Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Any modded/custom radios out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Any modded/custom radios out there?

I couldnt find a radio that did exactly as i wanted so i found one that could be modified for my needs.
I wanted to be able to control my rear steer proportional and with it self centering when hands off.
So i mounted a thumb joystick on the fourth channel where the potentiometer used
to sit on the circuit board. It means i cant controll the gyro funktion when turned on but i never plan on doing that.

I also got a D.I.G unit for my wraith/bomber build and a new Capra and the free channel buttons placement sucks so i have started to mount a micro switch near the thumb for it.
I will also on the same wireleads mount a two pos flipswitch so i can choose how to engage the D.I.G.
Either press the thumbswitch and hold it down or just flip the other switch.

Any one else who made anything similar?
LCW89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2021, 05:21 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Any modded/custom radios out there?

Realized i never added a video of the transmitter working. So here it comes.

https://youtu.be/DItFtvWlMOg
Old 01-01-2021, 05:30 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

And here it is with my Capra.

https://youtu.be/LlvQcWJ61Pg
Old 01-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

That's a brilliant set up. I have rear steer on one of my Capras but I was not really happy with the way it worked. Yours looks like a perfect solution although it's probably beyond my electronics expertise.
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:21 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Mrjensen if you have basic soldering skills you should be fine. The absolut hardest to do was to remove/unsolder the potentiometer from the electronic board and soldere in a new servo wire lead instead. Other than that dissasembling the radio is just a question of either a good memory or to be done in one sitting with the internal work.
Next part is to make the brackets for angling the steering knob uppwards so your thumb wont interfear with it. Next is a holder for the 10k Ohm potentiometer joystick. i just used some bits from an action kamera mount and a 3d printer jar for the joystick.
It is possible too push the joystick down as a button wich could have been used for the D.I.G but it is kind of a hard press so i would have been forced to fix the arm for a good feel when pressing it and in doing so loose the adjustability.
But as i said the first electronic job on the board was the hardest but not impossible and the rest more or less basic model crafting skills.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

This is what I’ve been looking for for my rear steer set up. What all radios do you think this could be set up on ? I need a at least 7 channel but 8 would work better.
big specht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I made this pony radio for my DX5C, which is a complete DX5C by itself. So far, I have only used it for my King Hauler trailer, for the lights and gear.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

But, I designed it to control this guy:

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Cool to see some other innovative radios!

When i started searching for a radio to mod i searched for radios with a physical ”potentiometer” that could controll or be assaigned to a free channel.
Because then it was just a question of move or replace that potentiometer to another with the same Ohm rating more or less. Before i found the thumb joystick with the right Ohm value i looked at mounting a chopped up stick radio joystick in a 3d printed box and just mount the right potentiometer.

But lucky enough i found the radiolink.
I have the v1 rc4gs. It is also available as 6 channel named rc6gs.

As radiolink now released a v2 of these radios i cant say a 100% that this will still work but pretty sure it would.
So atleast 6ch is possible.

I would like both a 4ws smt10 and if possible in the future to build a new Ryft with 4ws.
I think this radio would work awesome with a little faster vehicles.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:11 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Do you have any pics or part numbers of the parts you used ? I have a trx4 with locking diffs and two speed that I’ve been wanting to put rear steer on and still be able to use the options the truck came with.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by big specht View Post
Do you have any pics or part numbers of the parts you used ? I have a trx4 with locking diffs and two speed that I’ve been wanting to put rear steer on and still be able to use the options the truck came with.
This is only a suggestion...
This might be an alternative way to get the results you are after.
Using this will let you keep the function of your diff lockers (and let you run a winch):
Wireless Winch and Diff Locker Controller

Then for your rear steering:
4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel
If it turns out that you have a free three-position channel, you can use this one instead:
4 Wheel Steering Controller
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I’m not knocking your stuff but. It didn’t work the way I was wanting. I’m wanting to do something like what he did on the radio he modded. Rear steer that is completely independent of the frt and completely variable in it operation not a off on switch like some of the other ones I’ve seen.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Fair enough!
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default Any modded/custom radios out there?

Radiolink r4gs is the brand and model of radio i used. Can be purchased from many different sites like bangood. But if you want six channels total you need to take the rc6gs. I havens Done it yet myself but the soldering connections for the 3pos switches that the rc4gs is missing compared to the rc6gs is physically there on the electronics board it is possible to solder on some switches and reflash an rc4gs to an rc6gs.

But as i said earlier i cant promise radiolink hasnt changed something crucial on the v2 version wich is sold now vs the v1 i used.
And bear in mind you dissable the gyro function by doing this.

The thumb joystick i baught from a swedish company but you should be able to buy it anywhere i think or sirap an old playstation controller id you have one laying around. Just measure its Ohm value to 10k ohm.

Here is a Link to where i baught it.

https://www.electrokit.com/en/product/joystick-10k/

Last edited by LCW89; 01-22-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

The gyro function? Is that just for air plain use ?
Old 01-23-2021, 01:37 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Its something lika Traxxas tsm i believe but ive never used it as i only do crawlers.
The potentiometer i removed controlled how much the function would interfere but as i mounted a return to center joystick the function will always be half i believe. I havens tested it as i dont have a need for it.
Old 01-29-2021, 06:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Code:
PHP Code:
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT
Hi from Mashpee, Massachusetts. I built my own controller from several radios. I wanted a pistol grip radio with lots of flexibility. This was my old spectrum dx6i. If you have any questions or comments, send them here. I joined this site almost ten years ago because it had sooo much information I’m like a sponge. I’ve read ALOT of this site and I think this my first post. Lol your post about custom controllers really Got me wanting to post something. I have photos and can take more but I cannot figure out how to post them with this text.
CKatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Any modded/custom radios out there? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helicopter Radios vs Surface Radios orianthi Newbie General 6 12-19-2010 08:22 PM