowly acquire some proper full sized waterproof shift/diff servos. I simply wish Traxxas didn't cheap out and simply added end points for their channels 3 through 5 as I'm fine with their radio.

I think I'm going to permanently lock the rear diff as I don't really like the open diff handling (it turns into a barge) and simply want to be able to lock the front diff and have the shift servo operating (so 4 channels where I can set end points and call it a day with the separate HeyOk system).

I spent some time wandering around holding the DX7 and it's a lot heavier and more awkward (espec so with a lanyard which is needed for a 2 hour walk); regularly climbing down embankments to creeks and the like makes it nearly guaranteed to be bashed around and damaged. I think the surface radio is likely easier all round. Good idea anyway!
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
clm
Quarry Creeper

There are two versions of the Hacked Flysky;

Hardware hacks that use: Dasmikro 6 Channel Expander DIY Kit For Flysky GT3B GT3C Transmitter RC - A | eBay these do not have end point adjustments as they bypass the internal computer.

And then there is the 0.61 firmware flash hack that you get that ends up with DasMikro Customized 8CH Firmware PSX0.6.1 Flysky GT3C Transmitter this one does not use any added in switches or dials instead using the built in buttons, however each and every of the 8 channels has endpoint adjustment.

The flashing is actually very easy and many people around can do that for almost or just slightly above the price of shipping. You only need the firmware file, the program to use the flasher, and a USB programmer, in addition some 4 pin headers can be convenient.

I got a Turnigy GTX3 from Hobbyking, a ST-Link v2 from ebay, and a pack of header pins from ebay and flashed my radio and a friends radio... and still have 392 header pins left.

Pins cost me $3.68 shipped and the USB flasher cost me $4.49 shipped because I ordered from a north America supplier instead of China.

The only error I had was when I was following a Youtube tutorial and they did not plug in the reset pin. Mine kept erroring out until I plugged in the reset pin.

My next mod for it is going to be a power regulator mod so I can run 4 cell AA nimh and the screen diffuser flip.

My favorite thing about this is as it is a cheap radio if you bash it drop it or fry it because of water you can replace it cheaply... Also using the USB programmer you can back up the model memory if you want ;)

Also.. 62 model memory... 62!? What the HECK
Old 08-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I run a 1500mAh 3s lipo in my hacked gt3b without changing the voltage converter. Work fine so far. Was to lasy to solder the recom in

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #13
clm
Quarry Creeper

I have seen a couple voltage regulators used in the hack, I am kind of leaning towards the Pololu one as the Youtube presenter was using it to switch to 4 cell nimh, although that was a couple years ago and I am not sure he has mentioned how it worked in the long run.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #14
RCC Addict

the regulator needs 5v with 0.5A output (gt3b), input depends on the battery you will use. but regular the gt3b uses 12V, i don't know if there are the 12V used before anywhere. cause i haven't looked at it.
I love the run time and the reduces weight, also i had it on hand and fits perfect in the compartment
The regulator mod done in the instructions is made to replace it with an more effective one to increase run time. besides the firmware hack i mostly like the ball bearing mod for the steering, feels much better with it cheap and easy.

Last edited by magic_yeti; 08-15-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #15
clm
Quarry Creeper

The GTX3 from Turnigy comes with the ball bearing mod already done but none of the other flysky mods.

I kind of want to do this mod to mine as I want to stay with 4aa rechargable and the ability to put in 4aa alkaline if my battery dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-mq37YHpmc

But as everyone else seems to use that other regulator with a 2s lipo I am kind of hoping RCMojo responds to my comment to see how that one worked out over time.

Last edited by clm; 08-15-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:21 PM   #16
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post

It might be worth trying a software hacked 6 or 8 ch FlySky though I have no idea if the extra channels over the 2 or 3 ch versions have end point adjustments as I frequently seem to read about them being attached to toggle switches and people seem to regularly say guys with FlySky radios have issues/glitches which would be frustrating.
Channels 3-8 on the Hacked GT3b and GT3C have Trim, EPA's, Reverse, and you can assign them to mixes or independent channels.

Check out the last two pages here to get an initial insight on the auxiliary functions/button control
http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3X-Firmw...lp%20cards.pdf

The firmware hack doesn't add any toggle switches or other controls to the radio. It uses pre-existing buttons and lets you reprogram them to different functions

The Flysky radios are usually the bullies that cause glitching in spektrum radios. I've never had my Flysky glitch on me with a battery that was still good on charge. If they do glitch, it's usually because the antenna wire solder joint inside the radio was damaged when the user took the radio apart to flash a new firmware. So there was very poor or unreliable signal output.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:26 PM   #17
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
or u wait till this one is released https://www.asiatees.com/article?Fly...er-Set&id=2974
I wonder if they kept the STM8S chip in there, might be able to mod the 3B/3C firmware to work on it.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote

Using an air radio instead of surface - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio ideas: surface radio + full mixing of front/rear throttle karajabola Electronics 6 11-21-2014 08:17 PM
Surface radio, air rx Rooney7783 Electronics 3 01-01-2012 05:26 PM
Radio: Air to surface conversion mtnhrdgr2 Newbie General 11 06-08-2010 09:45 AM
2.4 surface or air jaygvert57 Newbie General 10 08-14-2009 06:47 PM
covert this transmitter from air to surface? codycr6 Newbie General 1 07-28-2006 04:47 PM