Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Class 1 discussion thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Since when did you have to lose creativity in crawling? You only have to lose it if your lazy. Back in the day there was no choice because we didn't have anything to chose from. This class isn't going to achieve that, you can still just buy everything you need. If you still want to build and be creative you still have 100% control over that, I have built most everything on my 2.2 and it is as competitive a rig as you can get.
I agree. Maybe it's because I started into this when we were still making stuff out of TLT, TXT, X-Factor axles, etc, and there was very little vendor support available. I still can't bring myself to just buy a chassis and do what everybody else is doing. I may not have the most original design, but I'd like to think that there's some creativity that's gone into my comp rig... and, though untested in competition, I'll bet that once I get enough time on the rocks, it'll be competitive.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #82
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Since when did you have to lose creativity in crawling? You only have to lose it if your lazy. Back in the day there was no choice because we didn't have anything to chose from. This class isn't going to achieve that, you can still just buy everything you need. If you still want to build and be creative you still have 100% control over that, I have built most everything on my 2.2 and it is as competitive a rig as you can get.
The creativity in crawling has gotten smaller with all the over the counter parts. Back in the day,allot of us were hacking out chassis plates,brackets,servo mounts,links and everything else with a hacksaw,cordless drill and a dremel. Not everyone has access to a full blown machine shop. You should know with the line of work your in. Something designed on a computer till it's perfected and cut out on a CNC machine so everything works together.....will certainly have an edge over something built with a hacksaw. That IMO is where you'll have a hard time with a TRUE "Nostalgic Class".

A TRUE Nostalgia Class would be fun. I think it'd be hard to get allot of people interested in that,other than a handful of the OG's of RCC.

A "stock" class or something like that,there'd be more interest there for all the new guys. A stock AX-10 could be bought and run. Far from Nostalgic though and would definitely have an edge over an OG rig.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #83
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
The creativity in crawling has gotten smaller with all the over the counter parts. Back in the day,allot of us were hacking out chassis plates,brackets,servo mounts,links and everything else with a hacksaw,cordless drill and a dremel.
I would kind of disagree here. I think the NUMBER of people being creative in crawling is greater now, however the PERCENTAGE of people being creative is MUCH less.

Quote:
Not everyone has access to a full blown machine shop. You should know with the line of work your in. Something designed on a computer till it's perfected and cut out on a CNC machine so everything works together.....will certainly have an edge over something built with a hacksaw. That IMO is where you'll have a hard time with a TRUE "Nostalgic Class".
I do agree and totally understand. When I started I lived in an apartment and worked on my balcony with a hacksaw, dremel and corded drill. Was it fun, YES, but I still have more fun now. You remember the pain in the ass it was to find or build Pede trannys. Then going out and getting to run for 6 mins until your crap ass TLT axle shaft broke. I love that we have been able to grow the sport to something that we have dependable application specific parts designed and built for us to work from. I still live in an apartment now, but it is more of a town home and I have the CNC, drill press, etc. in the spare bedroom

Quote:
A TRUE Nostalgia Class would be fun. I think it'd be hard to get allot of people interested in that,other than a handful of the OG's of RCC.

We already have a Nostalgia class but it's called..............wait for it.......................the SUPER class
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:

We already have a Nostalgia class but it's called..............wait for it.......................the SUPER class
:flip off:
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Wouldn't a "real" nostalgia class require a home-made chassis?

I think the nostalgia could get way too bogged down in rules, 2004-spec vs. 2006 spec, and tech would be a nightmare. It's too easy to swap servo stickers (400-oz 3003 spec servo?) and armatures.

I do like the idea of a Sportsman class, though. Not only will the noobs have a place to run, but the vets can have some fun too, getting back to the basics.

My thoughts:

2WS
No dig
No drag brake
radio open
motor open
7.4v max

I'm sure everyone here has enough gear to build something like that. If you don't, bring an RTR!
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #86
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post

I think the nostalgia could get way too bogged down in rules, 2004-spec vs. 2006 spec, and tech would be a nightmare. It's too easy to swap servo stickers (400-oz 3003 spec servo?) and armatures.

I do like the idea of a Sportsman class, though. Not only will the noobs have a place to run, but the vets can have some fun too, getting back to the basics.

My thoughts:

2WS
No dig
No drag brake
radio open
motor open
7.4v max

I'm sure everyone here has enough gear to build something like that. If you don't, bring an RTR!

Other than the no drag brake I like it and agree
Old 07-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #87
20K Club

Quote:

My thoughts:

2WS
No dig
No drag brake
radio open
motor open
7.4v max

The other plus to this (minus the drag brake) is that lots of the local club guys in the 2.2 class could just swap in a 7.4v batt if they are running 3s, simply not use dig and be on a level playing field. I know my club is mostly shafty with only a few of us running MOA's.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
-Shafty only
-single motor, no limit on motor type (cobalt puller, brushed lathe, brushless, etc...)
-chassis or link mounted battery
-2s lipo/8cell NiMh maximum allowed
-2.2 wheels
-Max rig weight of 5 lbs
-12.5 WB
-no dig allowed

Edited*** Dropped from 3s to 2S, 4 wheels steering removed ***
with the exception of having dig (I have dig...) My rig meets these requirements perfectly... Dang, My stuff's outdated!
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #89
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

HEY! Those cobb webs on my super mean NOTHING at all.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #90
MODERHATER™

Nostalgia class = 1.9
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Patrick I personally don't think thats a good substitute for getting this done.

No offense to the 1.9 class intended but I think Nostalgia is 2.2.

Microgoats spec suits me just fine.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #92
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Patrick I personally don't think thats a good substitute for getting this done.

Microgoats spec suits me just fine.
Why not? it has everything you guys are whining about, essentially it is a drivers class, just like old school 2.2.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #93
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Why not? it has everything you guys are whining about, essentially it is a drivers class, just like old school 2.2.
Yup.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #94
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
No offence Norm,but I think technically supers are really more Nostalgic,all joking aside. Clod crawlers were being built way way way back when.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:27 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys, just put a link across to here from my local (Aussie) forum. We've been running our "Limited" class since the start of the year here and its proven to be very popular, with almost as many runners in this class as in our unlimited 2.2 class.

There was a lot of conjecture when forming the rules for our Limited class, but the nuts and bolts of it is a class that is simple, easy to get into and be competitive, and puts emphasis on driving skill, not driving aids.

The basic specs are:

- Maximum 320mm wheel.
- Maximum width 320mm.
- Front steer only.
- No BTA (behind the axle) steering permitted, steering must remain in front of the axle (this includes the servo horn and steering knuckle arms).
- Truck must be shaft driven.
- Single motor and speed control only.
- Front digs permitted only
- Chassis must be of conventional tub style with 4 shocks - No stick style chassis permitted.
- No active suspension permitted, must be basic spring and damper configuration.
- Full/Semi droop with internal spring also permitted.
- Controller may use 3 channels only, 3rd channel may only be used to operate a dig system (controller may have more channels however they may not be operational)
- Vehicle is limited to 2.2 inch wheels or smaller by manufacturer description.
- Tyres must be 2.2 or smaller, off the shelf items only, absolutely no modifications permitted (this includes cutting/sipping of tread etc).

There are also some details about over-the-counter only parts so that guys with access to workshops etc aren't at an advantage.

And yes, currently digs are included, but there is discussion of removing it for next year, which I think is a step in the right direction.

If you do pick up a class like this in the future, even the old hands will enjoy it as it strips all the guff out of it and really pits driver against driver, increasing the competitivness, but also the fun factor.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:56 AM   #96
RCC Addict

who remembers the shock mount chassis from back in the day? oh yeah baby...
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #97
Pebble Pounder

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnBlack View Post
Hey guys, just put a link across to here from my local (Aussie) forum. We've been running our "Limited" class since the start of the year here and its proven to be very popular, with almost as many runners in this class as in our unlimited 2.2 class.

There was a lot of conjecture when forming the rules for our Limited class, but the nuts and bolts of it is a class that is simple, easy to get into and be competitive, and puts emphasis on driving skill, not driving aids.

The basic specs are:

- Maximum 320mm wheel.
- Maximum width 320mm.
- Front steer only.
- No BTA (behind the axle) steering permitted, steering must remain in front of the axle (this includes the servo horn and steering knuckle arms).
- Truck must be shaft driven.
- Single motor and speed control only.
- Front digs permitted only
- Chassis must be of conventional tub style with 4 shocks - No stick style chassis permitted.
- No active suspension permitted, must be basic spring and damper configuration.
- Full/Semi droop with internal spring also permitted.
- Controller may use 3 channels only, 3rd channel may only be used to operate a dig system (controller may have more channels however they may not be operational)
- Vehicle is limited to 2.2 inch wheels or smaller by manufacturer description.
- Tyres must be 2.2 or smaller, off the shelf items only, absolutely no modifications permitted (this includes cutting/sipping of tread etc).

There are also some details about over-the-counter only parts so that guys with access to workshops etc aren't at an advantage.

And yes, currently digs are included, but there is discussion of removing it for next year, which I think is a step in the right direction.

If you do pick up a class like this in the future, even the old hands will enjoy it as it strips all the guff out of it and really pits driver against driver, increasing the competitivness, but also the fun factor.
That seems like a good set of rules, and i would be up for running with those rules,
willashcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #98
RCC Addict

Quote:

My thoughts:

2WS
No dig
No drag brake
radio open
motor open
7.4v max

A stock Losi with 2 channel radio would rule this class. No need for drag brake, turns great with no dig and run a brushless system. If no brushless allowed, run a 27T or 19T, the Losi would KILL this class.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 AM   #99
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
A stock Losi with 2 channel radio would rule this class. No need for drag brake, turns great with no dig and run a brushless system. If no brushless allowed, run a 27T or 19T, the Losi would KILL this class.
Yup, I would just get a Losi and yank the trans out. Then fab a simple transmission like the Rock Force uses to get the reduction and reduce weight.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #100
RCC Addict

I loved my first 2.2 so much. I had a blast at Rocas Rojo with no dig or drag brake it was like the old days.

2005 rig

Today's rig
SPECIAL ED is offline   Reply With Quote