Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A Class Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
I agree with you completely on this,,this would do several things at once,,get the lesser experienced drivers a class of their own and let each of them grow and compete with each other and teach each other and learn to judge and make decisions for the club
agree
Creepy Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ View Post
You have to consider most vendors/sponsors here are working class also. Every $ helps, if some of the drivers on here were paid based on their driving skills most could quit work period. Crawling is not as main stream as other forms of RC.

YET
agree
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You have to consider most vendors/sponsors here are working class also. Every $ helps, if some of the drivers on here were paid based on their driving skills most could quit work period. Crawling is not as main stream as other forms of RC.

YET

AMEN brother
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdesignworks View Post
RIGHT ON,,,NOW WE ARE MAKING SOME CONVERSATOIN.....i agree a non-sponsored driver can go to like the nationals and compete,,however on the same point he can do so if he has the right set up,,but following your point Joe and Jason's,,the contender has to have comp level equipment,,Axial's are great out of the box just like BULLY 2's but,,you cant compete,,box stock against built...unless that box stock is comp level already,,now i think everyone will agree,,that for the most part,,nationals comp level and local comp level or not level
It all goes back to the builder buying the right parts and knowing how to use them.
For a out of the box rig the LCC is very cometitive.
A Nationals comp rig can be built for not allot of money just some choose to spend more than others.Look at Scuzzy's 08 rig I think he took 2nd with a set of TLT axles and a 10 dollar torsion chassis
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

YET

Very True

Look at my Chassis sponsor he works a day job and cuts chassis in his basement.He helps as much as he can but its not like he could pay for me to be at a event.
One of the best sponsors I have is TCS. Kevin is a great guy.He seems to do very well with the store but not in a million years would I ask for more than he helps me with now.I do not look at sponsors as a way to get free stuff.I look at it more as they like and trust me enough to represent there company.I take great pride in that part alone.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbruiser View Post
It all goes back to the builder buying the right parts and knowing how to use them.
True, probably everyone on this site has a "tried and trashed box"
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
For a out of the box rig the LCC is very cometitive.
A Nationals comp rig can be built for not allot of money just some choose to spend more than others.Look at Scuzzy's 08 rig I think he took 2nd with a set of TLT axles and a 10 dollar torsion chassis
i do agree completely that competition is more about the level of the driver then the level of the rig,,my tuber is TLT based and my TVP is BULLY based and i have been driving the moa for so long i have to teach myself to drive the shafty again..

I always refer to the very beginnings of just about all types of comp auto sports,,like nascar,,,moonshiners runnin stock vehicles on a beach,,,an edsel against four fords a dodge and five chevys,,,,the only guy who knows who will truely win is the flagger when the winner drives under him and the guy who techs the vehicles after,,there are a ton of factors that go into being competitive,,,driver skill,,luck,,,lotsa luck usually,,,a good base rig with good set up...and a little karma on your side never hurt either

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 11-01-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I look at it more as they like and trust me enough to represent there company.I take great pride in that part alone.

X2

If your club doesnt not have that many classes, then run a shafty only class. But at LRC, were running 2.2's 1.9's, scalers and Supers are trying to come back. I agree it would be a good thing, IF it was kept "no dig". No dig is the only way to keep it simple. If you have dig, its not a beginners class to me. You also would not be able to run the bergs in that class. Even without a dig, they have stall. I use it all the time to my advantage.

On the sponsorship part, it definately helps, but most of us were doing well in comps before we got them, its ONE of the ways to get a sponsorship. I have been in this in and out since 05, I just now started getting my big sponsorships over the last year. It takes a lot of work, time and practice. You also have to be a "Good guy" on the forums and help when you can.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

I don't understand why Creepy is so hung up on sponsors. I'm sure that there are several good drivers who are unsponsored.

But back to the topic...If you are worried about driving against "Pros" in a Sportsman class, do what Tri-State Crawlers is doing. They modified the rules for their Sportsman class....if you are an "experienced" crawler you are limited to a 2s Lipo, or a 6 or 7 cell battery. A "novice" can use any battery. An "experienced" crawler is limited to M2 Moabs, M2 Mashers, or a stock Axial Rock Lizard. A "novice" can run a tire of his choice. Twisted Creations and his guys are doing this to level the playing field so that Tom Newbie doesn't take his Axial RTC and compete against guys with high dollar trucks. If Tom Newbie can run whatever he wants against Joe with a restricted truck, then who has the advantage equipment wise? If he gets beat by Joe, then it is because of Joe, not Joe's truck.

Joebruiser I hope you don't mind me using you as an example. I just referenced you because you are participating in this discussion.
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnalley View Post
I don't understand why Creepy is so hung up on sponsors. I'm sure that there are several good drivers who are unsponsored.

But back to the topic...If you are worried about driving against "Pros" in a Sportsman class, do what Tri-State Crawlers is doing. They modified the rules for their Sportsman class....if you are an "experienced" crawler you are limited to a 2s Lipo, or a 6 or 7 cell battery. A "novice" can use any battery. An "experienced" crawler is limited to M2 Moabs, M2 Mashers, or a stock Axial Rock Lizard. A "novice" can run a tire of his choice. Twisted Creations and his guys are doing this to level the playing field so that Tom Newbie doesn't take his Axial RTC and compete against guys with high dollar trucks. If Tom Newbie can run whatever he wants against Joe with a restricted truck, then who has the advantage equipment wise? If he gets beat by Joe, then it is because of Joe, not Joe's truck.

Joebruiser I hope you don't mind me using you as an example. I just referenced you because you are participating in this discussion.
I am not hung up on sponsors but you cannot tell they do not give someone an advantage otherwise why have them. That is not why I started this thread it was to ask a simple question, Why not have a stepping stone to the pro class for new guys. All that I am saying is I have not seen a shafty do that well in a comp, and looking at how far moa technology his growing it is just gonna get further and further ahead. Not saying that with right driver a shafty can't do well it can. I just think the moa's have more of a chance. This really had nothing to do with sponsors or pro or whatever. JMHO
Old 11-02-2009, 05:45 AM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
Very True

Look at my Chassis sponsor he works a day job and cuts chassis in his basement.He helps as much as he can but its not like he could pay for me to be at a event.
One of the best sponsors I have is TCS. Kevin is a great guy.He seems to do very well with the store but not in a million years would I ask for more than he helps me with now.I do not look at sponsors as a way to get free stuff.I look at it more as they like and trust me enough to represent there company.I take great pride in that part alone.
Very well put Joe!
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Stepping stones are just another thing to trip over

I have been competing for just over one year. I was fortunate enough to compete with ETRC for their whole series last season. Often, some of the Alabama and Georgia guys would compete with us too, so every comp, I had to run in the same class against THE best drivers in the country.

I would not have wanted it any other way. This is a "sport" where you can run against the best, and gauge your performance against theirs. (And then get tips from them on how to improve). You may not ever win, but if you ever do...it's that much sweeter.

It still comes down to the driver. And in my opinion this is still a driver's (and builders) sport.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:27 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

I had a thought overnight.

Instead of starting a new class to keep from running with the "Pros" why not just run like normal with everyone else and then the group that does not want to run with the "Pros" take there scores and see who won out of that group.It makes it where it does not take anymore time this way and there does not have to be anymore judges,courses Etc........

I know you see people talking about having the first place "Shafty" after comps all the time.

On another note you have people like Harvo that try there asses off.He is at almost every comp and do not take this the wrong way Harvo but still is not there yet and I stress yet.He keeps on pushing forward and at some point he stands a chance to be on top.Just like in heads up drag racing the fastest car of the day does not always win .Harvo beat me at a event last year and I believe it is having the chance to do so again is part of what keeps him going.He does not want to be part of a lesser class he wants to be in there scraping it out with the big dogs.
Hell I am from a very Equine related area.We have a cutting show every year that draws from around the country and usually last about 2 weeks.People pull in there with 100,000 dollar trailers and are pulling them with trucks that cost that much or more.I am talking there trailers are nicer and better furnished that my house.But a few years ago a guy pulled in with a old 1 horse trailer pulled by a rusted out El Camino and cleaned there clocks and went home with about 50 grand or something.You did not here him going I can not compete with all that money he did what he had to do and that was that.

Last edited by joesbruiser; 11-02-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I had a thought overnight.

Instead of starting a new class to keep from running with the "Pros" why not just run like normal with everyone else and then the group that does not want to run with the "Pros" take there scores and see who won out of that group.It makes it where it does not take anymore time this way and there does not have to be anymore judges,courses Etc........

I know you see people talking about having the first place "Shafty" after comps all the time.

On another note you have people like Harvo that try there asses off.He is at almost every comp and do not take this the wrong way Harvo but still is not there yet and I stress yet.He keeps on pushing forward and at some point he stands a chance to be on top.Just like in heads up drag racing the fastest car of the day does not always win .Harvo beat me at a event last year and I believe it is having the chance to do so again is part of what keeps him going.He does not want to be part of a lesser class he wants to be in there scraping it out with the big dogs.
Hell I am from a very Equine related area.We have a cutting show every year that draws from around the country and usually last about 2 weeks.People pull in there with 100,000 dollar trailers and are pulling them with trucks that cost that much or more.I am talking there trailers are nicer and better furnished that my house.But a few years ago a guy pulled in with a old 1 horse trailer pulled by a rusted out El Camino and cleaned there clocks and went home with about 50 grand or something.You did not here him going I can not compete with all that money he did what he had to do and that was that.
This is the kinda of thing we do and it works fine. Look there are some guys that just want to crawl as a hobby not be very best in the world just have fun. I think a lot of you think that I am saying this just for me. That is not the case. I am saying to get people interested and grow the sport. Just to prove a point how many guys that have already posted drive a moa? How many drive a shafty?

Last edited by Creepy Crawler; 11-02-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Crawler View Post
This is the kinda of thing we do and it works fine. Look there are some guys that just want to crawl as a hobby not be very best in the world just have fun. I think a lot of you think that I am saying this just for me. That is not the case. I am saying to get people interested and grow the sport. Just to prove a point how many guys that have already posted drive moa vs. shafty?
So why would this not work?

Instead of starting a new class to keep from running with the "Pros" why not just run like normal with everyone else and then the group that does not want to run with the "Pros" take there scores and see who won out of that group.It makes it where it does not take anymore time this way and there does not have to be anymore judges,courses Etc........???????

It cuts down on allot of work in my eyes.If you do not have a goal of going to big comps like nationals ETC...then you do not need a specific class organized just for shaft trucks with digs.

As for truck I run both MOA and shafted and have access to a MOA Losi .

If you really want to compete in a simple rig driver based class 1.9 is it.IMHO
Old 11-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

i drive moa now and im building a shafty,,tlt axles,rc10 tranny
Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Crawler View Post
All that I am saying is I have not seen a shafty do that well in a comp, and looking at how far moa technology his growing it is just gonna get further and further ahead. Not saying that with right driver a shafty can't do well it can. I just think the moa's have more of a chance.

Shaft trucks can be as competitive as a MOA. A few weeks ago I placed 4th at a comp that had 39 drivers. I was beat by Redbaron, Joebruiser, and Twisted Creations. They were all driving MOA, but did I get beat by them or their truck? If you do a little research on their names, you'll figure out the answer. So that day 3 Bergs placed higher than me, BUT how many MOAs placed lower than my shafty. If you think that MOA is such an advantage, then sell your shafty and build a MOA.
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So why would this not work?

Instead of starting a new class to keep from running with the "Pros" why not just run like normal with everyone else and then the group that does not want to run with the "Pros" take there scores and see who won out of that group.It makes it where it does not take anymore time this way and there does not have to be anymore judges,courses Etc........???????

It cuts down on allot of work in my eyes.If you do not have a goal of going to big comps like nationals ETC...then you do not need a specific class organized just for shaft trucks with digs.

As for truck I run both MOA and shafted and have access to a MOA Losi .

If you really want to compete in a simple rig driver based class 1.9 is it.IMHO
I am agreeing with you it will work. I said in my first sentence of my post That is what we are doing and it works fine.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnalley View Post
Shaft trucks can be as competitive as a MOA. A few weeks ago I placed 4th at a comp that had 39 drivers. I was beat by Redbaron, Joebruiser, and Twisted Creations. They were all driving MOA, but did I get beat by them or their truck? If you do a little research on their names, you'll figure out the answer. So that day 3 Bergs placed higher than me, BUT how many MOAs placed lower than my shafty. If you think that MOA is such an advantage, then sell your shafty and build a MOA.
Why should I have to sell my shafty to buy a MOA? If a shafty is just as good as a MOA then why do most of the top guys not drive shafty? I am just saying for guys to learn to drive. Kinda like playing baseball start at T-ball learn to play and then move up don't start in MLB. I still love all you guys
Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 AM   #60
RCC Addict

sddill is offline   Reply With Quote