Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Upside down radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #1

Default Upside down radio

I'm a newbie so hopefully that explains any stupidity I may spew.

I feel more comfortable using a controller with the steering on the left side. But since that's either too pricey or next to impossible, I've just been holding the controller upside down.

My question is are there any lightweight controllers out there? Obviously the bottom has the batteries which makes it top heavy if you're holding it upside down. I was hoping there might be some kind of solution? Or am I just pretty much going to have to get used to it?
JamesBond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Upside down radio

Yeah, most lefty convertible radios are the high end ones. You can check ebay for a used radio, racers are pretty quick to purge their stuff when new stuff comes out. A Spektrum DX3R or DX4R would probably be the ones to look for at a decent price.

Another option would be to hunt down an Arrma ATX300 radio and reciever, those are cheap, light, and easily adaptable.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

A few locals hold the radio in the right hand and just pass the left hand over to the steering wheel. Its not uncomfortable at all actually. I see no reason to get a new radio unless you really want one for other reasons.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #4
RCC Addict

My GF is a lefty. Like John shared, she holds the transmitter in her right hand and crosses her left hand over the top to steer.

I initially found her a convertible setup at Hobbytown but she outgrew its capabilities quickly.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The FlySky GT3C comes with a small USB rechargeable LiPo battery, so if you are thinking of holding it upside down, it has very little weight to the battery compartment.

It has other positives such as a very low price, being able to hack it for more channels, additional receivers being incredibly inexpensive, and a lanyard loop.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Radiolink has several models of "wheel" transmitters than can easily be converted to left hand steering wheels, starting around $40 for an RC3S (4 channel.)

It's been said before, but you've got to use both hands anyway, I'd suggest adapting to "standard" right hand steering controls so that you don't have to awkwardly re-learn the controls anytime someone hands you a new transmitter. I'm not a lefty, and maybe it's just the motorcyclist in me, but I regularly find myself holding the transmitter flat on its side (wheel facing up or down) and never have to cross my hands to operate either throttle or steering, give that a try and you'll see what I mean.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm a bit of a oddball, I'm somewhere in between a lefty and a righty. I hold the TX sideways, throttle with my right hand and steer with my left.

I ended up modding a TX300 to be left handed but ended up not liking that either. But if you're using it upside down already you must be comfortable.
I didn't really go into detail on how I modded the Tactic TX but heres a link to my thread which has a few pictures at the bottom.
Took me a year to realize I'm a lefty

Let me know if you want better pictures or info on this mod, I could open it back up and take pictures if needed.

Oh and what transmitter are you using now?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I'm a bit of a oddball, I'm somewhere in between a lefty and a righty. I hold the TX sideways, throttle with my right hand and steer with my left.

I ended up modding a TX300 to be left handed but ended up not liking that either. But if you're using it upside down already you must be comfortable.
I didn't really go into detail on how I modded the Tactic TX but heres a link to my thread which has a few pictures at the bottom.
Took me a year to realize I'm a lefty

Let me know if you want better pictures or info on this mod, I could open it back up and take pictures if needed.

Oh and what transmitter are you using now?
How did you get the wheel off? I tried to take mine apart for some mods (not related to the left hand thing), but got stuck at taking the wheel off.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
How did you get the wheel off? I tried to take mine apart for some mods (not related to the left hand thing), but got stuck at taking the wheel off.

Yeah I got stuck there too, but eventually I got brave enough to pry off the little plug in the center that covers the last fastener. I didn't realize it was a plug but I figured it just had to be.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Yeah I got stuck there too, but eventually I got brave enough to pry off the little plug in the center that covers the last fastener. I didn't realize it was a plug but I figured it just had to be.
Outside the radio? In the middle of the steering wheel?

MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:55 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Sorry, on the outside in the middle of the wheel.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #12

Sorry for not responding sooner. Kids.

I was using the stock Traxxas 2 channel radio. Now, since I've gotten the Trx-4, I'm using the stock Traxxas 4 channel radio. I've pretty much gotten used to it upside down so I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks for all the help guys.
JamesBond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post

It's been said before, but you've got to use both hands anyway, I'd suggest adapting to "standard" right hand steering controls so that you don't have to awkwardly re-learn the controls anytime someone hands you a new transmitter. I'm not a lefty, and maybe it's just the motorcyclist in me, but I regularly find myself holding the transmitter flat on its side (wheel facing up or down) and never have to cross my hands to operate either throttle or steering, give that a try and you'll see what I mean.
This all day. I'm left handed, and the thought of using an ass-backwards controller never occurred to me. I've adapted to right-handed products for 41 years, and in the process, have become mostly ambidextrous. With something like a controller, there's a similar amount of finesse involved with steering and with accelerating/braking, so I don't see any advantage to doing it backwards. It's not like twisting a wheel left and right is any more challenging than squeezing and pushing a throttle lever, and from a vehicle control standpoint, to be honest, I consider throttle to be more critical than steering anyway.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Upside down radio - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Always Upside down Dbx Vaterra Twin Hammers 95 05-26-2017 05:47 PM
Upside down shocks gamergreg Newbie General 4 09-04-2010 03:29 AM
Are my links upside down? samguan Venom Creeper 10 05-07-2010 10:40 PM
Upside down shocks? brilamb2 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 10-08-2009 02:08 PM
Upside down shocks pbfrk4life General Crawlers 9 04-17-2007 11:53 AM