Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo voltage issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2024, 05:16 PM   #1

Default Servo voltage issue

Ok so I removed an old Savox 1230 from a previous build that seemed to be working perfectly to a new build I'm doing. When I powered it on the first time the servo was stuttering when turning slowly. I decided to check the voltage from the receiver and was getting 4.01V on the servo port. I checked with a servo extension wire that I cut up to easily use a multimeter on wires, not sure if this method is flawed... I am also using an old 10A Castle BEC (the one with blue shrink wrap over it).

Anyways after discovering the voltage issue, I then purchased a Castle link.
The voltage was set to 5.1V (even though I was getting 4.01 from the Rx) but then I changed it to 6V (the max that the servo can accept) and after checking voltage again (from my maybe flawed way of checking) I am now getting 4.91V.

Should I adjust the BEC until I fully get 6V to the port or is there maybe an issue with my Rx? I am using a Radiolink R6FG...
v3dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2024, 05:38 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Servo voltage issue

I wouldn't suggest to keep upping the BEC voltage.

On my Futaba and Sanwa RX-482 (and the clone of the RX-482) that I have, all of the pins + and - are on the same PCB rail. Basically all the + are tied and all the - are tied together. With 6.45vdc into my receiver, I'm seeing 6.45vdc on all the pins + & - pins.

If you have confirmed the BEC is actually sending out 6.0vdc,
I'm thinking you either have:
  • Something else plugged in that is drawing an awful lot of power and sagging the voltage down.
  • A bad solder on the RX board that is causing resistance.
  • A bad RX unit that is drawing a lot of amperage.
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 05:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

is the gyro turned on that could be the source of the power draw
just a thought

Last edited by ferp420; 03-07-2024 at 06:13 PM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 04:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by diezel666 View Post
I wouldn't suggest to keep upping the BEC voltage.

On my Futaba and Sanwa RX-482 (and the clone of the RX-482) that I have, all of the pins + and - are on the same PCB rail. Basically all the + are tied and all the - are tied together. With 6.45vdc into my receiver, I'm seeing 6.45vdc on all the pins + & - pins.

If you have confirmed the BEC is actually sending out 6.0vdc,
I'm thinking you either have:
  • Something else plugged in that is drawing an awful lot of power and sagging the voltage down.
  • A bad solder on the RX board that is causing resistance.
  • A bad RX unit that is drawing a lot of amperage.
Thank you very much for the help. For some reason I was only checking from the servo port and not the BEC itself to eliminate possible problems. I tested the voltage from the BEC and I was getting 5.1v and then thought the changes from the Castle link didn't stick but then realized the voltage kept going up very slowly. Like about 0.01 every 4 seconds. I waited about 7 minutes for it to go up and finally settled on 6.02v. I then disconnected the battery and reconnected multiple times and I seem to always get that good voltage now which raises another question... Is this normal in any way? Do BEC's need this much time to adjust to a stable voltage and stay there? Anyways it's working now so I'm 75% satisfied, not sure if I should change it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
is the gyro turned on that could be the source of the power draw
just a thought
Thanks for the input. That would of been a good idea to check but it was off. Problem solved by itself apparently...?
v3dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3dg View Post
I waited about 7 minutes for it to go up and finally settled on 6.02v. I then disconnected the battery and reconnected multiple times and I seem to always get that good voltage now which raises another question... Is this normal in any way? Do BEC's need this much time to adjust to a stable voltage and stay there? Anyways it's working now so I'm 75% satisfied, not sure if I should change it now.

No, they should not have a "ramp up" time or soft start style feature at all, honestly rolling a lower voltage to a DC device to gradually bring it's voltage up would not be a good thing - unless large capacitors (far excessive to the use and size we would see in RC) are in use.

With Voltage there is a direct relationship to amperage (Ohm's law). Lower voltage = higher amperage needed to do work.

This to me sounds like something else is going on. I wonder if the capacitor on your BEC is faulty and is initially resistive and charges slowly. Sadly there is 3 ways to find out. And I don't recommend the them unless you're really comfortable with electronics.

One: Bypass the capacitor. Remove it, use a jumper wire around it.
Two: Remove it and test it, if you have a LCR meter.
Three: Replace it.
diezel666 is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo voltage issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brand new turnigy battery issue, low voltage! advice please! niro750 Electronics 13 10-05-2018 08:02 AM
Nomadio React voltage readout issue tcochuck Electronics 1 11-22-2009 08:04 PM
Bulk battery buy - voltage issue Nerve Electronics 3 05-24-2008 07:16 AM
RX and Servo voltage thorn4run Electronics 4 12-19-2006 11:10 AM
RAM 35 Voltage Issue Varv Electronics 9 04-30-2006 01:31 PM