see I'd have a team.....

but first I need me a crawler
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolferlee View Post
This whole thread is worthless and all it does is drum up drama and make people pissed. It should be removed from here by moderators
Im sorry that you feel this way, as this thread is not directed to drum up drama. Though some feel very pasoinite about some things. This thread is fully directed toward how and what Teams can do to be more helpful or inviting to newcombers to be comfortable enough to come up and ask questions ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
I don't like seeing 5-10 guys wearing the same team shirts crowding a course telling the driver exactly where to put his tires at every gate. I've seen this at every big comp I've been to, and its bullshit.
While ive seen this alot, when I run I instruct my spotter to make sure I know where my time isand where the next gate is. I know for me its different then what alot of people use spotters for as most of the time I have judged all day and then power through my courses alot of time with nothing more than a glance. Some times I will here my spotters saying "NO, not that line, but I like my lines better alot of the time just because of how I drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
I dont get to attend any of the big comps, but I do check out a lot of videos and it has become a big issue. I couldnt agree more. The "appointed" spotter rule needs to be enforced.

I could not agree more. Im pretty sure though that most of the "Spotters" arent acttually spotters as they are not on course and are simply standing around as spectators outside of the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
I do find it a little lame how everyone and their mother has team something-r-other in their signature. The "Team Asshole" thing is especially classy.

I know that I wouldnt want any of my drivers with the above mentioned sig.

I appreciate all of you that are taking the time to post up constructive points. I hope that every newb that takes the time to read through these threads is able to get something from them. From this thread the one thing that I would hope they get is that the majority of us on a team believe in our sponsors products and wouldnt run or promote them if they didnt work. Most of us (when we arent working at the events) are always more then receptive to questions or helping with setups to make a competitors day that much more enjoyable. Please remember while alot of us love to crawl, we may just be a competitor at heart and enjoy the competition as much or more then the driving itself. As a competitor though I dont want to win at a comp because I have knowledge or the ability to build something that no one else can obtain.

The teams that I run with are always available to share info and or ability.
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #43
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Wow, seems like some areas have drama I have yet to see locally. Glad I haven't because I wouldn't participate.

I don't care about people standing all around as long as it's not in the middle of the way. I also don't care about spotters because you can listen or not.

I do this for fun, don't care if I finish first or last. Don't care if my truck breaks when I am doing well. Just want to relax and enjoy. If the local scene around me started getting all hardcore I would just play somewhere else. Luckily it isn't. Some guys take it more seriously than others and for their own reasons, however, I have yet to see how it interferes with anyone else.

Good luck to all of you facing these issues.

I figure that in the end if you suck at driving no number of people telling you what to do will help.
I'm like minded

Out of town,I find I want to try to spend time with people I like,who I dont get to see often.I enjoy watching them run,not really to see a line,but to take part in the excitment of thier run.
I also have noticed myself that some of the guys I know,I cant comp with all the time at big events.The energy level/vibe isnt a good match always,maybe they are very serious,and I'm to laid back,or vice versa.
I have also seen many a time where a spoter hurts a driver,just cuz they made the line easily,doesnt mean the next guys will,even with nearly identical trucks.

I myslef like a spoter,more than anything just to keep me calm,I find my nerves are my worst enemy,and a friend taling to me keeps me settled.

In short,I think teams are good overall for crawling,cuz it brings another
level of comoroderie.Though I can see how some would consider them clicks of a sort.
But I have always had everyone for the most part be more than willing to help with anything they can,from advice,to spoting,to parts on the spot.Team drivers included

Last edited by rock hard; 03-05-2011 at 12:37 AM.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:03 AM   #44
RCC Addict

If the team is representing the product well, cool I like them. If they go running around gong "your rig is trash since your not running ACME Beadlocks" then that's not right. I like the attitude of "if your going to give me a bad name, then your out." Last thing we need is that one bad apple that spoils the whole bunch

Spotters: They can say all they want but in the end, its your decision to take their advice or not. It is your decision to to take their advice or to go with your gut. Sometimes they can see a line that you can't and vice versa but sometimes info can get lost in translation and good ideas get lost and it turns into total confusion [yes its happened a lot crawling with friends ]

In the end it all boils down to having fun, when the fun goes it isn't a hobby any more.
Crawling Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
When it really boils down to it, a team is for product development. Secondary is product promotion, but it should only occur when the time is right and the recommendation is genuine. These are the first two rules of my team. The third rule is that they can run whatever brand or type of products that they want, as long as they still help with the primary objective. The last thing we need is bitch ass in-fighting because somebody can't handle seeing one of their "team" members running another brand. It isn't good for the sport, it isn't good for the team, and it certainly isn't good for a positive morale at events. It creates an "US vs THEM" mentality that has nothing but negative consequences. The day I regulate like that is the day I lose my integrity.

Interesting that you bring this up now. I have had some interesting conversations regarding teams lately, and how they are starting to cause tension in certain circles.
Interesting indeed...as I myself had a customer that wasn't allowed to use my product even after paying the design fee for my services.
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
Personally, I find the whole thing F'ng annoying... Watching some of these people "spot" each other during comps is over the top.

Why do you need a spotter for a truck that you are standing over?!

Maybe I just dont take this "sport" seriously enough.
LOL Right on. I've seen a few videos where a driver is being coached by someone on a course. "Slowy....slowly....ok John Doe front dig, front dig... There you go, beautiful!" or if driver is struggling, 'coach' makes sure he hears it, "nooooo, don't dig right there!!!!"
Serolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

it's simple there's a judge a driver and a course. get it done. spotting is for practice not comp time.
JOYSTICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

I'm new to this stuff and as of yet i have not had any issue with any team driver , if i had a question they were always willing to answer my questions and show me there set up and give advice. So i don't have any issues with teams now clicks thats a whole new ball game
Boids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOYSTICK View Post
it's simple there's a judge a driver and a course. get it done. spotting is for practice not comp time.
Why does it really matter though? How does it really harm anything? Just asking.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:

You got it..... Not that I am, but I believe that if you are a good driver, you dont need to watch everyone else run a course in order to do well on that course. Just run, have fun, and quit trying to cheat by watching everyone else. A team player is a stand up guy or gal who plays by the rules, and doesnt need to see what everyone else does in order to be on top. A team should help with truck setup, its up to the driver to put it to the ground.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Why does it really matter though? How does it really harm anything? Just asking.
It doesn't matter if JOYSTICK reads the rules it clearly mentions a spotter is allowed, but point caused by the Spotter (touching truck, or stepping on a gate) is still assessed to the Driver.

Obviously pick a spotter you trust.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #52
RCC Addict

I love being part of a group/team.

But I will also help people that I have never meet, and may never meet again.

The people that are against teams, either belong to a bad group or no group. The team work that started at Worlds (Donner), has added a level of togetherness with my peers that I have never experienced in any sport I have participated in.

About spotters; even if your spotter tells you exactly what to do, the driver still has to exicute it. Also, I have heard plenty of spotters give bad advice. Comunicating with a spotter is just a tool, if you do not use it properly, it will not help you.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Well I'm not part of a team and this is just my personal opinion but a spoter for a toy truck is rediculas
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Well I'm not part of a team and this is just my personal opinion but a spoter for a toy truck is rediculas
why?
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Well I guess having one would be ok of you really think you need one but at least when I drive it's just for fun and no one know how my truck runs as good as I do.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #56
dnf

Caddies have been giving advice to their players for decades,that doesnt mean the player isnt a good golfer.

Spotters help with insightfull advice and more for the driver,not alot different than a caddie and his golfer.

In golf, a caddy (or caddie) is the person who carries a player's bag and clubs, and gives insightful advice and moral support. A good caddy is aware of the challenges and obstacles of the golf course being played, along with the best strategy in playing it. This includes knowing overall yardage, pin placements and club selection.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
Caddies have been giving advice to their players for decades,that doesnt mean the player isnt a good golfer.

Spotters help with insightfull advice and more for the driver,not alot different than a caddie and his golfer.

In golf, a caddy (or caddie) is the person who carries a player's bag and clubs, and gives insightful advice and moral support. A good caddy is aware of the challenges and obstacles of the golf course being played, along with the best strategy in playing it. This includes knowing overall yardage, pin placements and club selection.

I have never thought of it this way. Though it really hits the nail on the head for my team. My caddies offer advise and sometimes I take it and sometimes I dont. Though the moral support is always very uplifting. I know its just toy trucks, though for me the competition is still competition and I will do everything legal to win
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:01 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

About teams... I have not often seen a team at a comp help anyone on course or in the pits except for the other people on the team. If I have ever had questions about a team's product, they usually answer though.

I don't really expect more than that from a product's driving team. They are there to do well too. They have better things to do than hold my hand.

More support at an event would be outstanding though... such as at some mountain bike races. If you are running a Rock-Shox fork (an example), and you need to work on it, you can go to their tent and use their tools and supplies to get fixed up. You might even get some advice from their mechanic. I would like to see chassis makers or major crawler parts suppliers provide that service That would be what I would consider GREAT support from vendors for major events.

About spotters... I have a couple of buddies I run with at comps. One of them spots for me and I for him. We usually keep our mouths shut, but having a spotter is critical when you have 10-14 gates to finish in 4-5 minutes, and they are spread all over. You really need someone showing you where the next gate is.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
About teams... I have not often seen a team at a comp help anyone on course or in the pits except for the other people on the team.
Then you really haven't been paying attention. The last comp I was at, I saw Jake and a few of the other Losi guys with a bag full of parts handing them out to customers who were having issues. This happens often with those guys and I am sure with other vendors as well...but they just dont make a big deal about it.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

OK, I've been reading this thread since it started. Interesting comments.

I have never been on a "team" for RC, but I have in other pursuits.

I have dealt with "teams" in RC, but mostly smaller events so I can't comment on Nationals or other big events.

The bit I've dealt with (12th & 10th pan cars many years ago, Traxxas offroad last year--factory guy was at one of our events--- and some of the local guys on GSRCRC) have been very helpful, knowledgable and fairly down to earth.
Maybe I've just lucked out, who knows.

In my mind:
1-I understand the "team members" are to develop parts/methods (setups) to help the manufacturer make saleable bits & pieces.
2-They also need to do well so the rest of us do the, "I saw it win on Sunday, I need to buy it on Monday!" even though it is only a minor reason these people are winning.
3-Support the sport that "helps pay the bills" of each team member. Whether this is a paycheck, free parts, travel/hotel, etc.

Like everything else, there is a whole range of types in a group from great to sucks. It is up to the company/sponsor/team manager to make sure all the members are following the "rules of a team member". If a member is a butthead, the company/sponsor/team manager needs to determine if the continued "employ" of the member is worth the damage they may cause to either the sport or the company image.

So, Im not against teams in RC crawling, but I think they need to keep an eye on their people & presentation since we all know "Good news travels slow & near, bad news travels fast & far". Obviously a few in this thread have seen the bad.

I'm glad the team members in my club are as good as they are.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote