Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > EnRoute Berg

Notices

Thread: rockbound's if you cant beat em, join em build..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losichris View Post
How do you like that zippy 1050 40c battery? I have been looking at it but dont know anyone that uses it.
first time using it today, it was great, i ran out of time before it ran out of juice, 20+ minutes, plenty of punch. i like it. they could have used lower gage "smaller" wire on them though..
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

got to run it a bit today with the 3.5" shocks, it did all the stuff i did with the 4" shocks on, had some difficulty breakovers, but it did do them with a little more work/wheel speed.

the limited articulation was really difficult to get used to, in fact i still am not, seems like i needed to burp though/over some stuff that i could have crawled before with the 4" shocks. if i didnt the truck would teater and sometimes flop over..

i really couldn't notice much difference in side hilling.

i really dont think i can get used to the 3.5" shocks, just doesn't feel right to me, truck feels more rigid, even burping up the vertical stuff it was bouncing more. shocks were bottoming out and casing truck to bounce all over the place. flexes smooth, but just doesn't seem like enough to keep truck stable.

running the gold losi spings on the 3" and 90wght oil, same set up in the 4" shocks.

will do some more testing tomorrow with the 3.5" shocks.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:30 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbound View Post
got to run it a bit today with the 3.5" shocks, it did all the stuff i did with the 4" shocks on, had some difficulty breakovers, but it did do them with a little more work/wheel speed.

the limited articulation was really difficult to get used to, in fact i still am not, seems like i needed to burp though/over some stuff that i could have crawled before with the 4" shocks. if i didnt the truck would teater and sometimes flop over..

i really couldn't notice much difference in side hilling.

i really dont think i can get used to the 3.5" shocks, just doesn't feel right to me, truck feels more rigid, even burping up the vertical stuff it was bouncing more. shocks were bottoming out and casing truck to bounce all over the place. flexes smooth, but just doesn't seem like enough to keep truck stable.

running the gold losi spings on the 3" and 90wght oil, same set up in the 4" shocks.

will do some more testing tomorrow with the 3.5" shocks.
Try going a lot lighter on the oil. 30wt was too slow for me so I switched to 15wt. That will help with the bouncing and having to burp it so much. It will still teeter and flip occasionally though until you learn to avoid those situations.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

I use 15wt oil with gold springs, now that I'm use to it I love it.

The added articulation from the 4" shocks just seemed to get me in more trouble then not. Once I committed to a more limited articulation I found it much easier to float over stuff instead of getting hung up in it, I also found it very easy to get out of trouble in V cracks. As far as limited breakover? I'm not sure what you mean, I could run 3 1/2"s of clearance if I wanted with the 3.5" shocks, if you like to run higher then that then 4" shocks might fit your style better. I run at 3 1/8" ground clearance and I know a lot of you think that's not enough, and it may not be for you. I like how stable it feels.

At the end of the day you need to set your truck up the way that you feel it works best, remember that your own confidence is the best part of your rig!
Rockshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshow View Post

The added articulation from the 4" shocks just seemed to get me in more trouble then not. Once I committed to a more limited articulation I found it much easier to float over stuff instead of getting hung up in it, I also found it very easy to get out of trouble in V cracks. As far as limited breakover? I'm not sure what you mean, I could run 3 1/2"s of clearance if I wanted with the 3.5" shocks, if you like to run higher then that then 4" shocks might fit your style better. I run at 3 1/8" ground clearance and I know a lot of you think that's not enough, and it may not be for you. I like how stable it feels.

At the end of the day you need to set your truck up the way that you feel it works best, remember that your own confidence is the best part of your rig!
Do you run them 3.5" eye to eye or have you done a cap mod or longer rod end?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

They are right at 3.5 eye to eye with out the cap mod, I've also limited the rears by 1/8". I've thought about trying 3" shocks with the cap mod.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:03 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
They are right at 3.5 eye to eye with out the cap mod, I've also limited the rears by 1/8". I've thought about trying 3" shocks with the cap mod.
That's crazy talk. Didn't you give me flack at worlds last year for running short shocks & limited articulation???!
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
That's crazy talk. Didn't you give me flack at worlds last year for running short shocks & limited articulation???!

Hey, I'm just trying to be like you when I grow up!

The new chassis has a little more articulation to it so I'm just trying to dial it back down.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

thanks guys for all the ideas, i will definitely be trying lots of different set ups, i agree with a lot of what your all saying, and it is true that the best thing to do is learn your rig no matter how it is set up, confidence/knowledge in what the rig can do is the greatest advantage in driving.

running a thinner shock oil to me though seems like the shocks would bottom out faster than with the thicker oil, but i'll give it a try. i havent had a problem with the truck flexing too slow, just doesn't "seem" like it flexes enough for my liking, not saying thats goood or bad.

and yeah trying a 3" shock is just plain crazy talk lol
Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

are you cutting the gold springs down? or leaving them full size?
Old 05-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

i got another pack through with the 3.5" shocks, i didnt change the oil yet, but will try that later.

the truck seems just as capable with the 3.5's and im getting more used to how i need to drive it, i tossed the 4" back on and i could really notice a substantial difference in stability with the 3.5" the truck seemed way more loose and floppy with the 4". amazing how running something even for a couple battery packs, makes you more comfortable with what ever current setup you have. lol

at this point i am leaning towards the 3.5" but going back out to test 3.5" in the front and 4" in the rear. this gives me a little more flex like i wanted, and also it will hopefully make it more stable than 4" all around.

after i decide what size shocks/combo i like, i will fool with the oil wt.

thanks again for all the suggestions
Old 05-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

The lighter oil and faster shocks results in lifting tires less when you dont really want it to. And I think most people cut the springs down. If you don't, the preload would be crazy tight.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

You do not have to cut the springs down. I have about a 1/4" preload on them as well. It is not to much preload but if it is for you take the preload out. If you push my rig down and let go, it will have just a bit of sag. (1/8" maybe) If you like more then that you may end up cut them down a bit.

Last edited by Rockshow; 05-12-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
The lighter oil and faster shocks results in lifting tires less when you dont really want it to. And I think most people cut the springs down. If you don't, the preload would be crazy tight.
i wasn't having issues with the tires lifting when i didnt want them too, my issue was the rear shocks bottoming out "compressing too fast" when i was burping up ledges. front tires on ledge rear tires at bottom then goose it to hop up the ldege. the rear shocks would bottom out causing the truck to bounce all over the place. i was thinking light oil would make that effect worse. but i will still try it, who knows till ya try it.

Quote:
You do not have to cut the springs down. I have about a 1/4" preload on them as well. It is not to much preload but if it is for you take the preload out. If you push my rig down and let go to will have just a bit of sag. (1/8" maybe) If you like more then that you may end up cut them down a bit.
yeah, thats pretty much what i noticed with mine as well, push it down and it rebounds a bit, not to full height but doesnt stay sagged at full droop either. i'm actually liking where it sits with the springs uncut.

i was able to run another pack through it today with the 4" shocks in the rear and 3.5" in the front and i have to say i think i really like it set up this way. much more stable than the 4" all around, and a bit more articulation like i like than the 3.5" all around. I was able to do all the lines i did previously with the other 2 shock combos.

i will run another couple packs through it this way and then maybe start messing with oil weight.

Last edited by rockbound; 05-12-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

I'll just keep quiet. Forgot we are running different brands of shocks. Enjoy the truck
Old 05-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I'll just keep quiet. Forgot we are running different brands of shocks. Enjoy the truck
no man please, i i welcome all input, please dont take my response the wrong way, i thought maybe we were just thinking of 2 different things.

i appreciate any input or advise
Old 05-12-2010, 08:57 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Come on guys. Rockbound doesn't need any more help. I'm currently ahead of him in our local points series, and now I'm gonna have to work my ass off to keep it that way. Can you guys just give him one little piece of advice per month?
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:23 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Can you guys just give him one little piece of advice per month?
Fish would tell you that if you hit less gates, you will have a better score!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:16 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Fish would tell you that if you hit less gates, you will have a better score!
There's alot of truth in that.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Come on guys. Rockbound doesn't need any more help. I'm currently ahead of him in our local points series, and now I'm gonna have to work my ass off to keep it that way. Can you guys just give him one little piece of advice per month?
whats a matter, you scared true driving talent will finally prevail, since im not limited by inferior chassis design's anymore??