Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What is the future of the USRCCA Super Class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #41
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Default Re: What is the future of the USRCCA Super Class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I also think people don't want to put the practice in that it takes to learn to drive a super and drive it well. It is seriously like driving two trucks at the same time. It took me well over a year to become anywhere near proficient at driving my super.
Darn tootin' I always said drummers and helicopter pilots would make Super drivers.
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

Being involved in one of the regionals, super and 1.9 have hardly anyone signing up. The last 2 years, I don't think we had more than 5 people running either one. Maybe the new Vattera will give a resurgence on the 1.9 side, maybe not. As for the supers, they are such a niche that I don't see them having a come back. Even the popular 2.2 classes are losing popularity. I'm not sure what the answer is to revive comp crawling as a whole, but something has to happen. When Axial released the XR, it seemed to cause a boom in growth. I see (and in a lot of respects agree) a lot of complaints that any boxed kit would either be crap out of the box, or to expensive outright if made properly. However, to get new blood, they need something basic to build from. Some guy that decides they want to comp crawl, who has never touched an RC is never going to do it, because they have no clue how to, or what to start with. I know a lot of the original crawlers would be in the super class if ran now, but none of the supers I have ever seen (in the past 3 years) were anything like the original stuff. Once the majority settled on a 2.2 spec, supers began their die off, some newer people probably stepped up to super after seeing them, but I think most are happy in the 2.2 class.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Supers get no love, having to build the courses and judge yourselves while everyone else is gone is sad.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM   #44
TSK
Shelf queen

What if supers and sportsman ran both on Sunday. The pro courses from a Saturday can be kept for sportsman, but perhaps gate direction or order can be changed up to keep it "fresh". Mini's can be run on Friday as people trickle in,
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

The future of the class is what we make it.

I think a problem with the Super class is that everyone that posts about the class always implies that one NEEEEEDS to take a second mortgage out on their house in order to build the most sofisticated crawling machine man has ever seen in order to compete in the Super class. It's ridiculous. It's as if building a rig gradually and buying better parts as you can afford them is taboo these days. NOOO...you HAVE too spend $2500 RIGHT NOW or don't bother!

The only necessary additional parts needed for a super as compared to a 2.2pro is ONE additional servo (yes, I said ONE), and some extra tires. The tires aren't rocket science to make. Anyone that can use glue and scissors can make tires. Same goes for foams. Blast wheels are what?...$15 a pair?? WHOA!! That will get you in the game at least. Where it gets taken from there is up to the individual. keep it there and compete and have fun, or build it to the moon. Either way, more supers will exist and The best class is crawling will survive.

TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Exactly Jimmy and the ones blowing the cost or required handmade parts out of proportion usually don't know what they are talking about.

Super bullies or the MT axles are very affordable as well as blast wheels and the classifieds are full of perfectly good used 2.2 tires to cut up.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

And you really don't have to have 4ws (to be a contender yes, but to participate and have a good time no) I still can't effectively use it.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #48
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
If your theory were correct on more places to drive and easy to carry, why not a micro or a 1.9? Shoot, a micro you dont even have to leave the house!
There are enough places for people to drive 2.2's... There's endless amount of different ways to build a 2.2 truck and there is a point where trucks get too small for people... plus the lines the 2.2's can pull vs micros or 1.9's is pretty sick

I'd love to build a super but I can't justify the cost of them and there aren't too many places for me to drive one...
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:17 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettY View Post
There are enough places for people to drive 2.2's... There's endless amount of different ways to build a 2.2 truck and there is a point where trucks get too small for people... plus the lines the 2.2's can pull vs micros or 1.9's is pretty sick
I thought you were a big 1.9 fan?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
What if supers and sportsman ran both on Sunday. The pro courses from a Saturday can be kept for sportsman, but perhaps gate direction or order can be changed up to keep it "fresh". Mini's can be run on Friday as people trickle in,
We usually run 1.9 and 2.2Pro Saturday, 2.2s and Super Sunday. As for them judging themselves, we have enough issues getting judges to do the 2.2 classes, even with a pretty sweet Judges package last year (free lunch, free ticket, entry in judges only raffle).

I don't think the cost is the factor for not going Super, at least not for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I think a lot of people just have no interest in it. I think they are cool, but I have no want to build one.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #51
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
I thought you were a big 1.9 fan?
I do love the 1.9's but what I'm saying is the lines a 2.2 can pull are way crazier than the 1.9's...
Old 03-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I do love the 1.9's but what I'm saying is the lines a 2.2 can pull are way crazier than the 1.9's...
And the lines a super can pull are way crazier than 2.2's.

Rig vs the sickness of pulled line is relative to the size of the rig.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #53
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
And the lines a super can pull are way crazier than 2.2's.

Rig vs the sickness of pulled line is relative to the size of the rig.
Yeah true but like I'd said the supers cost soo much more...
Old 03-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah true but like I'd said the supers cost soo much more...
Like I said, they do NOT, that's a false stereotype.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
The future of the class is what we make it.

I think a problem with the Super class is that everyone that posts about the class always implies that one NEEEEEDS to take a second mortgage out on their house in order to build the most sofisticated crawling machine man has ever seen in order to compete in the Super class. It's ridiculous. It's as if building a rig gradually and buying better parts as you can afford them is taboo these days. NOOO...you HAVE too spend $2500 RIGHT NOW or don't bother!

The only necessary additional parts needed for a super as compared to a 2.2pro is ONE additional servo (yes, I said ONE), and some extra tires. The tires aren't rocket science to make. Anyone that can use glue and scissors can make tires. Same goes for foams. Blast wheels are what?...$15 a pair?? WHOA!! That will get you in the game at least. Where it gets taken from there is up to the individual. keep it there and compete and have fun, or build it to the moon. Either way, more supers will exist and The best class is crawling will survive.

Quote:
Exactly Jimmy and the ones blowing the cost or required handmade parts out of proportion usually don't know what they are talking about.

Super bullies or the MT axles are very affordable as well as blast wheels and the classifieds are full of perfectly good used 2.2 tires to cut up.
That is exactly what I was saying in my initial comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Eddie,
Its great to throw this out there...I started in this hobby with a Benderized TXT back in 2005...I have to disagree with your comment above....even though it can be a builders class...a newbie could put together a pretty competitive rig with off the shelf items (Super Bully Axles, any of the chassis from our great vendors)...after that the other items are the same as 2.2 (motors, ESC, shocks, links, radio, wheels/tires, etc)
My Turbo Charged Bully was a sick rig and I can promise you that I am not a "builder" nor did I spend a fortune.

I think the most expensive thing was the 4PKs.

This is what I had in mine...

• RC4wd Super Bully Light Weight Axle with 65:1 Gearbox
  • TurboTech Super Chassis Kit
  • TurboTech Bully Steering Kit
  • Dual Tekin FX-R ESC
  • Integy V-11 45T Motors
  • Castle BEC
  • ProLine Tech 5 Wheels (Narrowed to 2" wide)
  • 7.25" Trenched Sedona Tires
  • Crawler InNOVAtions 7.25"T x 2.25"W Super Nova Dual Stage Foam Set
  • Thunderpower G6 65C 3S 1300mah Lipo Batteries
  • Lundsford Ti Upper Links
  • Futaba 4PKS
  • Futaba R614FF 4 Channel RX

And this thing was insane...even though I couldn't drive it. I remember someone doing this...

Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Is that at BG?
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is that at BG?
Yeap...I miss that rig...
Old 03-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We appreciate you sending it down here.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Build another!
Old 03-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Build another!
I would love to...but...

What is the future of the USRCCA Super Class? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USRCCA Class 1 - Super Class - Cut N Shut Tire Catalog Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 32 01-29-2023 05:10 AM
The future of the super crawler class? Sinastir General Crawlers 83 05-23-2008 05:37 AM
Future of USRCCA? rockwerks RC Rock Crawling Worlds 28 11-23-2006 12:28 PM
The future of the Super class? Gimbal Chit Chat 12 11-07-2005 08:53 AM