Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Class 1 discussion thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #61
RCC Addict

lets call it Class 1 or something. its a more limited class. its not a pre-2005 class. thats just stupid. limiting the motors is also stupid. jeez...
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #62
20K Club

Pre-2005 = Fail.

Make it simple to compete with the stuff that is available now. Don't limit creativity though, that is crawling.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
the nostalgia name will probably not stick, its just something to call it currently. dont take it too literally...

its not about building and running old school rigs, its about simplicity. its about not over complicating it with MOAs, digs, dual ESCs, $150+ wheels and shit... making it so that someone that just bought an ax10 and put a few dollars into it doesn't come out to a local comp and compete against a bunch of $1000+ MOAs. and not wanna come back because they're intimidated or overwhelmed or something...

part of the reason we're working on this here in vegas is to help increase the size of our club and turnout at GTGs/comps. we've had more than a few guys join up and come out to compete with a box stock AX10 or one with a goat in it and some aluminum upgrades. and when they get there they see all the high dollar MOAs, sponsor t-shirts, stacks of extra wheels and tires and shit and decide they dont even wanna compete. then we never see them again.
We have the same issues here in San Diego! There are basically a lot of first timers that just want to have fun and not worry about hitting gates and getting the lowest score. It's all about having fun. I recently started a digless comp club (NCRC) in the social group forum and the first two events were great turnouts and there have been crawlers that enjoyed the relaxed environment. It seems to be like a great idea and this kind of format should be pushed into all clubs IMO.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

call it the limited class and be done with it. Come up with what limits need to be in place and keep the other specs like the standard 2.2 class.
say
12.5" wb
12" tw
2.2" wheels
6" max tire height
single motor driven rigs only
one axle steering
no dig
no bodiless chasses
must run body 12.5l x 3"t x 5"w
no aluminum wheels

and what ever else you see fit to limit. I feel limiting motors would be a little iffy. Batteries I could see keeping it like the 1.9 but a lot of guys only own 3s lipos.
I am gonna talk to the members and push for this here as well. We have had over a dozen guys come and go because of the high level of competition. As much as I like the preasure it is nice to have more people involved.

Last edited by bigflex; 07-24-2009 at 09:19 PM.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

Isn't that the whole idea of a nostalgia class, old school, Kevin and I were talking about this just the other day, how cool it would be to run like in we did 3+ years ago. no dig, no axial axles no aluminum parts, just drivers and what they could do with a tlt.

Batteries, 6 to 8 cell nimh only just like we had 3 years ago, no lipo PERIOD!!!!!

Last edited by Ghost; 07-24-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #66
RCC Addict

We had drive shaft digs back then so why not allow them also.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
--The Nostalgia Class--
-Shafty only
-single motor, no limit on motor type (cobalt puller, brushed lathe, brushless, etc...)
-chassis or link mounted battery
-2s lipo/8cell NiMh maximum allowed
-2.2 wheels
-Max rig weight of 5 lbs
-12.5 WB
-no dig allowed

Edited*** Dropped from 3s to 2S, 4 wheels steering removed ***

this is basically what my club ( www.team-svsc.com) is running as a 'sportsman' class, it gives the newbies a place to run their RTR rigs, as well the rest of us who used all of our spare parts to assemble a 2nd rig. I personally have more fun running the sportsman class than I do the 2.2 comp class because the rig is basically thrown together with left over parts, and it still climbs/ crawls almost as good as my comp rig!
The 2s LiPo limit makes drivetrain parts last longer yet there's still enough power on tap to get decent wheel speed.

I hope you do well with pushing for this class, it brings a lot of fun back into a comp!

Last edited by BigSki; 07-27-2009 at 01:27 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Isn't that the whole idea of a nostalgia class, old school, Kevin and I were talking about this just the other day, how cool it would be to run like in we did 3+ years ago. no dig, no axial axles no aluminum parts, just drivers and what they could do with a tlt.

Batteries, 6 to 8 cell nimh only just like we had 3 years ago, no lipo PERIOD!!!!!
you can count me out then. TLT axles NIMH and pede trannies. No thank you I spent more damn money trying to keep my tlt going than I have my axial. TLT's suck unless you spend as much on them as you would buying a set of Bergs. Not to mention tlt parts are getting harder to find these days.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #69
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
you can count me out then. TLT axles NIMH and pede trannies. No thank you I spent more damn money trying to keep my tlt going than I have my axial. TLT's suck unless you spend as much on them as you would buying a set of Bergs. Not to mention tlt parts are getting harder to find these days.
IF it was TLT axles I would be out too. Hate those damn things.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

I like the idea of this, though a nearly stock ax10 is far more capable than people give them credit.

I built one for a buddy to comp using stock ax10 chassis with exension built out and lower for shock mounts & stock skid (bottom links moved in).

No dig, just a mirrored transmission, and then a set of homemade 4-link plates. he was running weighted ProLine Hammers on stock Axial wheels. Only really trick stuff on it was a JR 8711 servo, Losi shocks, sidewinder ESC, a HH handwound 35t, and a 12 cell pack.

He was the only guy in our last comp without dig, and he placed 3rd, beating out a couple Bergs and several high dollar, very nice Axials...even at least 1 Losi.

I'd love to see a comp class where rigs like that were as trick as you could get. I bet it'd be alot of fun.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

How can you have a Nostalgia Class, without Clods?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
i ran a stadium truck body on my 2.2 SW2 back in 06 so i don't see a point in limiting it to full bodies like the rubicon and bronco.
I remember it. It was FUGLY. The whole point of 2.2 back then was more of something you'd see on the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Buncha Vegas pu$$ies!
Word up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Limit it to 1 motor?

I'm going to float this idea to our club this sunday.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:53 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
As long as I don't have to use a Pede tranny, I'm good.
Awe come on...I still have my OG Pede Tranny... it would be a drop in...

Does Bender have any more SW2's???

What kind of stock does Tamiya have on TLT Kits...

I like this idea...we have gotten so far from the basics...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

pti's were available back then
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
word! thats what I was saying earlier. As long as they are limited to being stock width axles it should be fair.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
call it the limited class and be done with it. Come up with what limits need to be in place and keep the other specs like the standard 2.2 class.
say
12.5" wb
12" tw
2.2" wheels
6" max tire height
single motor driven rigs only
one axle steering
no dig
no bodiless chasses
must run body 12.5l x 3"t x 5"w
no aluminum wheels

and what ever else you see fit to limit. I feel limiting motors would be a little iffy. Batteries I could see keeping it like the 1.9 but a lot of guys only own 3s lipos.
I am gonna talk to the members and push for this here as well. We have had over a dozen guys come and go because of the high level of competition. As much as I like the preasure it is nice to have more people involved.
This looks like the best bet. Sportsman Class. I do think you would have to limit the batteries to 7.4v. Then if somebody wants to run Lipo they can, but you can also run Nimh if thats what you got.I also think that you should be allowwed to run bodiless. There were alot of Tubers back in the day. It would be a great starter class and would also be fun for the old timers to bring back some good memories
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 AM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Subscribed to see how this progresses.

Crawling quickly got too expensive for me. If I could be competitive with a stock Axial, I'd be back in the game.
Pete from Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

I don't know guys, 2004 was pretty cool ...

It had 4ws because 2.2 wasn't a "class" yet (it got to run with the Supers), was pretty much a Stampede with TLT axles and a Nylon chassis, and had a standard servo out back because that's all it needed

Point is, it would be great to see something reintroduce creativity into the crawling world
Highmark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #79
Quarry Creeper

I have been hoping for this to come, I still run my shafty tuber no dig.
Make the rules the same as 1.9 just bigger rigs.

Mike

Edit: It would be fun to get back to building instead of buying.

Last edited by Mike Poulson; 07-25-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Mike Poulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #80
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Point is, it would be great to see something reintroduce creativity into the crawling world
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Poulson View Post
It would be fun to get back to building instead of buying.
Since when did you have to lose creativity in crawling? You only have to lose it if your lazy. Back in the day there was no choice because we didn't have anything to chose from. This class isn't going to achieve that, you can still just buy everything you need. If you still want to build and be creative you still have 100% control over that, I have built most everything on my 2.2 and it is as competitive a rig as you can get.