Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lightweight brushless decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
ECT

Default Lightweight brushless decision

Hey all, building a light crawler and am stuck between a mamba x micro + Holmes PP V2 stubby vs sidewinder micro 2 + revolver v2 snubnose.

Rig will be element based CF g speed v3 chassis and minimal brass. I’ll be running a direct power servo so internal BEC strength is no issue.

What’re your thoughts? Thanks!
ECT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lightweight brushless decision

I don't remember hearing anything about how well the Revolver does or doesn't work with an SW2 micro, as far as I know the only non-sensored esc that can a run a Revolver really well is an SW4. I know they don't perform well on an SW3 but I'm not sure how that might relate SW2m.

Based on that, I'd go Mamba X Micro as the esc for either motor, the Revolver would probably lighter weight. The PP would be easier to setup and program but adding the sensor cable creates additional wiring and potential failure points..

If it was me, I'd go Mamba X micro with the revolver.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
I don't remember hearing anything about how well the Revolver does or doesn't work with an SW2 micro, as far as I know the only non-sensored esc that can a run a Revolver really well is an SW4. I know they don't perform well on an SW3 but I'm not sure how that might relate SW2m.

Based on that, I'd go Mamba X Micro as the esc for either motor, the Revolver would probably lighter weight. The PP would be easier to setup and program but adding the sensor cable creates additional wiring and potential failure points..

If it was me, I'd go Mamba X micro with the revolver.
That's good insight, I'd be able to run both motors with the micro X.

I agree, my SW4 ran the regular sized revolvers really well but I don't really need an ESC this large in this rig.

Appreciate it!
Old 08-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #4

A month late, so the ship might have already sailed.

If you are open to taking chances, the HobbyWing Fusion might be worth a shot. I am on the same path as you with a lightweight Element based low cg, low weight crawler and i just ordered the Fusion. Lots of negatives with this (no firmware upgrade options, 540 motor in a 550 can, and if one breaks you lose both ESC and motor, and no reviews so far)

But oh so tempting for what you are trying to build. You could move the RX next to the servo and completely get rid of the floor boards.
lost_gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #5
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_gollum View Post
A month late, so the ship might have already sailed.

If you are open to taking chances, the HobbyWing Fusion might be worth a shot. I am on the same path as you with a lightweight Element based low cg, low weight crawler and i just ordered the Fusion. Lots of negatives with this (no firmware upgrade options, 540 motor in a 550 can, and if one breaks you lose both ESC and motor, and no reviews so far)

But oh so tempting for what you are trying to build. You could move the RX next to the servo and completely get rid of the floor boards.
Hey thanks for your input! That’s a cool option and have contemplated moving a br mini esc and the rx next to the servo but ultimately.. I got a 2low trans and to mount it as low as possible I had to run a snubnose revolver. No regrets though, everything is as low as physically possible!

Lightweight brushless decision - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission decision Awesome Kong84 Mega/Monster Trucks 5 12-21-2015 10:20 AM
Help with decision sled Axial SCX-10 14 05-01-2015 03:05 PM
Help with new Chassis decision? cagedcbr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 01-26-2011 08:54 PM
Need help with a decision. fasttimes!! General Scale Talk 1 07-28-2007 12:40 AM
Help with a decision. payableondeath6 Newbie General 9 01-12-2007 11:52 AM