Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: R1 Frankenstein new project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default R1 Frankenstein new project

I've just finished my first crawler kit build (Wraith kit bomb-proofed with MIPs, Robinson Racing, etc. etc.) and am getting ready to start on a more ambitious project. I love the look of the Gmade R1 but realize after reading up on it that's it's not a particularly durable platform and has limited aftermarket mod options (esp. for the tranny and portals). So...I've ordered the chassis and Delrin skid plate so that I can start on an R1 Frankenstein project.

Goals for this build are:
1) preserve the look of the stock R1 (angry extraterrestrial insect)
2) bomb-proof tranny, axles and links from another established, well-supported platform
3) waterproof electronics so that I can go through streams
4) very strong crawling with a top end in the low- to mid-teens
5) at least 45-min runtime

So far, here's what I'm thinking:
SCX10 or Wraith axles (Burly tubes if I go SCX10)
Vanquish C-hubs and knuckles
MIP driveshafts
Wraith or tranny with Robinson slipper and gears
Possible custom-fabbed links unless I can find something off-the-shelf that will work
MMP waterproofed
Tekin ROC12 or Holmes Trailmaster
Hitec 7950 waterproofed
3S Lipo with Castle 10A BEC
Front headlights plus 3-bar light kit

I'll post updates as I start building. In the meantime, I'd love any/all input on the above, as well as on the following:
- Motor recommendations
- Battery (would like to fit within chassis if possible or mount on front axle, but definitely not a big brick sticking out the back)
- Widening chassis with spacers to create more room for tranny & electronics
- Shocks

Wish me luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: R1 Frankenstein new project

That is pretty much exactly where I'm headed with my R1. I can't wait to see your progress!
supermoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:17 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I`m looking forward to seeing your build.
I have a XR10 and couldn`t decide between a R1 or wraith,the best of both worlds might be the direction I head in I think.
philg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Just putting the finishing touches on a bomb-proof Wraith build. That thing is a blast. I'm looking forward to seeing how the R1 Franky will compare. The chassis should be coming in next week along with my G6 kit. Mockup photos will follow shortly.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I did it with SCX axles and trans. Let me know if you want me to remove the pics....

T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
I did it with SCX axles and trans. Let me know if you want me to remove the pics....
That looks great. I have a few questions:
What did you use for links? Something off the shelf or custom-fabbed?
What battery/motor/ESC combo did you use and what gearing?
Did you have any issues getting everything to fit and run?
Old 04-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
That looks great. I have a few questions:
What did you use for links? Something off the shelf or custom-fabbed?
What battery/motor/ESC combo did you use and what gearing?
Did you have any issues getting everything to fit and run?
I used the links from a AX10 kit...The first AX10. I bent them myself.
I ran a 18.5 brushless Novak goat setup. For a battery I used a saddle pack up front on each side of the servo. It was a 7 cell pack.Something Like this only 4 cells on 1 side and 3 on the other.

I ran 87/20 gearing. The only problems I had was I had to re drill for the trans, and cut the skid plate for the bottom links to fit right..It wasn't bad at all.And it's fun as hell to run. Soft springs to keep the CG low you love it.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:26 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I used the links from a AX10 kit...The first AX10. I bent them myself.
I ran a 18.5 brushless Novak goat setup. For a battery I used a saddle pack up front on each side of the servo. It was a 7 cell pack.Something Like this only 4 cells on 1 side and 3 on the other.
I ran 87/20 gearing. The only problems I had was I had to re drill for the trans, and cut the skid plate for the bottom links to fit right..It wasn't bad at all.And it's fun as hell to run. Soft springs to keep the CG low you love it.
Good info to have. I just ordered a set of XR10 aluminum stage 3 links on close out ($57) and will see if some of those can work. Also have the stock aluminum lowers leftover from my Wraith build and will have stock SCX10 lowers leftover from my G6 build. Among all of those, am hoping some combination will work. If not, will probably go custom.

Once I get axles sorted, I'll play around with mockup battery placement. You said either side of the servo, correct? Did you stand them upright on the axle?
Old 04-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Like this...

There's also a tray on the rear of the R1's cage that a small lipo fits on too.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well...the chassis finally arrived, as did my SCX10 G6 kit and some of my mod parts. So I've started mocking up. So far, I'm not sure if I like the geometry of SCX10 axles using various combination of XR10, Wraith and SCX10 links. I may decide to try Wraith axles instead.

In the meantime, I started playing around with a battery placement idea. Using an extra saddle pack from my SC10 4x4, I think I stumbled upon something that may work. Flipping the rear battery tray upside down allows me to get both halves of a full-size saddle pack (this one happens to be a 5700 mAH 2s) in the rear, half above the tray and half below. Ignoring the wires for the moment (I can clean those up easily), what do you think? Will this work once I add tranny, motor, links and axles?

Name:  DSC01300.jpg
Views: 2523
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Would I be able to have a wraith tranny with a dig unit installed that will fit in the R1 chassis?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by philg View Post
Would I be able to have a wraith tranny with a dig unit installed that will fit in the R1 chassis?
I Don't think there's enough room. Unless you do some major cutting.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

It's been done, check out the tips and tricks sticky.
cytogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytogen View Post
It's been done, check out the tips and tricks sticky.
Thanks mate,it looks pretty easy,just a tad of cutting and in it all goes.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Well...the chassis finally arrived, as did my SCX10 G6 kit and some of my mod parts. So I've started mocking up. So far, I'm not sure if I like the geometry of SCX10 axles using various combination of XR10, Wraith and SCX10 links. I may decide to try Wraith axles instead.

In the meantime, I started playing around with a battery placement idea. Using an extra saddle pack from my SC10 4x4, I think I stumbled upon something that may work. Flipping the rear battery tray upside down allows me to get both halves of a full-size saddle pack (this one happens to be a 5700 mAH 2s) in the rear, half above the tray and half below. Ignoring the wires for the moment (I can clean those up easily), what do you think? Will this work once I add tranny, motor, links and axles?
As for the links I used ax10 links. The old school ones from an original ax10 kit. The top links are different and not a one piece design like the "Y' looking link they put in now.It was still a "Y" shape but was easily made into a 4 kink.And all I did to the lower ones was bent them. The wheelbase was right around 12"
And as for the battery.Other than being a tad tail heavy...Yeah it'll work....

Last edited by T I N Y; 05-03-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by philg View Post
Thanks mate,it looks pretty easy,just a tad of cutting and in it all goes.
You might want to read both of those threads in there about the wraith trans.One seems to make it sound easy and the other one seems to tell a different story. No matter what one you read there's more to it then a little cutting.
There's driveshaft issues spur gear issues link issues spur cover issues. just wanting to let ya know the real work you'll be doing. And like the one says it's for more speed not crawling.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
As for the links I used ax10 links. The old school ones from an original ax10 kit. The top links are different and not a one piece design like the "Y' looking link they put in now.It was still a "Y" shape but was easily made into a 4 kink.And all I did to the lower ones was bent them. The wheelbase was right around 12"
And as for the battery.Other than being a tad tail heavy...Yeah it'll work....
I'm thinking that I like that placement for the battery, but I can definitely see the tail heaviness issue (as well as some top heaviness). I might try to offset that with some added weight up front, but we'll see.

In the meantime, I got my G6 axles and links assembled and tried several different combination of G6, XR10 and Wraith links and couldn't get the axle rotation right. Seems like the upper and lower mounting points require a greater difference in length between upper and lower links. Using the shortest links I have for uppers and the longest ones I have for lowers, I'm still too short on the lowers or too long on the uppers. I'm thinking of cutting down the upper XR10 links to get the right offset. So 2 more questions for you out of curiosity:

-- What lengths are your upper & lower links front & rear?
-- What length shocks did you use?

And thanks for all of your input on this, Tiny. Much appreciated...
Old 05-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
You might want to read both of those threads in there about the wraith trans.One seems to make it sound easy and the other one seems to tell a different story. No matter what one you read there's more to it then a little cutting.
There's driveshaft issues spur gear issues link issues spur cover issues. just wanting to let ya know the real work you'll be doing. And like the one says it's for more speed not crawling.
Thanks mate I`ll read it all and decide what to do.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:48 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'm thinking that I like that placement for the battery, but I can definitely see the tail heaviness issue (as well as some top heaviness). I might try to offset that with some added weight up front, but we'll see.

In the meantime, I got my G6 axles and links assembled and tried several different combination of G6, XR10 and Wraith links and couldn't get the axle rotation right. Seems like the upper and lower mounting points require a greater difference in length between upper and lower links. Using the shortest links I have for uppers and the longest ones I have for lowers, I'm still too short on the lowers or too long on the uppers. I'm thinking of cutting down the upper XR10 links to get the right offset. So 2 more questions for you out of curiosity:

-- What lengths are your upper & lower links front & rear?
-- What length shocks did you use?

And thanks for all of your input on this, Tiny. Much appreciated...
My links were just the factory ax10 length.The original ax10 links are different then the scx10 length. Plus I had the 4 link mounts.And for shocks I used the ax10 shocks as well.
NO problem ... I'm glad to help.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Baby steps... After playing around with an assortment of links that I have sitting around from other builds, I think I'm going to go with Wraith aluminum lowers for the lower front links and, fingers crossed, XR10 uppers for the rear lower. I say fingers crossed because I like the look of the XR10 links but am not sure if they will knock upper links once I install the uppers. Worst case, I substitute the stock G6 aluminum lowers (which are straight) for the XR10 links and won't have any clearance issues.

This setup should give me a wheelbase of ~12.5". The Wraith lowers are shorter than the XR10 uppers by over 10mm, which will help add some front weight bias. The geometry should look something like these pix. I have a set of Wraith axle housings coming this week so that I can pin this down and order custom-length Vanquish links for the uppers.

Name:  IMG_3744.jpg
Views: 4384
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  IMG_3745.jpg
Views: 2481
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3746.jpg
Views: 3064
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3747.jpg
Views: 2552
Size:  86.6 KB

Next up will be starting to sort out tranny (need to decide on SCX10 vs. Wraith), motor & ESC. Let me know what you think...

R1 Frankenstein new project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frankenstein Mike Flea Axial SCX-10 14 05-11-2014 06:39 PM
Frankenstein Rok Out Axial Wraith 46 01-14-2014 05:37 PM
Project FRANKENSTEIN "FRANKY" jeremy75 Formula Offroad 29 01-27-2013 06:58 AM
Frankenstein Mr. Ed Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 7 02-22-2009 03:50 PM
Project Frankenstein Frkan Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 03-21-2005 05:47 PM