Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: servo not moving smoothly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default servo not moving smoothly

So my friend had an extra servo still in the box and I needed one for my wraith since my tactic finally crapped out. so I figure what the hell ill try it out. after looking at the specs I figured this thing must pack a decent punch but when I am steering the wraith its not smooth at all! its jumpy when traveling from endpoint to endpoint. this servo is rated from 6v to 8.4v. based on my research I'm pretty sure this thing is power hungry and running this thing from the AE5 isn't going to cut it. so my question is.... what should I do

Link for Servo

1. add a cap on the receiver which is supposed to help regulate the pull of current or
2. get a CC BEC just for the servo, tune it to the 8.4v it can handle and let it rip

I think both of these will solve my problem but figured it wouldnt hurt to get some opinions on here.

TIA

Last edited by intheworks; 12-19-2017 at 12:22 PM.
intheworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: servo not moving smoothly

Yes you need a BEC.
There's a post somewhere hereabouts pointing people in the right direction

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
Slow is the new Fast

I often just use a Racers Edge Glitchbuster. It’s a power capacitor. Should smooth things out.

I generally run them with my high torque servo’s when I upgrade my rtr’s
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

its somewhat of a cheap ervo so it will be choppy
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'd get an external BEC, upgrade your ESC to one with a better internal BEC, or run your servo straight off 2S.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
its somewhat of a cheap ervo so it will be choppy
The tactic was a cheap servo and it wasn’t choppy. I also have a solar d772 with a ccbec at 7.4v. With no issues. I think it just power hungry and wants more voltage
Old 12-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
I'd get an external BEC, upgrade your ESC to one with a better internal BEC, or run your servo straight off 2S.
Great suggestion.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #8

I'm inclined to think there's something else going on. Sure, that servo is probably power hungry, but it shouldn't be sucking that much current just turning it back and forth with no load. Sure, when you're bound up on the rocks it can suck a lot, but not just turning back and forth on a table. I would pop the servo arm off and move your steering back and forth by hand to make sure everything is smooth, and also turn the servo back and forth with it disconnected to see how smooth it is on its own. You can also wire it directly to 2S (since it's safe at 8.4v) and see if it's smoother. I'm guessing that the servo might just be notchy, or something is bound up in your steering.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I read that the internal BEC output can be under 6v even though that's what is rated so if its underpowered it would make sense since it is a high voltage servo but I do agree I need to take off my linkage and make sure everything is smooth. Question though instead on running a second battery just for the servo and trying to be cost effective does anyone have experience with one of these pre programmed UBEC units? if these are any good I would get this for my solar d772 and then use ccbec I have on my bully2 for this higher voltage servo and push the full 8.4V

https://www.banggood.com/AEO-X7-Pro-...r_warehouse=CN
Old 12-20-2017, 06:32 AM   #10

I wasn't suggesting that you run a 2nd battery for the servo, but just temporarily hook it to 2S as a method of diagnosing its functionality.

With respect to those UBECs, I've got a couple here that I've been meaning to test, but I haven't gotten to them yet. Based on their design, they won't provide the continuous current that they're claiming, but they should be able to do it in bursts, which is all you really need for a servo anyway. I'm going to try one of those 7.2v versions on my Gen7. The servo works great with no brown outs on the stock ESC, but I want to raise the voltage to make it a little faster.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Gotcha okay I got a 2s I can use for that. I’m gonna go through it and see what I can find. If anyone else has some feedback on the ubec that’d be cool. Thanks

Last edited by intheworks; 12-20-2017 at 06:55 AM.

servo not moving smoothly - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebuilt axels, now not spining smoothly? BigJonny Team Losi Comp Crawler 1 04-16-2011 11:13 PM
servo moving when using throttle JesterSpec Electronics 7 01-31-2010 01:04 PM
CR-01 problem: wheels not turning smoothly. PumpkinPie Tamiya CR-01 2 01-01-2009 02:14 PM
Moving the servo wire out of the way MOD mysharona Electronics 2 08-01-2008 06:19 PM
The rest of the componenets for moving the servo kelly_and_brian HPI Wheely King 1 02-23-2008 12:23 AM