Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Public perception of Teams.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Public perception of Teams.

Just wanting to see what the public perception of "Teams" is. Ive heard statements to all directions and wanted to see what peoples thoughts are.
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

depends on the person, Some teams are reputable and the people are people who can be depended on to answer questions and have answers worth listening to, others are people who let their buddy promote their name and get some junk for free but the people aren't worth a damn when it comes to their usefulness.
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I think "TEAMS" are pointless and meaningless.
CrawlinClodKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I do find it a little lame how everyone and their mother has team something-r-other in their signature. The "Team Asshole" thing is especially classy.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think teams have there negatives as well as there positives. I think the positives are like when a group of friends go and compete as a team for the fun of it mostly out of friendship and shared love of the hobby. A group that happens to get together and bash/compete together for a good time. I think some of the negatives are some of these people who think they are better than others because they are part of such and such a team. I also think that its pretty stupid when people take it to seriously and lose track of what the real point is behind the hobby and the point of a "team".
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Depends on the person/team mostly, but in general I don't particularly take the opinion of a 'team driver' on the product their team produces as strongly as in user that is independent of the team. I have nothing against team drivers, without them I am sure a lot of products would never have seem development, however part of being a team driver is essentially advertisement, so they will always be somewhat biased in their recommendations, but hey I do it myself so I can't be to judgmental

Cheers
Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm a Team Jacob fan myself....oh wait a min
CronusTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:12 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
I do find it a little lame how everyone and their mother has team something-r-other in their signature. The "Team Asshole" thing is especially classy.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Personally, I find the whole thing F'ng annoying... Watching some of these people "spot" each other during comps is over the top.

Why do you need a spotter for a truck that you are standing over?!

Maybe I just dont take this "sport" seriously enough.
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I have no issue with the idea, but some teams are over the top.

Driver + Spotter is fine. But I've seen Driver + 5-6 spotters. Hell I even seen more than once a large team's spotter hit by a truck and the judges didn't call a touch penalty. Could it be the judges afraid of making the Team mad? Could it be they were on that Team?

Teams will always have pros and cons based on their individual members, actions, and team actions.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

When it really boils down to it, a team is for product development. Secondary is product promotion, but it should only occur when the time is right and the recommendation is genuine. These are the first two rules of my team. The third rule is that they can run whatever brand or type of products that they want, as long as they still help with the primary objective. The last thing we need is bitch ass in-fighting because somebody can't handle seeing one of their "team" members running another brand. It isn't good for the sport, it isn't good for the team, and it certainly isn't good for a positive morale at events. It creates an "US vs THEM" mentality that has nothing but negative consequences. The day I regulate like that is the day I lose my integrity.

Interesting that you bring this up now. I have had some interesting conversations regarding teams lately, and how they are starting to cause tension in certain circles.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I dont have any issues with guys wanting to support the vendors/manufacturers that sponsor them by showing it in their sig line. My issue comes up when that driver shows up in here and makes a complete and total a$$ out of himself either by flaming someone or just being a complete douche bag. I was in the Electronics section the other day and a poster asked if anyone was having issues with a specific product. I asked a few simple questions to get some more info because it was really needed. The response that came back was crappy and even stated "o and i'm no rookie". If I was this guy's sponsor or he had my company's name in his sig line it wouldn't be there much longer. I think the vendors/team managers need to check up on the image their drivers are conveying on the forum. This forum IS their largest source of advertising and to have a team member be an a$$ makes me as a consumer want to take my business elsewhere. I don't want to help this guy get his parts at a discount or for free any more.

On as side note, CronusTRD, you need help...
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:46 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Hor some teams are when one puts a few cars together and gets a group of people together and crawl for the fun of the sport are we top notch crawlers by nomeansbut first you must have fun to make aa team that can helpeach other out for me i am dis abbled and need my friends other wise i cant do much without them.We are more of a club then a team and with the right people and the right ideas you cab make a good thing better.They must be a stand up guy and be willing to help others regardless good or bad and be willing to work together .

Last edited by kasper; 03-04-2011 at 06:51 AM.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Go back and re read that thread killswitch, I think your recollection may be off a bit. Twasn't no team member giving sass. Unless I am thinking of the wrong thread.... Lol!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I did before I posted just to see if maybe it was my mood that day and I still thought his response was kinda crappy. I saw the gold star and such before I posted my response (I didnt think I called him a rookie...) but his response is not what I would expect from a "team" driver. I was a club level sponsored carpet racer for a few years and the biggest thing for the companies I was sponsored by was "ALWAYS be professional."

Last edited by killswitch; 03-04-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
When it really boils down to it, a team is for product development. Secondary is product promotion, but it should only occur when the time is right and the recommendation is genuine.
Agreed. I dont really prefer to have a spotter when I am driving (never really listen to what folks are saying while I am trying to concentrate). So, for me, what you mentioned is exactly what a team is for. Sharing ideas with the vendor (in both directions), and helping promote the product when it is applicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
I think the vendors/team managers need to check up on the image their drivers are conveying on the forum. This forum IS their largest source of advertising and to have a team member be an a$$ makes me as a consumer want to take my business elsewhere.
I agree with you 100% on this one. While there are certain sections of this forum (chit chat) where being an ass is acceptable, I think in the other sections, you should represent that vendor well. I've even mentioned this to some vendors privately, but was blown off.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Cant agree more on the chit chat Jeremy. It belongs there. Everyone in there knows it may be coming at them if they stick their foot in their mouth and everything in chit chat is fair game. But tech should not be like that.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Hell I even seen more than once a large team's spotter hit by a truck and the judges didn't call a touch penalty. Could it be the judges afraid of making the Team mad? Could it be they were on that Team
I know this isn't the main topic here...but this call is correct on the judges part. A touch is only called if it contacts the driver...according to the USRCCA rules.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #19
Custom Carbon Fiber

I have to agree with Slobin, the character of the people on the Team really determine the character of the Team.

In the racing world I saw a lot of hired guns, youd see them decked out one season with 'Team' gear then the next season you see them wearing different swag. Those were the 'Team' guys I didnt care for but those are also the ones who make a living off RC.

A good team is one you can ask questions to and get non-biased answers. A good team is drivers who are willing to lend ideas and advice to others.

A good team driver is one who believes in the parts hes using and doesnt use the parts because they're free or discounted.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Right...but I took his comment about seeing multiple spotters and seeing one get hit...not that it was a designated spotter.

Edit...CRS's post disappeared...

Last edited by ittybitty; 03-04-2011 at 07:38 AM.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote