Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin Troubles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2023, 08:33 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Tekin Troubles

I have the RX4 Roc412 3100kv combo. Can not get the truck (VS4-10) to go slow. It will jump around a bit then take off. I have the sensor wire attached and good connections on A B C posts. Tried messing around in the hotwire 3.0 app but still can not get it figured out. Is there a way to test if the sensor wire is working? I tried the method online where you turn the motor and the red leds should flash on the RX4 but that does not work. Any ideas?
Joshwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2023, 09:18 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tekin Troubles

have you tried disconnecting the sensor wire to see if it's acting the same way with out it

from what I've read on here I don't think the rx4 has all that good low speed control the castle escs were better and by today's standards that's still not that great

it could be a few things a bad sensor wire combined with poor start up compared to today's rigs and or over gearing

Last edited by ferp420; 10-24-2023 at 09:23 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 09:37 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

When I disconnect it I can not tell the difference. I have the Hotwire 3.0 but it does not tell me if it is working or not.
Old 10-24-2023, 12:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If it acts the same with the sensor wire disconnected thats a good indication the wire could be bad. If you have another known good sensor wire I'd try swapping them.

I found the RX4 peformed pretty poor for a crawler ESC, very poor start up/smoothness. I couldnt find much in the settings to fix it. I ended up putting it in a basher instead.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 02:35 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
If it acts the same with the sensor wire disconnected thats a good indication the wire could be bad. If you have another known good sensor wire I'd try swapping them.

I found the RX4 peformed pretty poor for a crawler ESC, very poor start up/smoothness. I couldnt find much in the settings to fix it. I ended up putting it in a basher instead.
I tested the sensor wire and it is good. Just not sure why it makes no difference if it is plugged in or not.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

You should be able to spin the motor by hand and faintly see the lights on the esc light up sequentially. Do it in the dark. And no battery connected. That'll show proper sensor communication between motor and esc.
I also never got mine to work great at low speed unless the drag brake ramp, or whatever it was called, was off. So I too gave up on it as a crawler esc and got another castle.
If castle could just make thier damn escs as quite as every other single esc ever made, they'd be perfect. Guess it's too much to ask.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 04:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I never noticed there was a sensor checker feature

From the manual:
Old 10-25-2023, 09:36 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I never noticed there was a sensor checker feature
In the OP, I tried that first off. Tried with battery connected and without.

I have 5 castle and 3 holmes esc's and they are great. Not sure why I thought I would try Tekin.

Why do they advertise being a crawler esc?
Old 10-25-2023, 10:48 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ah, sorry I missed that.

I will say Tekin customer service was good to me when I had issues with a servo. They helped me troubleshoot, then I sent it in and they replaced it. If you havent already contacted them you should probably reach out.
Old 10-25-2023, 11:49 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The problem is the ESC...and, at the same time, there is (probably) NOTHING won't work the ESC. The, RX4 is NOT a crawler ESC. Truthfully, none of the Tekin ESCs are designed/great for crawling. Tekin ESCs are great for racing & bashing...but, you'd do best to avoid them for crawling. For that, best to stick with the Castle Mamba X, or any of the Hobbywing/Spektrum 2-in-1 ESC/motor combos, as these are all not only designed for crawling, but the ESC programming is set for crawling (ie. the Tekin programming is set for racing/bashing).

Alternately, you can stick with the RX4, and "just deal with it". Not trying to be harsh...but, at others have already pointed out, the RX4 (and, again, all Tekin ESCs) is not a "crawler" ESC. Best of luck with whatever route you choose to go with.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:46 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I ordered another Mamba X from Holmes Hobbies. I will reach out to Tekin and see if there is anything they will do. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:25 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwaa View Post
I ordered another Mamba X from Holmes Hobbies. I will reach out to Tekin and see if there is anything they will do. Thanks for the help.
Not sure what you think Tekin can "do about it", has there doesn't seem to be absolutely anything wrong with the ESC or motor. You chose a motor that is not designed for crawling...it has no super low speed control. I have that same motor in my Axial Ryft, and it's outstanding. But, in a crawler, it would be downright horrible. Honestly, my suggestion would be to use that motor...better yet, the entire combo...in a different vehicle which is designed to go faster. Whatever you decide to do, best of luck.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 11-13-2023, 09:31 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
You chose a motor that is not designed for crawling…
That may be true, but it certainly was advertised as a crawler motor…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 09:39 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
That may be true, but it certainly was advertised as a crawler motor…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That might also be true...but, we all know about the not-always-true "truth in advertising". The truth is, companies will do anything to sell their products. A perfect example would be the lies that we all know, such as advertised LiPo discharge rates. Let's not forget about Apple lying about the so-called Sapphire glass used in their phones, which was supposedly 'unbreakable'. Personally, I've had my own problems with Tekin, and now I don't buy anything from them, except for the occasional motor.

Old 11-14-2023, 10:55 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I've ran a few Roc 412 and 412 HDs over the years. While I wouldn't use one for a comp rig, they worked fine for general crawling and trailing. I did usually pair them with a Castle esc with a throttle curve set up on the Castle software. I briefly used an RX4 but it was huge and bulky so when I sold that TRX4, I sold the ESC too.

The RX4 ESCs and the Roc 412 motors are pretty old...too bad Tekin hasn't brought out anything that was actually lighter and smaller like their motto for the crawler market.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tekin Troubles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Br-xl troubles. Need help!! common rock crawler Electronics 3 07-21-2016 05:43 AM
Tekin B1-R troubles JSN Electronics 17 05-14-2013 07:28 AM
Rs 10 XT troubles.. help! jbelding Electronics 26 12-29-2012 07:07 AM
question about an rc i bought with a tekin esc. having troubles mudd_slinger Electronics 2 04-07-2012 03:42 PM
troubles stanbro Electronics 3 09-01-2007 05:12 PM