Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Vendors Market > Vendors Electronics

Notices

Thread: 4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel

4 Wheel Steering Controller

A few guys were asking if I could make the four wheel steering controller work from a two position third channel, so I got it working the other day!

At start up, the rear servo is locked.
Push and release CH3 and the rear servo follows the front servo.
Push and release CH3 and the rear servo turns opposite the front servo.
Push and release CH3 and the rear servo is locked again... etc.

When the non locked positions are selected, the rear servo moves the same amount that the front servo does... well, to a point...
To protect your rear servo, there are end point adjustments on the controller so that you can set how far to the left and right that the rear servo can travel, this way, you won't risk straining your servo or linkage when turning sharp. There is also a trim control to make sure that you go straight when you let go of the wheel.

But is it waterproof?
Well, no. But, it is mostly waterproof, and you can make it waterproof if you like. The water can get in where you adjust the EPA and Trim controls. Once you have them adjusted, cover the openings with silicone or plastidip and you will be good!

I recommend running a BEC when you are using the 4WS controller as you need a lot more power to start throwing around another pair of wheels!

The price is $50

Last edited by heyok; 08-12-2017 at 10:21 AM. Reason: updated picture of the part.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel

I like this a lot!!!!!!!!!!1 Problem for me is, I have your winch controller on my 3rd channel.. How can I run both?
My steering now is hooked thru a Y to the rear so Its always wheels turn together.
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanthony View Post
I like this a lot!!!!!!!!!!1 Problem for me is, I have your winch controller on my 3rd channel.. How can I run both?
My steering now is hooked thru a Y to the rear so Its always wheels turn together.
I can include a toggle switch with your order (for a small fee ). CH3 will feed either the rear steer or the winch controller.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Could it be set up to have rear steer only instead of the crab walk option? I find myself rarely needing crab walk the truck.
ah_5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yes, I could do some custom firmware to take care of that for you. There would be a small extra charge though. Still interested?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #6

I'm interested as I'm using hpi's Tf-40 tx. It has a 3rd channel but its on-off... I'm not sure how that'll work with your controller?
Sna08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sna08 View Post
I'm interested as I'm using hpi's Tf-40 tx. It has a 3rd channel but its on-off... I'm not sure how that'll work with your controller?
Right, a system like your is what I built it for. I'll just repeat this from the first post:

This is working similar to the winch controller that I made for guys with a two position channel:
Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel

Hope that makes sense. It is that each time you flip your two position channel, the controller cycles to the next function.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Right, a system like your is what I built it for. I'll just repeat this from the first post:

This is working similar to the winch controller that I made for guys with a two position channel:
Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel

Hope that makes sense. It is that each time you flip your two position channel, the controller cycles to the next function.
Sorry for my noobness, but my third button that I want to use push in then push again to come out... So my question is, one push will cycle it to oppose, another push (which will make it come back out) will make it crab walk?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sorry for my noobness, but my third button that I want to use push in then push again to come out... So my question is, one push will cycle it to oppose, another push (which will make it come back out) will make it crab walk?
That's a good question!

The controller is looking to see one complete cycle on the controlling channel, so you would have to push it twice for that to happen. Watch the video in the winch controller for a 2 position channel in the link I gave you. It works the same way.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #10

I'm wondering if I can modify the Tf-40 to release and not hold? I didn't think I could have crab walk as well... That'll be awesome...
Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm wondering if I can modify the Tf-40 to release and not hold? I didn't think I could have crab walk as well... That'll be awesome...
By that, do you mean turn the switch into a momentary switch?

Maybe.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I just hooked mine up and it works very nicely. Should have the build fully done soon. Be careful turning the pots. They are plastic and strip easy. Out side of that this thing is very well built and is a sweet and cheaper way to have 4ws. I also have one of your servo winches and it is a beast! Keep up the good work sir!

James
MacJamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #13

Yes that's the word I was trying to think of lol. Momentary switch. I have no doubt as to the build quality as I've read only good reviews with heyok's products.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I'm thinking of ways I could put this to use with a Spektrum dx3s. CH3 can be bound to work in conjunction with steering, or be a two position on/off type setup.
Basically I just want to run 4WS and a winch simultaneously. I've seen the rc4wd wireless winch controller gutted, shrink wrapped and stuffed in a 4PK with micro switches remote mounted into the back of the steering knob mount. Basically gave it a wireless 5th channel.

I'm thinking this might be able to help negate that idea?

Last edited by gbean; 11-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #15

You got pm'd.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Thanks. I'll get back to you a bit later. The gf has me out shopping
Old 11-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
I'm thinking of ways I could put this to use with a Spektrum dx3s. CH3 can be bound to work in conjunction with steering, or be a two position on/off type setup.
Basically I just want to run 4WS and a winch simultaneously. I've seen the rc4wd wireless winch controller gutted, shrink wrapped and stuffed in a 4PK with micro switches remote mounted into the back of the steering knob mount. Basically gave it a wireless 5th channel.

I'm thinking this might be able to help negate that idea?
Maybe this would work for you.
The 4WS for 2 pos channel and winch controller for 2 pos channel could be installed on your rig. Also a small toggle switch on your rig that would connect from CH3 of the receiver and feed either the 4WS or the winch controller. Normally the switch would be set to work the steering, but when you need to use the winch, you have to touch your rig anyway. Just flip the toggle and you can control the winch. The 4WS stays in the last mode it was set to when it isn't selected.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Maybe I'm not following clearly, but then while winching am I not throwing the front steering back and forth as I let the line in and out? Since steering and ch3 are bound? The switch you speak of would be switching between the winch and rear steer servo, not between servo controllers right?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
Maybe I'm not following clearly, but then while winching am I not throwing the front steering back and forth as I let the line in and out? Since steering and ch3 are bound? The switch you speak of would be switching between the winch and rear steer servo, not between servo controllers right?
In the case with my controller, the steering channel (CH1) and the 4WS mode/Winch mode (CH3) can do their own thing.

When we talk about steering, CH1 is only controlling steering. CH3 is used to select how the rear steering servo reacts to the signal from CH1. Once the controller is told how to send the signal to the rear servo, it just keeps doing that. It tells the rear servo to do what the front servo does or to do the opposite or to stay still.

Does that make it a little clearer?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Yes I think so. So with that setup on a 3ch system, I still get no simultaneous steering/winching.
And I'm not completely clear even what the 3rd channel does on the dx3s when not bound to ch1... I think it is just for two position servo control, just like on the traxxas tqi 3ch radios. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Tags
4ws, controler, electronic, four wheel steering

4 Wheel Steering Controller - controlled by a two position third channel - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch Controller for Radio with 2 Position Third Channel heyok Vendors Electronics 121 05-19-2020 03:08 PM
No Drift Winch Controller! (using 3 position transmitter channel) heyok Vendors Electronics 239 12-12-2017 06:04 AM
4 Wheel Steering Controller heyok Vendors Electronics 28 08-02-2014 05:27 PM
MOA Dig Controller for Two Position Channel heyok Vendors Electronics 26 03-24-2014 12:38 PM
Should I build a 4 Wheel Steering Controller? heyok Electronics 34 09-24-2012 03:49 PM