Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: The first real weak link!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default The first real weak link!

Well today i was doing some preventative maintenance and noticed i had quit a bit of rotational play in each individual tire. So i decided to yank my diffs out and found that the wear in the axle slots on the locker are almost completely worn out and are on the verge of stripping out. So i guess the suspicious cast diff gears really are as weak as they look. Also where the ring and pinion teeth make contact they are worn and mushroomed s bit. On the plus side the axles show no wear at all. Ive had my truck for about a month but run it every second or third day. Cant wait till someone comes out with hardened steel ring and pinion.

Reaxion911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The first real weak link!

Ahh, I noticed some locker play in my rear axle as well. might have to take a look!
jp0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
RCC Addict

It happens with gmade axles when running with moderate to lots of power.
I would also check the inner axle bearings and holders to see if they are ok. If the inner bearings are failing, it causes wobble and accelerates the wear on the locker and gears.

Good luck with waiting for hardened steel parts. I have been waiting a long time for my R1 to have a vendor make HD gears.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

the sawback seems to be quite popular , so the chances are higher for HD gears i guess
atf300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf300 View Post
the sawback seems to be quite popular , so the chances are higher for HD gears i guess
Lets all hope so.
old man 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Thanks for the heads up
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
It happens with gmade axles when running with moderate to lots of power.
I would also check the inner axle bearings and holders to see if they are ok. If the inner bearings are failing, it causes wobble and accelerates the wear on the locker and gears.

Good luck with waiting for hardened steel parts. I have been waiting a long time for my R1 to have a vendor make HD gears.

Are the r1 ring and pinions the same a as the sawback? If so then i can actually order some to have as spares. At least its only a 10 min trail fix IF i can find some fir my trail med kit.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

It shows different part numbers and the sawback set is 32/14 and r1 set is 32/17 so if you have time to check if the rings are the same and the 17t pinion works in the sawback housing. If so we have the makings of an overdrive gearset for the sawback
Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Reaxion911,
I am currently building my new kit and will consider your experience with the wear.

maybe you could drill and tap a hole into the flat side of the spool and set screw the axles in?
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

I'm thinking the Titan 12 turn and swamper XL's prematurely wore your diffs out too , for what this rig is I think it's great but it's no competition scale crawler
Jesse C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse C View Post
I'm thinking the Titan 12 turn and swamper XL's prematurely wore your diffs out too , for what this rig is I think it's great but it's no competition scale crawler
Actually... it could easily be a competitive scaler. Mine's mucked a few lines my scx10's couldn't, and a friend of mine nearly crapped his pants when I was doing all the lines with my Sawback that he was doing with his $1k+ Wraith. Stronger gears would be nothing but a plus though, sometimes you do need a little extra wheelspeed (just not 3s on a racer/basher motor )
jp0160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Ive run a mamba max pro with 17.5 novak on my axial scx10 with weighted 2.2s for the last 8 months and the lockers are over 3 years old and dont show nearly this much wear. My sawback is extremely capable and would definatly run any line my axial would (now with the chassis setup im running). Im just saying that the steel used to cast the diff gears is of poor quality and far too soft. An option part of hardened steel gears for those of us who bought the truck to run and not look at on the shelf is needed. And with recommended suspension settings for up to 20 turn motors i would expect the truck not to wear out in a month. Just sayin
Old 01-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i would deff get a set of steel gears if they were available regardless of the condition of my stock stuff
Koldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Not saying that a titan is not overkill and did not contribute to the worn locker. i am now running a 45turn at least until parts are available
Old 01-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #15

Hey man, sorry I wasn't trying to bash you, I was just trying to say your previous set up May have caused some premature wear, but there's no way that should have happened after only a month of use.
Hopefully they come out with some hardened gears soon
Jesse C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaxion911 View Post
Im just saying that the steel used to cast the diff gears is of poor quality and far too soft. An option part of hardened steel gears for those of us who bought the truck to run and not look at on the shelf is needed. And with recommended suspension settings for up to 20 turn motors i would expect the truck not to wear out in a month. Just sayin
I agree with you 100%. I think that everyone of us with any RC experience looked at those gears when building the kit and thought, "Oh Hell. I guess I'll run them and see what happens." I know that I for one knew exactly what I was about to hear about when I saw the title of this thread.

I'd be very surprised if someone did not come out with steel gears, eventually. Of course that takes time and there has to be a pretty high demand, so we'll see if enough people buy this rig and drive it hard enough to justify the heavy duty stuff. (My son just said, "heheh....heavy duty."

In the mean time, try to drive it like a crawler and hope someone parts out a new kit on Ebay soon so you can snag another set of the stock gears until steel is available.

duty
Alpha Male is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

My eyes are open! The last two runs i have been backpacking my axial in case it lets go! Id much rather be backpacking a gearset to swap out on the trail but until that time ill be avoiding bindy bindy. Lol usually end up at least an hour from the car so i will do everything possible to avoid sulking out with a broken truck.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Im still interested in knowing if the r1 gearset will work. Anyone? Beuller?!

The first real weak link! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weak lower link bigjoe623 Redcat Crawlers 6 03-28-2012 06:30 PM
Kits Weak Link snohiker Axial Wraith 9 11-17-2011 06:29 PM
weak link NickGood Newbie General 12 02-01-2011 10:22 AM
Found a weak link Lizard XJ Nebraska 1 06-15-2008 05:58 PM
Going brushless, need a weak link teamtom Newbie General 5 10-18-2006 08:39 PM