Notices

Thread: Coming soon Yikong crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2022, 02:45 PM   #61
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Coming soon Yikong crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP6666VR View Post
Four ? Ha ha .... that's amazing, YK4102 looks exactly like the YK4082 that i have, sure they use most of the same parts .... do you still have the stock tires ? My tires are 138 mm diameter is that the same as your YK4102 ?

i really like the bigger RC , guess my next one will be a 1/5 scale crawler, but nobody makes them yet

Yes i like the YiKongs also, this is our first RC because of that I guess a few things broke already , ouch

1. the 4WD servo stoped working
2. Receiver stoped working
3. Plastic steering arm spline striped
4. Bumper is loose beond repair
5. I filled the diff's &portals with grease
6. Striped the plastic motor mount holding screw

Ordered a lot of parts already , learning a lot from this forum and asking a lot of questions

Does the steering servo last forever or do i need to order a new one just in case ? Everything i order takes 4 to 8 week shipping time

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk

Yes four! I bought my first one as soon as they come out, then bought a few more when they popped up for sale for next to no money.
120mm tyres they come with in a strange 1.9/2.2 size, I’ve changed all mine now anyways.
I think some parts are shared, a lot are different though.
I haven’t really had any failures as such, one I bought had a dead rear locker servo, another had a stripped steer servo horn but they’re only cheap to replace anyway.
All mine are mostly stock, I have 2 with Hobbywing 1080 ESC’s and Holmes Hobbies 550 cans, 1 runs a Hobbywing Fusion 1800kv and the other a Hobbywing Axe 2400kv. Then all on aftermarket wheels/tyres, aside from that they’re largely standard apart from a few body mods.

My steer servos tend to be good so far, I do have a few 25kg metal geared ones waiting to swap in when the time comes though…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CoupeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2022, 03:40 PM   #62
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeUK View Post
Yes four! I bought my first one as soon as they come out, then bought a few more when they popped up for sale for next to no money.
120mm tyres they come with in a strange 1.9/2.2 size, I’ve changed all mine now anyways.
I think some parts are shared, a lot are different though.
I haven’t really had any failures as such, one I bought had a dead rear locker servo, another had a stripped steer servo horn but they’re only cheap to replace anyway.
All mine are mostly stock, I have 2 with Hobbywing 1080 ESC’s and Holmes Hobbies 550 cans, 1 runs a Hobbywing Fusion 1800kv and the other a Hobbywing Axe 2400kv. Then all on aftermarket wheels/tyres, aside from that they’re largely standard apart from a few body mods.

My steer servos tend to be good so far, I do have a few 25kg metal geared ones waiting to swap in when the time comes though…

Yes rear locker servo stoped working, i ordered rear & front also ... Seems the front locker servo does not fit the rear locker servo ? Or you did not try that ? I couldn't make it to work ...

Hobbywing 880 in mine with brushed 775 motor

Stock tires are really good quality, very soft and grippie, but if i want super swampers then i could not find 140 mm as stock 135/50mm ... I am not home on the moment, so the repairs have to wait

Guess once home i will look for a aluminum steering servo just for stock, it is 25 kg, do you think it's wise to buy 35 kg ?¿ Instead of 25 kg ?

Steering arm I bought the original plastic one, and a aluminum one also from YiKong

I glued the body inside with this tape, and got really heavy, but it looks cool and my son is soon to be 7, so i need a strong bodywork on this car

Got small boxes & lawn chair all bolted inside the car, kids love it

So is it safe to say this RC of YiKong can last for many many years if china keeps making spare parts ? It was quite expensive, RC, charger, batteries, lot of spare parts .... AliExpress is my place to buy living in Indonesia...

BP6666VR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:38 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

@CoupeUK

Below pictures

the plastic steering arm i rounded off, but ordered a new one, all on its way ..

But i found another 25t YiKongs steering arm for a different model that is mounted on the axel, maybe that one is stronger ... we will see

Last the motor bracket, it is plastic so i ordered aluminum as per picture ( i hope) , of course with my big fingers i broke the tread ... so this aluminum thingy is much better

Old 07-18-2022, 08:07 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

i really like the bigger RC , guess my next one will be a 1/5 scale crawler, but nobody makes them yet
Axial makes the 1/6th scale SCX6 Jeep JLU Wrangler but it is quite expensive:

Axial Racing - SCX6 Jeep JLU Wrangler: 1/6 4wd RTR Green

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:41 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Also, your Yikong 1/8th scale would work perfectly well with a set of decent 2.2" aluminum beadlock wheels and tires in the 5.25-5.5" diameter range.

138mm equals 5.43" inches.

Many companies manufacture those, plenty of wheel styles and tread patterns to choose from.

I have a modified Axial Bomber that I swap wheels and tires depending on my mood and what kind of terrain I'm driving it on, using 2.2" wheels and tires that go from 5.25 to about 6" tall.

Driving slowly across obstacles, the vehicle does fine with whatever size I chose to run.

Of course it has no fenders to rub a too-large tire on!

Old 07-18-2022, 09:22 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Also, your Yikong 1/8th scale would work perfectly well with a set of decent 2.2" aluminum beadlock wheels and tires in the 5.25-5.5" diameter range.

138mm equals 5.43" inches.

Many companies manufacture those, plenty of wheel styles and tread patterns to choose from.

I have a modified Axial Bomber that I swap wheels and tires depending on my mood and what kind of terrain I'm driving it on, using 2.2" wheels and tires that go from 5.25 to about 6" tall.

Driving slowly across obstacles, the vehicle does fine with whatever size I chose to run.

Of course it has no fenders to rub a too-large tire on!

Right i am still confused about wheel size, i also asked this on that awesome 1.9 scale build thread, let's say my tires are 138 mm so when you talk about 1.9 or 2.2 rigs that is the RIM size, not the tire size ?

Then it is getting more clear for me ... so once i am home i will measure the rims in inches... Yes i would like some super swampers so i have crawler tires and sand tires, see picture below

Sometimes the tires rub on the body, but not often, but it seems i could change the shocks into a different hole, as i bought aluminum shock towers, see picture there are 5 holes to mount the shocks

If i can mount the shocks in a deferent hole then maybe i could find a 145 mm super swamper , see picture of 120 mm super swamper below that i like so much

Old 07-18-2022, 09:36 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Axial makes the 1/6th scale SCX6 Jeep JLU Wrangler but it is quite expensive:

Axial Racing - SCX6 Jeep JLU Wrangler: 1/6 4wd RTR Green

Ouch i like that indeed, i can not read the size of that SCX6 on my handphone but that seems just my cup of tea, ha ha maybe next year i will buy a second RC, i am already looking on YouTube... But spare parts are always trouble as i live in Indonesia.

The 1/8 YiKong Product Dimensions: 63.5 x 29 x 30cm

Old 07-18-2022, 10:25 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

To answer some of your questions - Yes, 2.2", 1.9", 1.7", and 1.55" are the outer rim diameters of the popular RC crawler wheels - then you buy tires that are advertised as the same size, and usually in the specifications somewhere it will also give you the Outer Diameter (OD) of the actual tire - in your pictured example, 2.2" tires 120-130mnm. The variation between 120 and 130mm usually is because mounting the tires on a narrower wheel will make the tire a little bit taller, but if you mount them on a wider wheel it will make the tire a bit shorter.

---------------------------------

The SCX6 is as follows:

Length: 33.55 in (776 mm)

Width: 14.88 in (378 mm)

Height: 14.55 in (370 mm)

Weight: 25 lb (11.3 kg)

Its tires are 7" tall!
Old 07-18-2022, 10:52 PM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
To answer some of your questions - Yes, 2.2", 1.9", 1.7", and 1.55" are the outer rim diameters of the popular RC crawler wheels - then you buy tires that are advertised as the same size, and usually in the specifications somewhere it will also give you the Outer Diameter (OD) of the actual tire - in your pictured example, 2.2" tires 120-130mnm. The variation between 120 and 130mm usually is because mounting the tires on a narrower wheel will make the tire a little bit taller, but if you mount them on a wider wheel it will make the tire a bit shorter.

---------------------------------

The SCX6 is as follows:

Length: 33.55 in (776 mm)

Width: 14.88 in (378 mm)

Height: 14.55 in (370 mm)

Weight: 25 lb (11.3 kg)

Its tires are 7" tall!
Ok i absolutely understand the rim vs tire sizes now, sorry for my confusion, I'm new at this hobby ... i copied your explanation and saved it in my RC info folder i have in my phone , once home i will measure the rims & wheel nut & shaft diameter, etc

That SCX6 =150 mm longer then the YiKongs that's awesome, really well build too i see on the pictures

Last edited by BP6666VR; 07-18-2022 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:02 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Gentleman and of course @CoupeUK who has 4 YiKongs

I finally came home last week and installed some minor parts .... but after 1 week of driving yet the steering servo stoped working, i ordered plenty spares again, it will take another month to arrive,

But i am here to show you all my good progress on working on this RC, i am really liking this hobby

Greased the 2 speed gearbox & 4WD / diff's

Changed some parts for aluminum ones

Changed some bolts for stainless steel ones

It was a lot of work and i have so much respect for you guys doing this for the past years, the amount of spares needed to run these RC is mindbogling hi hi

Hope you like the pictures

Old 09-07-2022, 11:09 PM   #71
Pebble Pounder

All the lights stopped working so i ordered the DUMBORC x6db hope that will solve that problem

I ordered all the bearings 10 each that i found in the manual
7*4*2.5
9*5*3
10*5*4
14*8*4
18*12*4
21*15*4

Also i bought stainless steel rods to make any pins out

Round 2 mm
Round 3 mm

I couldn't find round 1.6 mm so i bought a few pieces of 1.5 mm just in case

Old 09-08-2022, 03:44 AM   #72
Pebble Pounder

My son was sad the car did not work, so i drove to the RC shop and bought 1 super expensive servo, USD $ 100 ... after unpacking i see it's BRUSHLESS, does that work in my brushed RC ? Hope that's not a stupid question

Picture below

SAVOX brushless SB-2270G
it says 32 Kg torque
made in Taiwan

Old 09-08-2022, 03:46 AM   #73
Rock Stacker

Quote:
My son was sad the car did not work, so i drove to the RC shop and bought 1 super expensive servo, USD $ 100 ... after unpacking i see it's BRUSHLESS, does that work in my brushed RC ? Hope that's not a stupid question

Picture below

SAVOX brushless SB-2270G
it says 32 Kg torque
made in Taiwan

Yea will be fine

CoupeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:50 AM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeUK View Post
Yea will be fine

The new servo is making noise whilst power-on but i am not steering, if i activate the steering left & right it makes normal servo noise.... did you ever hear anything like that ?

Last edited by BP6666VR; 09-08-2022 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:14 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

You've just discovered a quirk to the Savox servos. They are very electronically noisy. Totally normal. Make sure to set your endpoints on your steering channel because otherwise your new servo will try to burn itself up when your steer full lock and it's stalled out trying to rip apart the linkage that's maxed out. Setting the endpoints allows you to limit the servo throw to what the axles will allow.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:36 AM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
You've just discovered a quirk to the Savox servos. They are very electronically noisy. Totally normal. Make sure to set your endpoints on your steering channel because otherwise your new servo will try to burn itself up when your steer full lock and it's stalled out trying to rip apart the linkage that's maxed out. Setting the endpoints allows you to limit the servo throw to what the axles will allow.
Thanks for the feedback, i keep on learning from you guys

How do you set endpoint on servos or steering channel ? I will look on YouTube and see if i can do this also , today i used the RC only for 10 minutes so I'm lucky of reading about the end point settings

I ordered 3 more servos from AliExpress, 35 kg each, 22 euro & 13 euro each,

And i did this Hobbywing "card" setting and it is so much difference

Old 09-09-2022, 06:41 AM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler.boy View Post
mmmmmmm nice rig and options mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Yes it is a really good RC

1/8 scale,
front-rear lockers,
2 speed gearbox,
big motor

All the parts are reasonable priced, but it is so much work to set up, build a whole workshop just for this 1 RC that i have, the amount of tools and spares i bought is a lot .... But i am slowly getting into this new hobby, i like the bigger size RC

Old 09-09-2022, 06:56 AM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Found a wonderful video, i can set it with the buttons on my remote

https://youtu.be/ha84jFODSCg

DUMBORC X6A & X6DCG DC

Tomorrow i will follow this video

Last edited by BP6666VR; 09-11-2022 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:25 PM   #79
Pebble Pounder

End points setting DONE,

guess that's why the stock servo stoped working,

newbies like me, never set end steering points out of the box, only after buying aftermarket servo we do it correctly, hi hi

Old 09-10-2022, 08:44 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

Good day y'all

I stripped a plastic steering knuckle tread... So my solution is as follows, for now

Picture
1. stripped tread
2. Clean / retap tread
3. Sanded half nut stainless
4. Insert bolt stainless & tight with 242 locktite the half-nut that was sanded down

I guess i will order all brass steering knuckle parts in the next order of AliExpress, hahahah seems i am very good at breaking parts on this RC

Last edited by BP6666VR; 09-11-2022 at 03:21 AM.

Coming soon Yikong crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
crawler coming in from Arizona. Catlover3178 Alaska 5 07-06-2013 05:25 PM
New crawler course coming !! BUGGYBOY General Crawlers 5 08-28-2009 10:50 PM
Crawler Get Together Coming Up!!!!!!!!! Dickie691986 General Crawlers 0 09-09-2008 06:18 PM
future crawler coming soon clodstall Chit Chat 92 09-16-2007 06:34 AM
coming soon WK crawler. hairba11 Newbie General 5 04-04-2007 05:26 PM