Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo Shopping.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2024, 04:38 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Servo Shopping.

Hi guys.

I’m looking to replace a few servos I think they are hitch 7580s…I think. I’ve had them so long that the stickers have fallen off, and I haven’t bought a servo, or kept up with the hobby for at least 4-5 years although I managed to not get rid of any of my 1/10 crawlers the last crawler I bought was the SCX10.2 jeep rtr. Currently I’m working on a vaterra K5 ascender, which just got a set of beef tubes XR mod axles. Anyway I started looking for servos thinking I’d just type in hitec 7580 into my search bar and see what popped up, but 7580s didn’t show up, now they (hitec) seems to have a multitude of different options none of them being a 7580.

The last ones I wanted about 2-3 years ago were the Tekin T-440s, but I never got around to working on any of my old rigs. I was content with my axial bomber, and wraith to be bothered with any of my 1.9 rigs, but now I’ve become interested again and seem to need/want a few things before I order something new possibly a VS-410…, or a TRX-4 even though I was never the biggest fan of Traxxas.

I almost considered buying a Reefs RC Raw800LP from a friend, but I wasn’t too sure about it. I’ve never heard of Reefs before, and from what my friend told me it sound ridiculously heavy. A lot heavier than I think I need, or want.

So let me know what the latest and greatest is, since I’ve been out of the hobby for a while now.
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2024, 05:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Servo Shopping.

Amazon servos are pretty good for a budget servo, cant remember which ones they are though. Reefs are pretty popular. I like the holmes hobbies shv500, but theyre gettin hard to find. Protec tbl servos arent bad either

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Reefs are quality servos. Worth the cost impo.
I got out of RC in 2012ish, and back in when the Rona was released and I was not able to work due to job site (Assisted Living Homes) being shut down. I was remodeling. Like you I was a Hitec guy, and with electronics I'm a firm believer you get what you pay for.

When I started checking out the latest and greatest servos, the Hitecs were 225 and up. DOH. That was a bit more than I wanted to spend when I started replacing stuff. Found a number of decent servo brands but for the most part landed on Reefs as my new go to. Got two handfuls of Reefs servos and they've been pretty solid. Shifts RC also has decent servos and they are a bit less expensive than Reefs.

Some Amazon servos are ok, some may as well be rtr servos so they are meh. The Amazon servos are a large range of 'brands' that are essentially bought from the same manufacturer and rebranded with a multitude of names.
AFgRC makes the Reefs and likely the Shifts and other higher end servos, but suspect they also make many of the multinames.

One of the reasons I choose Reefs over the others is while AFgRC makes their servos, they are made to Reefs Specifications and they do all their own programming for them, which is here in the uS.

Plenty of ok servos that can be had for 15-50 bux that will be ok. but decent servos today are nearer the 100-200 range.
As much as I'm a Buy Once Cry Once electronics guys, I can't see spending 260.00 for a servo I can get from Reefs for 1/2 the cost, and still support a company that is uS located and supports a lot of events around the country.
JM2C
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 06:04 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

The ones Indy mentioned are all good. The Amazon one I'm thinking of is the Zoskay 35kg (blue housing/has over 2k reviews).

Here are others that I am also a fan of (source at online hobby stores or site:
- NSDRC
- 3Brothers
- Shift RC
- 1Tenth
- HK Hobbies
- Speedtek

These ones I am familiar with on Amazon:
- AGFRC
- JX
- Powerhobby
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:19 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Ive got some of the hk hobbies 35kg, theyve got the power but theyre super slow. But the jx seems to be a good one. I had one in a rig i sold a buddy. Plenty of power n speed wasnt awful. Butbif it wasnt powered up, it wont turn but hand

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:07 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Reefs are rebranded china servos with a huuuge mark up I would look into Holmes or AGFrc servos.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 06:29 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Reefs are rebranded china servos with a huuuge mark up I would look into Holmes or AGFrc servos.
Most servos are. NSDRC, SHIFTS, Injora, JK, Hitec, Futaba. Pic a servo and the chance someone else manufactures them are 98+%>

And they are NOT marked up by HUGE Margins. The Reefs Version of the AGfRC sevos are maybe 20.00 more, and as I mentioned above, they do their own software, and the servos are not just off the shelf, they are made to Spec which means AFgRC makes the servos how Reefs want them. That is not the same with the others, which are just lasered with different names and marked up.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 01:05 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
Most servos are. NSDRC, SHIFTS, Injora, JK, Hitec, Futaba. Pic a servo and the chance someone else manufactures them are 98+%>

And they are NOT marked up by HUGE Margins. The Reefs Version of the AGfRC sevos are maybe 20.00 more, and as I mentioned above, they do their own software, and the servos are not just off the shelf, they are made to Spec which means AFgRC makes the servos how Reefs want them. That is not the same with the others, which are just lasered with different names and marked up.
Yeah...what ever you like to believe
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:34 AM   #9

What's the hot Chinese brand servos these days if so many are just rebranded Chinese?

Also, what are the go-to direct power servos these days? Ideally, I would like a direct power and low-profile high-torque servo for my VRD Carbon build.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 07:57 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I bought my first agfrc servo and installed it worked great loaded it in to the car drove the 30 seconds to my crawl spot put it on the ground and pop about 3 seconds it stoped working
I'm gonna send it back and see what happens but so far I don't have anything good to say about it but I didn't get a chance to run it ether
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 08:10 AM   #11
RCC Addict

My two cents…

For cheapies I’ve been buying blue case DS3235 servos off eBay for around $25-$30 for a couple years, so far I haven’t had any issues with them. They are reasonably powerful, fast and very quiet.

For more expensive servos, I’ve typically used Holmes hobbies, but they don’t currently have any available. I also have had a couple protek 370tbls and those I really like.

From what I’ve seen Reefs seems to be one of the most popular options. I do have a 422HDv2 which I like, but isn’t exactly a power monster.

If I were to buy a new servo today, I’d probably be looking at reefs offerings, or just getting another protek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 08:22 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I've had good luck with the offerings from NSDRC and Holmes, Savox have been good too but they are noisy AF. Also have used the amazon ones that Twade mentioned for builds that don't need the power. Reason I have stick to these brands was the costumer service... I have never had issues with the holmes products but I've had issues in 2 instances with Savox and NSDRC and both have warrantied their products and taken care of me so I would gladly purchase from them.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I'm looking for one too, probably going to go with a AGFRC A75BUMW.
Especially after finding out they are an OEM.
$89 on Amazon

Although, I did find a NSD RS500B for about $70 shipped.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:18 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I got curious about direct power servos, so I typed this into amain hobbies and this popped up.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/shift-r...r-met/p1353218

Does anyone one know where I might find the spline count of this servo, or have I gone blind and missed it while reading the specs.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post
I got curious about direct power servos, so I typed this into amain hobbies and this popped up.

Does anyone one know where I might find the spline count of this servo, or have I gone blind and missed it while reading the specs.

Went to their website and saw this: "25 tooth horn is required"

However, my favorite thing from that listing is this right here: "Gear: Steal"

It says that both on their site AND at the AMain site!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 04:20 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Went to their website and saw this: "25 tooth horn is required"

However, my favorite thing from that listing is this right here: "Gear: Steal"

It says that both on their site AND at the AMain site!

Fawkers, wish they would just say gears not included, must steal them.

I ended up trying a NSD RS500B from Dlux
https://dluxfab.com/NSDRC-RS500B-Hig...rvo-p435969270
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 07:12 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Steal…strategically transfer equipment to alternate locations.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander_0_1 View Post

That servo was in my cart at AMain until I saw the preorder for a black and orange NSDRC RS700 V2 as seen below. Seems like a lot more servo than the Shifts RC for the money.

https://nsdrcscaleparts.com/collecti...nge-servo-horn
Old 02-05-2024, 09:01 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsteenster View Post
Fawkers, wish they would just say gears not included, must steal them.

I ended up trying a NSD RS500B from Dlux
https://dluxfab.com/NSDRC-RS500B-Hig...rvo-p435969270
for the money you wont be disappointed with the RS500B ... I got a couple of them and very happy with the power and the fact that they are DP
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
for the money you wont be disappointed with the RS500B ... I got a couple of them and very happy with the power and the fact that they are DP
I'd definitely give them a shot for that price. Seems like a great deal. If only it was black and orange I could have saved $70!

Servo Shopping. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
servo shopping boogz Electronics 11 06-03-2014 09:40 PM
Servo shopping for my 2.2 comp rig jeremyfowler33 Electronics 11 02-21-2012 07:53 PM
shopping jokers_toys Chit Chat 8 11-23-2011 08:18 AM
servo shopping rybredd Newbie General 4 03-19-2011 05:23 PM
Shopping in CT Ralf Connecticut 2 05-25-2010 06:33 PM