Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers
Loading

Notices

Thread: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 3,890
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
Are we on drugs here?
I'm not, unless you count Christmas cookie sugar high..


Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
You cannot pull the locker or gears out of this by just removing the cover. Ar60 is totally opposite. ..... you CAN pull gears from it with cover off.
What?? Are there 2 issues being conflated here?

You cannot get the gears out "just by removing " the diff cover on an AR60 ...you can't get the ring gear (or pinion) out with the axle tangs holding the locker in place - unless you guys know some magic trick that I don't. You have to pull the cover (and the bearing caps) and then remove the axles at the C's or lockouts...

This axle is the same way, as is my Ascender axle, and a bunch more. What's the difference??

(EDIT - it's not, Idiot warning...see below)

If you are referring to why it's a 3 piece axle, I have absolutely no idea. Easier casting I'd guess. You can pop the diff cover and the C hubs and get to the gears...upper link mount holds it together fine.

Last edited by OSRC; 12-23-2016 at 05:14 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2016, 01:34 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Nässjö
Posts: 241
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
Are we on drugs here?

You cannot pull the locker or gears out of this by just removing the cover. Ar60 is totally opposite. ..... you CAN pull gears from it with cover off.

Only plus I can see is that if you have those "no slop " style lockers you can tighten the screws...... but that's it. Not hard to mod and plug the case like we did years ago when grip fab and vp came out with those style lockers.

I still see zero point in making a axle housing 3 pc if really it act's like a 2 pc.

Also....... no one's really out just " checking out their gear's " randomly lol


No drugs here. And as thread owner said you can remove the gears by pulling the c hubs and axles out. Never said out in the field. Also it looks scale with the bolts on the cover. Casting that most likley would look bad.
You don't add anything to the thread so I'm wondering what you are even doing here.
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:43 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corruptifornia
Posts: 12,038
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I'm not, unless you count Christmas cookie sugar high..


What?? Are there 2 issues being conflated here?

You cannot get the gears out "just by removing " the diff cover on an AR60 ...you can't get the ring gear (or pinion) out with the axle tangs holding the locker in place - unless you guys know some magic trick that I don't. You have to pull the cover (and the bearing caps) and then remove the axles at the C's or lockouts...

This axle is the same way, as is my Ascender axle, and a bunch more. What's the difference??

If you are referring to why it's a 3 piece axle, I have absolutely no idea. Easier casting I'd guess. You can pop the diff cover and the C hubs and get to the gears...upper link mount holds it together fine. I was swapping in and out various gearsets while it was mounted on my deadbolt with no particular issues.
X2, great looking axles with the scaleness of removeable diff cover and as said prolly easier to cast. I guess I'm OCD, cause sometimes I just like to pull the cover and check my gears before they are ready to blow.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #24
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: truckee
Posts: 918
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
No drugs here. And as thread owner said you can remove the gears by pulling the c hubs and axles out. Never said out in the field. Also it looks scale with the bolts on the cover. Casting that most likley would look bad.
You don't add anything to the thread so I'm wondering what you are even doing here.
The case has to be opened to get the gears out just like a regular scx10 axle housing. Look at the pic of the axle, see how the bearings are retained?
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 3,196
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
The case has to be opened to get the gears out just like a regular scx10 axle housing. Look at the pic of the axle, see how the bearings are retained?
they were referring to the AR60 axles on gears coming out, the ones pictured are the XR width scx10 axles...
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:21 PM   #26
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: truckee
Posts: 918
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanon1965 View Post
they were referring to the AR60 axles on gears coming out, the ones pictured are the XR width scx10 axles...
Right. The guy I quoted seems to be under the impression that you can pull the gears in this axle the same as the ar60, which you can not.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 3,890
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
Right. The guy I quoted seems to be under the impression that you can pull the gears in this axle the same as the ar60, which you can not.
You are correct, maybe I (the guy) AM on drugs. I'm confusing my housings....

For the boom axle, you remove the diff cover, remove the C's, and the axle pops apart longitudinally.

The axles I took off are similar in design to the AR60. I am confusing myself!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #28
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Turn the mayflower around.. it will never work
Posts: 1,588
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

As for scaleness? I think not. It's a dif cover on an exact copy of a ax10 scx10 housing from 2005. Not much impressed with that. So with that said......... they only thing that cover allows you to do is "check out the gears" and allow the ability to use "no slop" lockers....... something I have already stated.



This picture illustrates that the bearing cap retainers are not removable making the ability for the "locker" and gear set to be removed without splitting the 2 halves non existant. I have already held these in my hands at the first release of them quite some time ago to see these "issues". The idea is a great copy of helios 3d printed version but his had removable bearing retainers and this was within the diff cover. I could also tell you the issues within the axle shafts but I'll let you figure that out on your own.
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #29
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Turn the mayflower around.. it will never work
Posts: 1,588
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Btw..... ar60 has removable bearing caps and housing is one piece
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: post falls
Posts: 369
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

I just wonder how well the pot metal housings will hold up.
idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Nässjö
Posts: 241
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokersWild View Post
As for scaleness? I think not. It's a dif cover on an exact copy of a ax10 scx10 housing from 2005. Not much impressed with that. So with that said......... they only thing that cover allows you to do is "check out the gears" and allow the ability to use "no slop" lockers....... something I have already stated.







This picture illustrates that the bearing cap retainers are not removable making the ability for the "locker" and gear set to be removed without splitting the 2 halves non existant. I have already held these in my hands at the first release of them quite some time ago to see these "issues". The idea is a great copy of helios 3d printed version but his had removable bearing retainers and this was within the diff cover. I could also tell you the issues within the axle shafts but I'll let you figure that out on your own.


I got my axle built. I had no issue at all building it. Neither have I found out what issue I should have with the axle shaft.
For those wondering I had boomracing od gears with axial locker, I only needed one shim and now it fit perfect.


Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corruptifornia
Posts: 12,038
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
I got my axle built. I had no issue at all building it. Neither have I found out what issue I should have with the axle shaft.
For those wondering I had boomracing od gears with axial locker, I only needed one shim and now it fit perfect.
Good to know, thanks for updating.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:23 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 3,890
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

First long run, 5000mh pack put though on some pretty rough terrain. No issues, still no slop, and cases looked great afterwards. My motor seems to have lost about 50% of its power though...This poor rig is in dire need of a rebuild. Well, all of it besides the front axle.

Oh, and the Proline dual stage foams worked incredible...great match for the FI's.

OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:35 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Corruptifornia
Posts: 12,038
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Thanks for the update!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 3,890
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Another great trail run. More power this time, and very grippy terrain.

Seem to be holding up well, though I'm getting a lot of play on one of the wheels. Bearing issue? Not sure, but I've got to tear it down and check it out.



FYI: The 1.9 wraith build these axles are on is here: 3/4 wraith
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 3,890
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Well, turns out I did indeed have a bearing problem. Well, more like an complete idiot problem..

This is why we can't have nice things!!


Turns out it's a lot more precise when a bearing is actually installed. Whoops! Found one, popped it in and all is well. Though the fact that it went on 2 long trail runs and didn't destroy the universal bodes well for durability.

On a side note, I noticed the axle was a bit floppy and realized I actually pulled the screws out the upper link mount...that's a new one. Added longer screws and locknuts and its solid again, but I'm thinking I need something beefier here at some point.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Nässjö
Posts: 241
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Well, turns out I did indeed have a bearing problem. Well, more like an complete idiot problem..

This is why we can't have nice things!!


Turns out it's a lot more precise when a bearing is actually installed. Whoops! Found one, popped it in and all is well. Though the fact that it went on 2 long trail runs and didn't destroy the universal bodes well for durability.

On a side note, I noticed the axle was a bit floppy and realized I actually pulled the screws out the upper link mount...that's a new one. Added longer screws and locknuts and its solid again, but I'm thinking I need something beefier here at some point.


Maby I am missing a bearing to lol
I have a lot of vobling going on on the left front tire. I thought I might be a bent axle but will have to tear it all down and look.


Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Nässjö
Posts: 241
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

I had a bent shaft. I managed to make it kinda straight but will buy a new set. Wonder if regular xr10 universals fit? AX30563 I can't find measurements on them though.


Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #39
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Fairfax County
Posts: 22
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaho View Post
I just wonder how well the pot metal housings will hold up.
I also question the quality and durability of pot metal mass produced products from Asia.

Not criticizing, I have plenty, but in many things you get what you pay for.

Having said all that they are tempting
tekin112000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:09 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Douglassville, PA
Posts: 3,890
Default Re: Boom Racing XR Axle Review

Mine have held up just fine so far. No issues at all. (well, that weren't self inflicted!)
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Boom Racing XR Axle Review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boom racing scx10 Steel Axle housing slimfire 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 05-13-2016 09:15 AM
Boom racing G2rebel Vaterra Twin Hammers 16 01-15-2016 04:10 PM
Boom racing jdsusername Axial RR10 Bomber 26 01-05-2016 12:08 PM
Boom Racing Vengeance General Crawlers 45 11-26-2015 05:22 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com