Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Serious Electronic Issues...Need Help!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
On my rig if I have any servo power drain going though the receiver, the Spektrum will shut down. I would crawl, turn both servos, or one in a bind and it would shut down.

I solved the problem by using a y-harness with 2 female ends and one male. Where it plugs into the receiver, pull out the red power wire, plug the servo into one end, plug the battery into the other.

It never shuts down now.

The way the BTA is designed on your TXT it puts alot of strain on the servo to get it to turn, I know this, I have the same setup.
The male side of the Y is in the BAT of the receiver with out the red pin.
The Front Servo is plugged into one female.
The battery (RX or Main Cells?) is in the other.

What does that do for it then? I am not understanding.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #42
MODERHATER™

The male end of the y harness plus into the channel for you servo not the battery port.

It isolates the power drain away from the receiver. The receiver sees no voltage drop so the Spektrum will not shut down.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
The male end of the y harness plus into the channel for you servo not the battery port.

It isolates the power drain away from the receiver. The receiver sees no voltage drop so the Spektrum will not shut down.
Now would I plug a Regulator or a RX battery in the Y. Also, do I have to do this for both channels? If so, do I need to split the power tap from the regulator?

So may questions...thanks for the patience.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #44
MODERHATER™

Yes plug a receiver pack into the other end.

Not sure about using the regulator, I just fried my 3rd one, I have bad luck with them.

I run 2 battery packs for my servos, one for each one. You could split it and use one pack.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
About the shaft...I have heard stories...so it is true. Wait and see what the Crawlmaster is going to leave as carnage.

RX Pack already on charge...
Did you think I was telling a fish story here?

I think 666 maybe on to what has been causing the issues in your TXT. If I remember correctly your truck has been shutting down during big steering loads. I would think running a RX pack to each servo may sovle the issues. I may do this on my truck just to make sure I have plenty of power to both servos.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:06 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
Did you think I was telling a fish story here?

I think 666 maybe on to what has been causing the issues in your TXT. If I remember correctly your truck has been shutting down during big steering loads. I would think running a RX pack to each servo may sovle the issues. I may do this on my truck just to make sure I have plenty of power to both servos.
Busted...I was thinking the same thing. The Spektrum seems to be sensitive. When I full lock...I lose everything. This should fix it. I would rather use the Regs than adding more weight.

JRH,
If you are on here...Can I "Y" harness the output side of the regulator to go to the servo "Y"s that 666 is talking about for the two servos?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Busted...I was thinking the same thing. The Spektrum seems to be sensitive. When I full lock...I lose everything. This should fix it. I would rather use the Regs than adding more weight.

JRH,
If you are on here...Can I "Y" harness the output side of the regulator to go to the servo "Y"s that 666 is talking about for the two servos?
No no, add more weight so I can see what will snap in the driveline first!

Those RX packs you had in your box o' stuff didn't have that much weight, and I would place one on each axle, given you are already biased heavily to the front.

I would have to layout a single line drawing, but I think, if you do it right, you could "Y" the regulator.

Also, before you fight it that much, try a different radio first! Make sure it really is the Spectrum being sensitive. Also, if you have the time, go through and layout your wiring. That will help make everything make sense and you should be able to find points to check voltages (both now and later) to make sure everthing is working right.

On a side note...were those rx packs in good shape you had in your box??
Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
On a side note...were those rx packs in good shape you had in your box??
Yes...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes...
Hmmm....I may have to try this "Y" harness and RX pack powered battery trick out. Should wake those servos up and that poor poor mag mayhem.

We'll talk later about those...damn you and your parts store on wheels!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We'll talk later about those...damn you and your parts store on wheels!
I figure if I carry the sheat around long enough, someone will need something. I just cannot figure out how you got a tab.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
I figure if I carry the sheat around long enough, someone will need something. I just cannot figure out how you got a tab.
I think the tab comes from you worrying too much about me removing any advantages you have. Not sure why you are letting me buy your old stuff that I can use to stay on par or build an adatange!

I think you have a secret desire to be a stripper and love having cash handed to you, dreaming you were off to a champange room only to realize that you just sold off the parts needed for me to stay #1 in the points chase! Hahaha!

If you need your crack money sooner just let me know, I am sure AB-C John will hold it, not sure what his cut would be...
Old 07-02-2007, 11:41 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think the tab comes from you worrying too much about me removing any advantages you have. Not sure why you are letting me buy your old stuff that I can use to stay on par or build an adatange!

I think you have a secret desire to be a stripper and love having cash handed to you, dreaming you were off to a champange room only to realize that you just sold off the parts needed for me to stay #1 in the points chase! Hahaha!

If you need your crack money sooner just let me know, I am sure AB-C John will hold it, not sure what his cut would be...
OK...you have images of me escourting someone "?" to the champange room.

I thought this was a tech thread.

Back to business

Ordered the HD Adjustable Reg from JRH. Will try that will a "Y" and bypass the receiver. In the mean time, I will hook up those two RX packs that Busted thinks that he is going to get a deal on, and see how they work.

Busted,
Remember, never cross the Club Prez or the crack dealer...
Old 07-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
OK...you have images of me escourting someone "?" to the champange room.

I thought this was a tech thread.

Back to business

Ordered the HD Adjustable Reg from JRH. Will try that will a "Y" and bypass the receiver. In the mean time, I will hook up those two RX packs that Busted thinks that he is going to get a deal on, and see how they work.

Busted,
Remember, never cross the Club Prez or the crack dealer...

On topic, I think that HD regulator should help you out. I still vote for laying out your wiring on paper just to make sure that everything is in order. But, I am also the guy that bought my truck because the builder was couldnt figure out why it wouldnt run...a loose pinion on a motor will kill ya!

Off topic, I would like to try before I buy on the RX packs as I am not sure if it would make a huge difference to me at this point. The tab is big enough, and I am just not sure, with still being brushed, if I will see a huge increase. I just dont have any batteries with the correct connector to tryout first.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Plugged the RX Pack in the Receiver and the rig came alive. I will make the "Y" connectors and get this thing running.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

I will keep you in the loop.

Thanks,
John

Quote:
On topic, I think that HD regulator should help you out. I still vote for laying out your wiring on paper just to make sure that everything is in order. But, I am also the guy that bought my truck because the builder was couldnt figure out why it wouldnt run...a loose pinion on a motor will kill ya!
HD Reg on it's way. Will combine that with what 666 said. That should be the ticket.
I bought a RC18T that way...lose wire on the motor.

Quote:
Off topic, I would like to try before I buy on the RX packs as I am not sure if it would make a huge difference to me at this point. The tab is big enough, and I am just not sure, with still being brushed, if I will see a huge increase. I just dont have any batteries with the correct connector to tryout first.
Take your time. I will work this out and then you know what direction to go in. As you know, this is a work in progress and I love buying stuff and realizing I don't need it.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:06 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Well guys,
Check this out and give me your thoughts. This is very rough but the best I can do, being a salesman

Thanks,
John

PS. There are yellow lines there...they are hard to see.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #56
MODERHATER™

Looks good to me, however the black wires shown should be plugged in that end off the regulator and where it goes into the receiver, I may not be right though I'm not a regulator guy though.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Just looked at it again and there is a problem.

I need the Female to Males off the Regulator.

Then two Female to Male and Female to link to the Servo and the Receiver.

I should just stay will selling.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Revised...

Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

JRH,
Running the new Reg you sent...what should I set the Output Voltage at? I am running the 5955mg on front and a 945 on back.

Can I push the voltage without frying a servo? I believe, without looking, the Digitals can handle up to 10V.

By the way, thanks for the help with the Reg issue.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #60
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
JRH,
Running the new Reg you sent...what should I set the Output Voltage at? I am running the 5955mg on front and a 945 on back.

Can I push the voltage without frying a servo? I believe, without looking, the Digitals can handle up to 10V.

By the way, thanks for the help with the Reg issue.
Your diagram looks good.

I would start at 6v and test the temps on the servos, keep them under 130 or 140 on the case for safety. You can always increase the voltage and get more power, but you can't unfry a servo if you overvolt it.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote