Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Serious Electronic Issues...Need Help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
OK...I am going balls to the wall.

Hooking up a new 6 cell SC Pak of matched 4200's and adding a Hitec 5955TG to the front...333 oz Torque @ 6V.

This will either work or snap the axles...

Wish me luck...

That's the only servo I run these days, except in my supers....5995TG 417oz. @ 7.2 votls!!
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Well I think I did it...And SVEN it does bite. It jammed my finger between the links. I have never said so many bad words under my breath before in my life...kids were standing there watching.

"Daddy...that looks like it hurts"

Now back to the issue at hand...

Just what I needed. The combo is perfect. I am getting all the torque I need when I need it. Cost me $100 but it is fixed.

Thanks for everyone's input.

JRH,
I am posting a vid of the CM with the Mamba...What a combo for Drag Brake...Look for it on the Crawlmaster thread.

John
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I think I did it...And SVEN it does bite. It jammed my finger between the links. I have never said so many bad words under my breath before in my life...kids were standing there watching.

"Daddy...that looks like it hurts"

Now back to the issue at hand...

Just what I needed. The combo is perfect. I am getting all the torque I need when I need it. Cost me $100 but it is fixed.

Thanks for everyone's input.

JRH,
I am posting a vid of the CM with the Mamba...What a combo for Drag Brake...Look for it on the Crawlmaster thread.

John
lol, I couldn't count the number of times I've pinched my fingers with the links and the 5995. I need to put a caution sticker on my axles..."Caution, keep fingers away from moving parts" or something like that.

I'm glad you got it working for ya, that's definitely a nice setup.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:45 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

OK...I think I need to go back to Nitro, I cannot win on this one.

Everything was running great. Halfway through the course and the truck shuts down. Cannot get it to run. Mamba Max is cool, Crawlmaster is cool, Regulator is HOT!.

Could not get the system to work again.

JRH,
Do I need a bigger regulator now that I am running a Digital Servo in the front? Also, when I put a meter on the receiver end of the regulator when powered up and am getting a zero reading...did it fry? If so, that was only my second run on it. Do I need to go with the adjustable one?

I cannot believe that I am having this many issues with this set up.

Anyone...Please help!!!!!

Thanks,
John

Old 07-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #25
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

What main pack voltage were you running? This is why temp guns are good to have any time you have a new setup.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
What main pack voltage were you running? This is why temp guns are good to have any time you have a new setup.
Temp Gun...Oh I have one of those...never thought to take a temp.

I was running 8 SC Cells when this happened...
Old 07-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #27
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr

What is it doing? Let me tell ya...

If I am running straight...it runs great.
If I turn the front, for the first couple times it works...then I lose left...eventually losing it completely.
Rear steering is fine.

If I am in a tight area, say in a comp, and both front and rear are locked...I lose everything.

It will not kick in again until I lift the rig up and free the axles to go straight.

I have tried RX Packs, Regulators, took my wideners off...

I am lost on this one...and I have a comp on Sunday.

The only thing I have not replaces is the Spektrum Reciever...Going to do that now.

Any suggestions...Please.

This may or may not be it.....

Mine acts up VERY simular to that. At first I thought it was the servo,swapped that. Thought it was the rec. pack not being charged,nope,not that. Tried swapping to a few different radio's,nope,not that either. Tried installing a new pot in the radio,not it either. I've found my problem now......

It's the dang plug that my reciever pack plugs into. It'll make contact and seem fine,after you run for a bit,it'll loose contact and no steering,no power....nothing. Kick the truck,it starts working. SVEN's seen me do it at a few comps I guess kicking it is better that the time I litterally threw it through the woods after getting aggravated

I've got to zip tie it together and it'll work better. I guess all the plugs or some of them are starting to wear out and becoming loose.

I'd check all your plug ins and make sure. Couldn't hurt anything to try.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #28
MODERHATER™

Sounds to me your Spektrum is shutting down due to voltage drop. Make it so your servo power drain is not going through the receiver.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:14 PM   #29
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

A fresh charged 8 cell pack could have 12 volts easy. Assuming 12 watts dissipation for the reg gives 2 amps of power for the servo since you are dropping 6 volts. You stated that you were using 7 cells as a main pack at first which would give the regulator more room to breathe.

edit: Checked heat dissipation value for regulator

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 07-01-2007 at 04:19 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
This may or may not be it.....

I guess kicking it is better that the time I litterally threw it through the woods after getting aggravated

I've got to zip tie it together and it'll work better. I guess all the plugs or some of them are starting to wear out and becoming loose.

I'd check all your plug ins and make sure. Couldn't hurt anything to try.
Almost threw mine...bustedcrawler may have saved that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Sounds to me your Spektrum is shutting down due to voltage drop. Make it so your servo power drain is not going through the receiver.
I have it wired to bypass the receiver per Grizzly's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
A fresh charged 8 cell pack could have 12 volts easy. Assuming 12 watts dissipation for the reg gives 2 amps of power for the servo since you are dropping 6 volts. You stated that you were using 7 cells as a main pack at first which would give the regulator more room to breathe.

edit: Checked heat dissipation value for regulator
JRH,
I don't understand the Regulator thing. Exactly how does it decrease when you add more volts? Are you saying that I would be better off running the six cells than boosting to eight?

Now I just plugged 6 cells in and I am getting nothing on the output side of the regulator.

What to do next???

Thanks guys...
Old 07-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #31
RCC Addict

John,

Have you checked under the shrink wrap yet on your regulator? It might have over heated just enough to cause a non-fatal short.

Check your battery/knuckle clearance, and see if there is any sort of contact between the batteries or those AL knuckles. If they touch it could be causing a voltage issue that you haven't noticed yet.

I always look for the stupid simple things first, then go back to the hard stuff. You did follow all instructions for setting up that Mamba max in the super with a regulator? Double checked all wiring connections?

Just trying to help you get it figured out, so when my Crawlmaster gets here I wont need to reinvent the wheel.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
John,

Have you checked under the shrink wrap yet on your regulator? It might have over heated just enough to cause a non-fatal short.

Check your battery/knuckle clearance, and see if there is any sort of contact between the batteries or those AL knuckles. If they touch it could be causing a voltage issue that you haven't noticed yet.

I always look for the stupid simple things first, then go back to the hard stuff. You did follow all instructions for setting up that Mamba max in the super with a regulator? Double checked all wiring connections?

Just trying to help you get it figured out, so when my Crawlmaster gets here I wont need to reinvent the wheel.
I did do that as soon as I got home. That was my first thought due to the fact that it was the first time I did knuckle packs. I am getting 8 V before the regulator. I think it may be the reg that sheat itself.

JRH,
Why did you sell him a Crawlmaster? That was my upperhand. Busted actually tried to hold it back...I think it started pulling his arm out of it's socket...
Old 07-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #33
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Busted actually tried to hold it back...I think it started pulling his arm out of it's socket...

He's been trying to hold back for a while now. Seeing my rig run here in TN. with CRAZY power,it's been killing him ever since In all seriousness,you might still have an upper hand till he gets used to crawling brushless. It's a whole new feel to get used to. Having allot of power,it's less forgiving. Your either going some where,melting the tires or spur out of the thing or broke
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
He's been trying to hold back for a while now. Seeing my rig run here in TN. with CRAZY power,it's been killing him ever since In all seriousness,you might still have an upper hand till he gets used to crawling brushless. It's a whole new feel to get used to. Having allot of power,it's less forgiving. Your either going some where,melting the tires or spur out of the thing or broke
That is my thoughts...some of the stuff he gets away with would just snap something with the Crawlmaster.

He is beefing it up thou, to get ready.

It is going to be fun...Our next comp is July 15th...will he have the bugs worked out.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yep, your rig got the seed planted with going over to the dark side. The way I figure it is if I can get the axles and tranny strong enough to force a revo shaft to be the weak link I will be a very happy man.

Quote:
That is my thoughts...some of the stuff he gets away with would just snap something with the Crawlmaster.

He is beefing it up thou, to get ready.

It is going to be fun...Our next comp is July 15th...will he have the bugs worked out.
I will have to look out for the binding spots. I have a sneaking feeling that some of those things I have had to pull have been due to a lack of power and older batteries. Most times, I am fighting to push that body out of the way...others I have a feeling will start blowing things up.

Why do you think I got those SS shafts? I will have 2 pairs of stockers as back up if the SS ones fail. If needed...I can get the SS shafts cryo'ed, along with all of the metal gears. But we will see.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
Yep, your rig got the seed planted with going over to the dark side. The way I figure it is if I can get the axles and tranny strong enough to force a revo shaft to be the weak link I will be a very happy man.
lol, bustedcrawler's revo shaft:

Sorry to get off topic...maybe try plugging things up with a receiver pack to single the regulator out as the problem.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
lol, bustedcrawler's revo shaft:
Sorry to get off topic...maybe try plugging things up with a receiver pack to single the regulator out as the problem.
About the shaft...I have heard stories...so it is true. Wait and see what the Crawlmaster is going to leave as carnage.

RX Pack already on charge...
Old 07-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #38
MODERHATER™

By running a regulator you are not getting the power drain away from the receiver. You have all 3 wires from the servo plugged into the receiver right?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
By running a regulator you are not getting the power drain away from the receiver. You have all 3 wires from the servo plugged into the receiver right?
No, I did it like Grizzly did. Bypass the power.

That was JRH's suggestion too. What are you proposing?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #40
MODERHATER™

On my rig if I have any servo power drain going though the receiver, the Spektrum will shut down. I would crawl, turn both servos, or one in a bind and it would shut down.

I solved the problem by using a y-harness with 2 female ends and one male. Where it plugs into the receiver, pull out the red power wire, plug the servo into one end, plug the battery into the other.

It never shuts down now.

The way the BTA is designed on your TXT it puts alot of strain on the servo to get it to turn, I know this, I have the same setup.