Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Cc bec 2.0...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Cc bec 2.0...

Anyone using this? Ive searched on here and Google and I'm not finding anything.

I have a constant flashing red LED. I am having intermittent servo jitter and I am wondering if this is the cause. Servo is a JX CLS5830HV with Flysky FS-BS6 rx installed on an SCX10.3, BEC output set to 7.4v.

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2020, 04:44 AM   #2

Default Re: Cc bec 2.0...

How do you have it wired? Is it ran through your RX?
Electroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:00 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Power leads from the bec are soldered to the battery posts on the esc, then both leads are plugged into the RX.

Lou
Old 05-07-2020, 07:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electroz View Post
How do you have it wired? Is it ran through your RX?
Yup... ?

What battery are you running?

If you are running a 2S pack, then you should not have the BEC set for any more than 7VDC, and even that will be pushing things when the pack gets below 3.5VDC/cell. If you are running NiMH, I would not recommend setting it for anything higher that 6VDC. The BEC cannot deliver more voltage than it is supplied.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Battery is a Gens Ace 3s 3600. I have the 3 wire output plugged into the bind port of the rx and the 2 wire lead plugged into ch5. Also, I do have the red wire pulled from the esc plug as well. I’ll have to verify later tonight but I’m 99% the bec is set to 7.4v...

Lou
Old 05-07-2020, 07:51 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Unplug the 2 wire lead...you are probably over volting your RX. I have the 3 wire powering my RX and the two wire isn't needed but I have it directly powering lights.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The rx is rated for 8.5v. How you suggest is how I had it set up originally and I was thinking it’s was not enough juice. I am now leaning toward a bad servo :-/ Jitter is not the best word, it’s more like it “steps” as in the servo moves in increments not linear but it only does it about 30% of the time.

Lou
Old 05-07-2020, 08:07 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I'm saying you don't need both plugged in especially if both the 3 wire and the 2 wire output the same voltage if I am not mistaken.

Try another servo.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You should not have the power from the esc and the bec both going tho yor rx.

The esc has an internal bec that sends power to the rx on the 3 wire connecter.

I have never connected a bec to the rx myself. I send it right to the servo.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Here is how I do it.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:23 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
You should not have the power from the esc and the bec both going tho yor rx.

The esc has an internal bec that sends power to the rx on the 3 wire connecter.

I have never connected a bec to the rx myself. I send it right to the servo.

Lou
Old 05-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

FS-BS6 per specs listed below show a max of 6.4 volts, that might be your issue.

https://usa-m.banggood.com/FlySky-FS...p-1661316.html
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:39 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

There is conflicting aboit about this rx. Lots of people are running it on 7.4v and higher. The case it’s self even says 8.4. I hooked up a different servo and it works as advertised. I have a Reefs 422 on that way and my 10.3 will be back up soon. Thank you everyone for your help.

I still would like to know what the flashing red LED means though...

Lou
Old 05-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

The BEC power should go directly to the servo. Use a RX bypass to take care of the signal wire from the RX to the servo.

Only the ESC power lead should be going to the RX
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
I still would like to know what the flashing red LED means though...

Lou
On the bec right? No idea. Test it with different input voltages and see what happens. Maybe it let's you know when the battery is below threshold. Maybe "blink blink" is binary for ack don't plug all 5 of my wires into the reciever!

There might be more info in the castle programming software. But I didn't see any troubleshooting led info for it either. Which makes me think it's probably not important.

On an esc it depends on the esc. For Castle I think it means it hasn't finished initialization.

On a Hw1080 it means your trims are probably off.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 05-09-2020 at 10:36 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
The BEC power should go directly to the servo. Use a RX bypass to take care of the signal wire from the RX to the servo.

Only the ESC power lead should be going to the RX
Nah, you can power the rx from a bec. Originally I think they were used to power recievers in planes who's esc's did not have built in becs.

Using the bec on the esc actually makes it run hotter, and there may be a motor performance hit, but I don't think it's very big.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:54 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Problem solved!!

Turns out it was a combination of things. First off, the JX servo wasn't bad but it DID NOT like something in my truck. What that is, I have no idea. That servo is installed in my TRX-4 now and has zero issues. I did install a Reef's 422HD and it works as it should.

The BEC... I reached out to Castle customer support and they got back to me yesterday. The three wire lead from the BEC was plugged into the bind/ VCC port of the RX. Some Rx's have an issue with this for whatever reason. Their recommendation was to move it to any other port on the RX. My solution was to pull the signal wire from that lead then plug it back in to the bind VCC port. After this, the LED stays on solid red and my system works like a champ now.

There are as many ways to wire your electronics as there are drivers. As I've been told in the Army for the last 22yrs, "This is not THE way, its just A way." All Rx's are effectively a power buss with individual signal leads.

End take away is this...

If you have a CC BEC 2.0 and the LED is blinking, something is wrong somewhere...

Lou
Lou
Old 05-12-2020, 04:58 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
Problem solved!!

Turns out it was a combination of things. First off, the JX servo wasn't bad but it DID NOT like something in my truck. What that is, I have no idea. That servo is installed in my TRX-4 now and has zero issues. I did install a Reef's 422HD and it works as it should.

The BEC... I reached out to Castle customer support and they got back to me yesterday. The three wire lead from the BEC was plugged into the bind/ VCC port of the RX. Some Rx's have an issue with this for whatever reason. Their recommendation was to move it to any other port on the RX. My solution was to pull the signal wire from that lead then plug it back in to the bind VCC port. After this, the LED stays on solid red and my system works like a champ now.

There are as many ways to wire your electronics as there are drivers. As I've been told in the Army for the last 22yrs, "This is not THE way, its just A way." All Rx's are effectively a power buss with individual signal leads.

End take away is this...

If you have a CC BEC 2.0 and the LED is blinking, something is wrong somewhere...

Lou
Lou

The signal wire on the Bind port is probably connected to ground. That is what our Castle Links do do initiate Castle Link communication. It's likely the BEC 2.0 wasn't getting out of boot-up mode because it thought it was linking to a computer and was delivering less voltage than you were expecting it to output.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Bob,

Thank you for that info! I doubt you remember, but we’ve actually met a few times at IRCHA. I still have my Castle Heli shirts from 2010 and 2011.

Lou

Cc bec 2.0... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
With the mamba having 8amp bec is a separate bec still needed drkuhar Electronics 5 08-18-2017 10:16 PM
BEC | Castle Creations CC Bec 10A 6S Switching Regulator le varan Axial Yeti 8 06-02-2015 12:08 PM
Built in bec vs. Rooster Crawler bec for glitching mudking82 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 12-07-2010 08:57 AM
using external BEC & esc's internal BEC.... slowlearner Newbie General 2 02-14-2010 01:35 AM