Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gmade R1-Greens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

norbyx...I knew eventually the FJ would get the portal axles. i just decided to make it sooner rather than later. another set of portals are on the way to put back under the R1. i have full confidence that the axles can handle the speed. at the time, i didnt want to push the axles too hard with not having replacement parts onhand. sitting full throttle just spinning on climbs, good size jumps, and second gear wheelies from a stand still are just plain hard on ring and pinions(if you've ever seen madram11s' videos on youtube, thats how we drive our 2.2 trucks). that was really my only area of concern, ring and pinions and portal gears. i pulled them apart and although they show a little wear, its nothing i wouldnt expect or be concerned with at this point. the portal gears look great. my motor is 2580kv, but puts out close to 500 watts on 3s with only a 38 amp draw. its torquey, efficient, have the weight of a 540, and doesnt mind the mud and muck.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

What motor is it that you have on the Fj?
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #43
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbo View Post
norbyx...I knew eventually the FJ would get the portal axles. i just decided to make it sooner rather than later. another set of portals are on the way to put back under the R1. i have full confidence that the axles can handle the speed. at the time, i didnt want to push the axles too hard with not having replacement parts onhand. sitting full throttle just spinning on climbs, good size jumps, and second gear wheelies from a stand still are just plain hard on ring and pinions(if you've ever seen madram11s' videos on youtube, thats how we drive our 2.2 trucks). that was really my only area of concern, ring and pinions and portal gears. i pulled them apart and although they show a little wear, its nothing i wouldnt expect or be concerned with at this point. the portal gears look great. my motor is 2580kv, but puts out close to 500 watts on 3s with only a 38 amp draw. its torquey, efficient, have the weight of a 540, and doesnt mind the mud and muck.
You haven't puffed your lipo's running that motor ?

Puffed mine with 19t motor.

Last edited by eric113; 05-21-2010 at 06:39 AM.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

tom i think im going to let the cat of the bag...

the motor is a scorpion brushless outrunner. i got turned on to them by a friend of mine tom(holycaveman). they are powerful 380 size motors that draw very low amps. my 2200 30c lipo can handle 66 amps. the motor draws 38 amps while putting out 530 watts. add a few more amps for the servos and im still within the capabilities of my lipo. i think inrunners draw way more amps, i dont know this is my first brushless motor. there might be combos that are faster. this motor has tons of punch.

the other half of it is the transmission. in second gear im in the neighborhood of 25:1. thats with a 13t pinion and i have gone as high as an 18t. i have geared as low as a 9t and in 1st gear(knocking on 100:1), im crawling with also zero cogging. the summit trans is fun to play with. i was killing brushed motors before but the outrunner is handling it just fine.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #45
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
tom i think im going to let the cat of the bag...

the motor is a scorpion brushless outrunner. i got turned on to them by a friend of mine tom(holycaveman). they are powerful 380 size motors that draw very low amps. my 2200 30c lipo can handle 66 amps. the motor draws 38 amps while putting out 530 watts. add a few more amps for the servos and im still within the capabilities of my lipo. i think inrunners draw way more amps, i dont know this is my first brushless motor. there might be combos that are faster. this motor has tons of punch.

the other half of it is the transmission. in second gear im in the neighborhood of 25:1. thats with a 13t pinion and i have gone as high as an 18t. i have geared as low as a 9t and in 1st gear(knocking on 100:1), im crawling with also zero cogging. the summit trans is fun to play with. i was killing brushed motors before but the outrunner is handling it just fine.
I think I found the motor.

Got any video ?
Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

any pictures of the motor??? How does it fit in the motor mount ... do you need an adapter ???
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:38 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

If its a 380 it probably needs an adapter. Holmes hobbies has some that look like they will work for something like that. I was considering doing a 3s-4s outrunner setup on my mmpro in my R1 when I get it. I'm interested in hearing more about this motor too.
Knitewulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:08 AM   #48
MODERATOR™

It's on this page: http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalo...s/hk22/?page=2

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

yup it needs an adapter. i have the one from holmes hobbies. TWINSET has a nifty little adapter that he made for the stock R1 trans that i need to get a hold of(hint, hint) there is a picture of the motor installed on the last page. i should have gotten some video this weekend. i was blasting the FJ around BattleGrounds. i blasted a rock hard enough to pop the lower link off the ball end and tore the ears out of the driveshaft yoke. the screws holding the the lower links bent. the axle housing has a pretty decent gouge in it too. other than that, nothing. repaired the driveshaft and was on my way. i was sure i had cracked the axle housing or broke something internally but the Gmade axles just laughed it off. im still very impressed
Old 05-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

Hmm I'm wondering what will happen with one of those in an r1 on 6s with one of my mmpros.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #51
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knitewulfe View Post
Hmm I'm wondering what will happen with one of those in an r1 on 6s with one of my mmpros.

Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:31 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

I guess I'll have to find out.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
i should have gotten some video this weekend. i was blasting the FJ around BattleGrounds. i blasted a rock hard enough to pop the lower link off the ball end and tore the ears out of the driveshaft yoke. the screws holding the the lower links bent. the axle housing has a pretty decent gouge in it too. other than that, nothing. repaired the driveshaft and was on my way. i was sure i had cracked the axle housing or broke something internally but the Gmade axles just laughed it off. im still very impressed

It was cool to see the FJ this past weekend. You gotta let me drive it next time

I thought you did break the axle housing. You really blasted that rock! The way I saw you beating the FJ, I'm sold on these axles. Mine will be on the way soon
Crawln Coles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #54
Moderator Rule Breaker

elbo, Do you have any more pics of your steering and front suspension setup on the fj?
Old 05-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

coles you definitely wont be dissapointed with these axles...cant wait to see what you put them under.

the axles are out of it getting fresh grease and doing a check of the gears. portal gears look great!. ring and pinion are starting to show a little wear but they look good. eric i will take some pics while im putting it back together tonite.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #56
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
coles you definitely wont be dissapointed with these axles...cant wait to see what you put them under.

the axles are out of it getting fresh grease and doing a check of the gears. portal gears look great!. ring and pinion are starting to show a little wear but they look good. eric i will take some pics while im putting it back together tonite.
That really good to hear about the axles holding up to summit trans. I can't wait to order up the axles.

Sweet! Some overall shots of the rig too please.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #57

your fj is super cool, and is going to be the inspiration for my next build!!!
dizrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #58
Moderator Rule Breaker

Whats your wheelbase set at on the fj ?

Last edited by eric113; 06-04-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

13" wheelbase. thanks for looking guys. the FJ has been a very fun truck to build and drive. the Gmade portals have really put this truck over the top.

updates are coming soon...trying to get this lockright and hydro assist in the 4runner before my next wheeling trip. too many projects...
Old 06-04-2010, 01:18 PM   #60
MODERATOR™

I tell this mofo all the time he needs to get back on RCC and post up some pictures and shit.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote