Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: SDS super 300hd bush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #81
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: SDS super 300hd bush

colgout will be receiving a free set for his donation of goods for this. Thanks for loaning the parts to compare against my new sets!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

Thanks John. I am just happy that everyone can use their super300hd again....

I emailed you the return address, can't wait for this awesome part. Thanks again for taking this up.

Last edited by Colgout; 12-24-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

JRH, now you just need to start making the entire assembly for those of us that want them now.

Wes
WesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
Thanks John. I am just happy that everyone can use their super300hd again....

I emailed you the return address, can't wait for this awesome part. Thanks again for taking this up.

Great, I'll get them out Friday for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTX View Post
JRH, now you just need to start making the entire assembly for those of us that want them now.

Wes
I discussed it with John (SDS / Superdave) and I'll be taking over the design and name! My machine will make them, but I'll have to be clever. If they sell well I will invest in a sliding headstock lathe to specialize better in driveshafts, instead of getting a vertical mill as our next machine. I have a true cvd design but need more experience as a machinist to pull it off. Evidently John had a very similar design on the table as well, we will be discussing the issues further this weekend. He also stated similar issues finding a suitable leaded bronze, among other materials I think we could use with some improvements to the assembly.

I figure that we should make unis and straight shafts for berg, xr, wraith, and scx10 lengths. With some extra blanks we could offer custom lengths. With a gear cutter we would have ya covered from motor controller through hexes on driveline!
Old 12-25-2014, 01:19 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Awesome can't wait. Some exciting and busy times ahead for everyone and especially you john.
pajey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #86
Rock Crawler

That's awesome JRH. Super pumped. Once I snap my set of Axial Uni's Hopefully you'll have these out!

Thanks for the great support for this hobby we all spend way too much money on.

Wes
WesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:24 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Great news about the NEW super 300 universal joints. I will need a set for my wraith. I need to save up some money.
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Here you are folks, before christmas

Holmes Hobbies LLC

The material used is a half hard 360 brass with 45kpsi yeild, 3x harder than plain brass. Since these bushings are being used in an environment without lubrication it is important to have lead in the material for self lubricating properties, which will prevent galling and wear on the steel parts. I'm sure JeepinDoug's bronze bushings will also work well, I will be interested to see reports of how the steel fairs against 510 in this application.

I will keep these in stock at all times, we will be creating a new Drivetrain category for the website this weekend.
Sorry John, I didn't mean to step on your feet here. Someone told me you going to make these, so I looked but couldn't find anything.....until right now. You know how it goes when rumors fly about someone making something and months go by. I just had the time and machine open.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:10 PM   #89

No worries man, they are made and we will have them in stock. I guess I'll make a sale thread so people see we have them.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #90
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Great, I'll get them out Friday for you!
Got them today, thank you very much.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #91
RCC Addict

"I discussed it with John (SDS / Superdave) and I'll be taking over the design and name! My machine will make them, but I'll have to be clever. If they sell well I will invest in a sliding headstock lathe to specialize better in driveshafts, instead of getting a vertical mill as our next machine. I have a true cvd design but need more experience as a machinist to pull it off. Evidently John had a very similar design on the table as well, we will be discussing the issues further this weekend. He also stated similar issues finding a suitable leaded bronze, among other materials I think we could use with some improvements to the assembly."

Any new news on these?
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #92

Its a big project, the parts are not easy to make on my machine. In three weeks I will have an opening for prototype work, but it's a long row to hoe and probably won't be sorted before I have to get back to regular production.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:30 PM   #93
RCC Addict

Anyone try to get a quote from a CNC swiss screw machine shop?
The demand would never warrant the need to buy a CNC swiss but a job shop could get a practical price for the consideration.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 AM   #94

I haven't yet, but have been looking around for a shop that isn't booked solid. That's the biggest problem, the good shops are booked! It's why I bought a production turning center for myself in the first place. I shoulda gotten a swiss lathe to start with, but it would have been a pretty steep learning curve compared to a turret machine.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #95

Hope you can get those shafts figured out soon! I'd want at least 2 sets. I'm tired of breaking other shafts.
Ttdd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

You should just bite the bullet now and purchase whatever machinery will allow you to efficiently produce shafts/U-joints. Guarantee you'd sell them as quick as you could make them. I'd be in for a few sets.

I would by pysched about some true CV style shafts, but I don't think they can be made strong enough and still fit inside "stock" c-hubs/knuckles and run a boot, which leads to developing better/larger c-hubs and knuckles, which then makes you want to just make larger 6mm stubs and bigger wheelbearings. And before you know it, your making custom housings with oversized pinion and carrier bearings. Or maybe I'm just dreaming.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

JRH, any updates on the 300s being made?

Also, will they fit all the standard lockers or is a new locker goin to be made specifically designed to fit the 300s?

Last edited by 84yoda; 05-29-2015 at 06:59 PM.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
You should just bite the bullet now and purchase whatever machinery will allow you to efficiently produce shafts/U-joints. Guarantee you'd sell them as quick as you could make them. I'd be in for a few sets.

I would by pysched about some true CV style shafts, but I don't think they can be made strong enough and still fit inside "stock" c-hubs/knuckles and run a boot, which leads to developing better/larger c-hubs and knuckles, which then makes you want to just make larger 6mm stubs and bigger wheelbearings. And before you know it, your making custom housings with oversized pinion and carrier bearings. Or maybe I'm just dreaming.

Look up 1808 axles by dlux.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #99

I'm not making drive axles in production volumes without a different machine or hiring out.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:35 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

Any update?
jthellfire911 is offline   Reply With Quote

SDS super 300hd bush - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SDS super 300hd bush Colgout Axial XR10 0 06-18-2014 12:56 AM
SDS Customz Super 300Hd product update SDS Customz EnRoute Berg 134 09-06-2013 09:39 PM
SDS Customz (Superdave) Super SDS Customz Superclass Crawlers 77 04-30-2012 11:10 PM