Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: wraith or scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #1

Default wraith or scx10

im looking into purchasing an axial product but i cant deside between the scx10 or the wraith i was hoping you guys could help me out with some oppinions
tourque splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Get the best get a Tyco.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: wraith or scx10

Everyone had their own opinion. What are you looking to do with it? That may help guide your decision.
PFC FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I bought a rtr Dingo when they came out and totally redid everything.
Dingo / Honcho = More scale (to me at least )
Wraith = Rock Racer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I assembled both from kits, so I feel like I have a good viewpoint on this.

The SCX is very durable stock, is slow, requires precise driving controls to extract it's fullest capability and is a great all around truck. I hammered the snot out of mine for about fifty packs before it required any real servicing. It's light weight and small tires are to thank for its durability. If finesse is your driving style, you'd like an SCX.

The Wraith is NOT very durable stock (I have over $300 in upgrades before I got through a single pack without breakage), typically faster, and it's large tires and wheelbase allow you to basically throttle through everything. I would definitely not recommend it to a beginner, as they'll be very frustrated at how often it's broken and how expensive it is to upgrade. If you tend to surmount obstacles with MORE THROTTLE then they Wraith would better suite your driving style, it just gets expensive to make the Wraith tolerate it.

Either way you go, get a Kit. The building process is very rewarding and when your done you'll know it was put together correctly, which is more than I can say about many RTR's these days. Plus the kits come with the little things, like stronger universal shafts in the Wraith, or metal lower links in both of them.

The Wraith may have more raw capability, but I still find myself enjoying the challenge of driving on small tires of the SCX.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
RCC Addict

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want the scale look or duplicate a rig, then the SCX-10 is the way to go. You can build the Wraith to go fast or crawl and there are other body choices too.

I wouldn't be scared off the Wraith about stories of having to spend tons of money just to get it usable. I haven't spent anywhere near $300.00 on mine and I have driven it 40 or so packs now. I just replace parts as the break.

I built both from kit and still can't tell which one is better.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #7

thanks guys i think im going to go ahead and get the scx10 it seems more my style and later on i will get the wraith
tourque splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I have a Dingo and a Wraith and they both have had upgrades I thought would make them worry free. Alum links, steering, stronger gears and better tires. So far that plan has been working. Nothing broken other than a front bumper on the Wraith.

The Dingo is my trail truck. Not really fast, but ideal for what I built it for. The Wraith is my crawler and all-round truck. Goes fast (relatively) or slow. It basically goes anywhere, but is a lot wider, longer and heavier than the Dingo. I personally prefer the Dingo over the Wraith for trailing. Strictly my opinion.

So, the OP needs to decide what type of use the truck will be aimed at. If it's crawling and trailing, the SCX10 will work great. If there will be bashing as well, the Wraith would likely be the better choice due to it's better stability.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote

wraith or scx10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Axled Wraith Speedmutant 1.5 Scale Rigs 7 06-07-2012 10:38 AM
Scx10 x2 Wraith x2 nitrooxide Videos! 0 05-04-2012 10:16 AM
wraith kit vs scx10 kmas Axial Wraith 14 03-08-2012 08:27 AM
wraith or scx10 kingcbell Newbie General 14 01-31-2012 11:14 PM
Wraith axles on scx10? Help rilynsdad Chit Chat 2 09-08-2011 08:28 PM