Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Class 1 discussion thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #101
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
A stock Losi with 2 channel radio would rule this class. No need for drag brake, turns great with no dig and run a brushless system. If no brushless allowed, run a 27T or 19T, the Losi would KILL this class.

Why would it? I beat two on the weekend with my Axial.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #102
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnBlack View Post
Why would it? I beat two on the weekend with my Axial.
A good driver with an average rig will beat a good rig with an average rig any day. That being said, if you don't allow dig in a class, the steering the Losi has, along with the drag brake of worm drive (especially if you don't allow drag brake esc's) and the great ground clearance, I think the Losi would rule the class.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

I didn't mention that I beat them without a drag brake too did I?

Sorry, just stirring. I do see your point. Its true, each truck entered in this limited class will have its for's and against's, and you can't make them all equal with rules - it just gets too complicated.

But the Losi isn't really that much further ahead. Say drag brake ESCs are allowed - the advantage is mostly lost there. If they're not allowed, you'll certainly be building up your butt-clenching muscles!!. Sure diff clearance is good, but belly clearance isn't any better. Steering is good on the Losi too, but only a few degrees, not an earth-shattering difference. Perhaps is biggest advantage will be the lack of torque twist.

Perhaps the Losi will be the kit of choice? But with minimum outlay, anyone can buy the same kit and be competitive. which in the end, is the point.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

--Class 1--
-Shafty only
-single motor, Brushed 55 turn
-chassis or link mounted battery
-3s lipo/8cell NiMh maximum allowed
-2.2 wheels
-Max rig weight of 5 lbs
-12.5 WB
-no dig allowed

So does this sound right??
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
--Class 1--
-Shafty only
-2.2 wheels
-Max rig weight of 5 lbs
-12.5 WB
-no dig allowed

Sounds good to me.

I might even buy another crawler.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Heck I could still run my current comp rig minus the beadlocks and weights. I'd run that for sure, I think the South Bay Scalers my have a new comp class. Though the 5lbs limit may be an issue, I'll have to add up all my weights and subtract from the total weight.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat View Post
Wouldn't a "real" nostalgia class require a home-made chassis?

I think the nostalgia could get way too bogged down in rules, 2004-spec vs. 2006 spec, and tech would be a nightmare. It's too easy to swap servo stickers (400-oz 3003 spec servo?) and armatures.

I do like the idea of a Sportsman class, though. Not only will the noobs have a place to run, but the vets can have some fun too, getting back to the basics.

My thoughts:

2WS
No dig
No drag brake
radio open
motor open
7.4v max

I'm sure everyone here has enough gear to build something like that. If you don't, bring an RTR!
can I still run my purple motor springs

just another class to cheat at I will pass. scalers are more fun anyway..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #108
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
--Class 1--
-Shafty only
-2.2 wheels
-Max rig weight of 5 lbs
-12.5 WB
-no dig allowed

Putting a limit on the motor seems like a pretty bad idea since people WILL break the rule and it is impossible to tech efficiently. Plus you would effectively be writing a Losi LCC out of the rules which is easily going to be one of the most common newbie rigs out there.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 AM   #109
RCC Addict

I'm glad you guys posted this up, I currently comp with my 1.9 with my local club and it's a blast and I love it but the guys keep asking me to step up to a 2.2............well, everybody there is running bergs 97% dx3r's and fully loaded goody 2.2's. I just cant afford to drop the kinda cash to compete with that. Sometimes it's hard just to keep the MRC up to date ( without the wife knowing) I would like to see a class that is just like the 1.9 where I could take a artr out of the box drop your basic set up in and go outdrive these guys! Dig is for wimps! ( only cuz I cant afford it:-P) I dont know if there is enough guys around to Nashville to support this kinda class but I would find a way to get in it!

same as 1.9
no dig
no chassis limits
no electronic limits
just bring your junk and see if ya outdrive the other guy!
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #110
RCC Addict

i've never once run a 55t motor. i usually run a sealed can 27t or something. why limit it to that?
danielk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:26 AM   #111
RCC Addict

You can easily have a deal with a cheap motor company for bulk buy and have the motors handed out right before the competition. That's what we do around here on stock spec classes on road. Same company ca supply 55Ts for normal axles and 27Ts for worms.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:55 AM   #112
Rock Crawler

I really like the idea of a nostalgia class, but how can somthing that is only 2 years old (ax-10) be considered nostalgic?

My other thoughts are I had more fun putting together my old WK rig, and running it in the pre everybody has got to have dig days..... and the throw money at it till you win mentality..

I think a "sportsman" style class, that is pretty much limited to NIMH batteries, Brushed motors, 2 Channel Radios, TLT, Axial, Or WK axles, Plastic wheels or basic beadlocks, would be a blast...
It would probably get me to rebuild my wk comp rig.. Might also throw in some sort of stipulation regarding shocks or chasis in there would be good..

Great idea.. I'll follow the thread!

One more thought... NO worm gear setups, and if your going to run a moa setup it should be limmited to CLOD axles only .. with plastic cases...
crawler_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:46 AM   #113
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForce View Post
You can easily have a deal with a cheap motor company for bulk buy and have the motors handed out right before the competition. That's what we do around here on stock spec classes on road. Same company ca supply 55Ts for normal axles and 27Ts for worms.
We aren't racing so who's faster isn't an issue. Why bring the extra cost of handouts into it. Wheelspeed is a driving style not an advantage. Let people run whatever the hell they want.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

why not just make it brushed only... who cares what turn they are running. Pretty easy to tell a brushed from brushless.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:03 AM   #115
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
We aren't racing so who's faster isn't an issue. Why bring the extra cost of handouts into it. Wheelspeed is a driving style not an advantage. Let people run whatever the hell they want.
Who said anything about wheelspeed? But in a class where the point is to remain budget friendly as I see it, how can one running a closed axial 55 compare to a 60$ warrior 35x2 blah blah blah? Really I loved the idea of the "nostalgia" class just because it looks like a fun competition and not a "I spent half a Ferrari to build my truck" comp.
Not that we get many comps around here (none) but as I see it, it is cheaper to race 1/10 on road than to get a truly competent crawler (call me MOA) and then maintain it.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #116
I wanna be Dave

So no motor limit??? But still maintain brushed?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler_king View Post
I really like the idea of a nostalgia class, but how can somthing that is only 2 years old (ax-10) be considered nostalgic?
We were crawling way before Axial had a rig out.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I agree. The idea of a class 1 or novice class is to attract people, not limit their options too much & steer them away.

Fast motors & extra weight, while they can help in some situations can also hurt sometimes, too... and honestly don't cost that much more than the cheaper ones.

I would think that just limit it to:

- shafty only
- 1 motor
- 1 ESC
- only 2 channels in use on the rx (1 for servo and one for ESC)
- no dig
- everything else to follow 2.2 rules

That way, new people to the hobby can upgrade other parts without quickly worry of being forced out of the class.

You could run these along with the regular 2.2's on the same course, just with a different color score sheet to differentiate the class. If nothing else, maybe an occaisional novice gate to bypass an extremely tough gate.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 AM   #119
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
I would think that just limit it to:

- shafty only
- 1 motor
- 1 ESC
- only 2 channels in use on the rx (1 for servo and one for ESC)
- no dig
- everything else to follow 2.2 rules
These are the rules I would push for personally.

I would like to see seperate courses at a comp built for them so that we could run both classes, but that takes time and people of course. I would default to my comp 2.2 otherwise of course
Old 07-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
These are the rules I would push for personally.

I would like to see seperate courses at a comp built for them so that we could run both classes, but that takes time and people of course. I would default to my comp 2.2 otherwise of course
My thought on keeping the same course was only if it was going to be run as a Novice or beginner class. It would keep the newbs from being intimidated by competing against upper level guys, and limit the man-power need for course building and judging.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote