Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Sport/Sportsman Class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #101
RCC Addict

Random thoughts.....

"I can build a Bully cheaper than an Axial"
You can't buy a Bully at any LHS. Axials are the "standard" for entering the crawler hobby. They are everywhere.

"There's already a 1.9 class"
They take radically different courses. 2.2 pro and sportsman could be nearly identical courses.

"Only if that comp involves male modeling as a tie breaker."
Duuuuuuude never fails to crack me up....
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

there is no way to put a dollar amount limit or "stock" stipulation on the class without alot of tech inspection time and a bunch of headaches......keep it simple just add a few "can't have" rules and call it done

and for those that don't agree with the sportsman class.......who cares......don't compete in it if your club ever offers it
Crawlin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
2.2 pro and sportsman could be nearly identical courses.

Um, no. We set our courses up to challenge the 2.2 rigs. If a "Sportman" can finish one of our courses, I will be gett'in a -30 for the day.
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #104
MODERATOR™

And?

You'd be surprised what practice and persistence can do.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #105
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
And?

You'd be surprised what practice and persistence can do.
I was debunking the statement that one of the reasons for not using the 1.9 as a sportsman class was the different courses.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #106
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
Um, no. We set our courses up to challenge the 2.2 rigs. If a "Sportman" can finish one of our courses, I will be gett'in a -30 for the day.

we don't run them on the same course because that would be technically "pre-running" if you were running both classes that day.....plus the 2.2 "pro" is designed to be more difficult
Old 09-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

This thread is killing me.

I went to my first comp back about a year ago. I didn't have dig and ran a shafty. They asked if the new guys wanted a separate course. I was like hell no, I want to run with yall. I got beat but not last and could see I needed (and would like to have) dig to compete. We'll i saw the berg axles and their benefits, so i built a berg rig.

I like a good competition. So I bought/built/whatever parts to make my rig better, then practiced and stole rocks from the various areas to put at my house for more practice. And I still get beat at comps.

I just don't like folks complaining about parts this parts that, fix the course for me, yada yada yada. Make a sportsman class or two, and the normal "pro" class and flippin' crawl. Run the class you are prepared for and work on your driving skills.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #108
Rock Crawler

why would you allow a cliff climber but not a clod or berg?
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yea.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #110
MODERATOR™

Quote:
I was debunking the statement that one of the reasons for not using the 1.9 as a sportsman class was the different courses.
Alright.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #111
RCC Addict

Quote:
Alright.
Sure....
Old 09-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #112
MODERATOR™

Dezfan is the guy that posts up all this crap but doesn't actually have a crawler.

You've become that guy.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Dezfan is the guy that posts up all this crap but doesn't actually have a crawler.

You've become that guy.
I got a RS10, a scaler, and soon a Losi RTR!

So there!:-P
Old 09-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #114
MODERATOR™

Two trucks you can't sell, and one you want?

And
Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM   #115
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post

"Only if that comp involves male modeling as a tie breaker."
Duuuuuuude never fails to crack me up....
You'd win hands down Mike, Dude and I are old and bald.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

True, but I have them.

It's them damn SC trucks, they're like crack! I have way to many of them.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chafey View Post
why would you allow a cliff climber but not a clod or berg?
cliff climbers and the like have no real advantage over axial's or other similar rigs, they actually have a disadvantage in most cases. and to eliminate one of the least expensive entry level crawlers from entering the "Sportsman class" would just be wrong.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #118
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I know two things about TLT axles. Jack, and Squat. This does bring up a good question though...what to do about "frankenstien" rigs.

The only things I would question would be the parts for the TLT axles, and your choice in chassis's.

If those parts you want to put on the axles are more than $30 per item (or items...depends on how they are packaged) then they are a no-no.

If the TLT chassis is not usable (not sure why that is...but whatev) then find a stock chassis that is or make your own.
Tlt was one of the 1st axles we stared using, The chassis is a toy. With out the parts in the axle they would break, Thats not going to make a newb want to go on with the hobbie. The chassis I have I could just make one like it, but it's already there. 30 dollars ,I think I could get the axle stuff for that,but the CVCs they're 50.00. I all ready have all this stuff in my drawer. So none of it would cost me a penny. ON THE CVCs I could buy them piece by peice and not go over the 30.00.

If I make a chassis do I have to have it so that everyone else can get one too.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 PM   #119
RCC Addict

I dont get it, Why would you want to discourage newbies and less than perfect people from competing. Not everyone can go worldwide crawling and put 50k in a truck, In all the hobbies I have been in for the past 30 years from mini garden tractor pulls, to nascar I have ever seen a newbie or beginner have to compete with the pros and no sport today will allow this, so I dont understand the idealism behind "making them earn the right to crawl" Hell I crawl with Austin Dunn and Jeff Gill on a regular basis as well as a bunch of other Badd Arses from Bama and Tenn and if you dont think its intimidating then your just not right. I have been to several crawls where people put the rigs in the box when the bigboys show up and they usually make the statement that all the fun is gone when you cant run with the bigdogs, and why isnt there a class for beginners..
Sort of like Tony Stewart showing up at your local smalltown roundtrack on the weekends with his Nascar set-up. Do you really think you have a chance with your wifes pontiac? Not trying to be an arse, just trying to help this hobby grow before it winds up a slash class.

Quote:
But once again, you are penalizing success. If I lose or win, I want the playing field equal. I spend a crap load of time running, tuning, adjusting, running more, tuning more, etc. Why in the hell should I get a 20 point penalty because someone else is either new or does not have the dedication to the hobby that I have.

I have been to plenty of comps where I was destroyed. I went to Crawlapalooza last year and got stomped. Red Rock in CO in July, I finished 67 out of 75. At either event did I feel that any person had an advantage due to the amount of money they had in their rig? Hell no. I was happy to be around awesome drivers and be able to see what they did so I could learn.

Now, look at it this way. I own a company, have the skills, and the machinery to out class just about anyone when it comes to killer bling/trick rigs. I Bet you could drop $50,000.00 in my lap and say "Build a truck to beat Austin, Joe, Brad, Etc.....but you have to be the one to drive it." Those 3 would mop the floor with me by spending next to nothing because they are great drivers.

Sportsman = 1.9
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #120
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
Tlt was one of the 1st axles we stared using, The chassis is a toy. With out the parts in the axle they would break, Thats not going to make a newb want to go on with the hobbie. The chassis I have I could just make one like it, but it's already there. 30 dollars ,I think I could get the axle stuff for that,but the CVCs they're 50.00. I all ready have all this stuff in my drawer. So none of it would cost me a penny. ON THE CVCs I could buy them piece by peice and not go over the 30.00.

If I make a chassis do I have to have it so that everyone else can get one too.
I would say that a TLT axle would not be a good choice to begin with if they break that easily. I doubt that we're going to see a sudden flood of TLT axled rigs anyway.

If you make a chassis, you don't really have to mass produce them, but if someone comes up and questions it, they'll have to put thier money where their mouth is, and you need to be prepared to sell it to them for $30. Same goes for all custom parts. That'll keep anyone that has machine shop capabilities at home from building what would otherwise be high dollar parts for themselves, even though the materials only cost them a few dollars. You could still build one from cutting board, flat aluminum, or even delrin and come in way under budget.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote