Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HH Crawlmaster Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HH Crawlmaster Series

I have been tuning my Capra that is using a HW1080 esc, Crawlmaster Sport 16t and 10t pinion. I finally got the esc set up for better slow speed start up and set up the throttle curve on my RC4gs however, it is still not as smooth as i would like. My TRX4 with castle slate and 9t pinion is significantly smoother at start up and can really creep along. i think the 10t in the capra gives me the wheelspeed i like, but i am wondering if upgrading to a Crawlmaster Expert or Pro would give me smoother slow speed start up.

ive seen comparisons between Torquemaster series showing torque and power output, but what about the slow speed "smoothness" of the Crawlmaster series? would an upgrade be noticeable?
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HH Crawlmaster Series

I think much of your observed difference in creepability has to do with the difference in total gear reduction. Your Trx4 is something like 70:1, which is very low and good for crawling. Your Capra is more like 40:1.

You've already geared down as much as the Capra platform will allow, and your using a motor known for good low speed control, so I'm not sure how to improve on your situation other than swapping to a Holmes Revolver motor with an SV4 esc. Certainly not a cheap fix.

I think others have managed to fit a 9 tooth pinion with a little dremel work. That would offer a slight improvement for little money invested.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thank you for your input. that is one possibility i thought of (total gearing) but was still curious if a "better" brushed motor would help.
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The crawlmaster sport is one of the smoothest starting motors, turn off freeweeling and you will get slightly better better startup, but you lose drag brake. A holmes hobby brxl that has modulating(?) pwm frequency or a castle might have smoother startup. But by far gear ratio will make the biggest difference.

I am not aware of aftermarket capra parts but the stock trans is crap for crawling IMO. Just not enough reduction.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

HH Crawlmaster Series - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
13t crawlmaster + 5s ? brianw Axial SCX-10 5 07-06-2012 09:02 PM
CC with crawlmaster ckmehl Electronics 6 04-07-2008 07:35 PM
Crawlmaster ?'s TK421 Electronics 9 03-30-2008 10:48 PM
Crawlmaster Mr.Mud Electronics 28 10-22-2007 10:48 AM
Anyone using the Crawlmaster Azcats1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 09-10-2007 06:41 PM