Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: I fixed the turning radius on my gen7 pro...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2021, 07:57 PM   #1

Default I fixed the turning radius on my gen7 pro...

...but I think I might've gone a little overboard:

https://i.imgur.com/3iHVbkP.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MyOtAQn.jpg

(Lord, it's 2021 and the forums are still posting the image at original size, and none of the bbcode i can find resizes them here)

After being frustrated with the steering radius on the gen7, having 4-wheel steering is amazing. I picked up a second front axle and swapped it for the rear, then tried to get it working with a Bastens kit and my DX3E, but just couldn't get it working. I found a DX5C on Facebook Marketplace for $80, and since I have Spektrum receivers in all my other surface gear it seemed like a good purchase. It finally arrived today, and within 10 minutes I had a switch assigned to do front/rear/4-wheel/crab steering.

I took it out to a few spots where the Everest struggled and it just powered right through everything, and climbed some things I didn't think would be possible. I still want to find some tires with a larger OD, and I need to shorten the inner links to tip the axles back to fix the entry angle, but damn I love this thing already.

I'm wondering if the default Everest links are threaded all the way through? If so, I could just cut them down ~5mm and get the axles and servos tipped back enough.

Last edited by Raketemensch; 09-21-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Raketemensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #2

Default Re: I fixed the turning radius on my gen7 pro...

Thanks to Goro Majima for shrinking the pics for me:

I've been really enjoying this thing a lot. I took the dog for an off-leash walk both days this weekend and drove this along the whole way through some nice swampy, rocky trails. I'm not sure who's happier about this thing, me or my dog. It's been named "Muddy Mudskipper."

I'm ordering a set of Duratrax Showdowns to get a cheap idea of what more clearance would be like, and I'm also printing this skidplate right now to be able to move the inner links in closer to the center:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4790644

Hiking with a crawler is honestly more fun for me than a day with a buggy or truck at the track. It doesn't hurt to have lots of good, rocky trails nearby.
Raketemensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:37 AM   #3

Sweet build, I'm curious where you got that cage. Let me know how those showdowns perform (I'm a very budget person).
Bronco 300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:57 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raketemensch View Post
I'm wondering if the default Everest links are threaded all the way through? If so, I could just cut them down ~5mm and get the axles and servos tipped back enough.
i would pick up some longer rod ends for the lower links instead of cutting the upper links down easyer and reversable if you dont like it
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

I fixed the turning radius on my gen7 pro... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cr-01 turning radius royalm Tamiya CR-01 17 09-08-2014 07:45 PM
turning radius ken webb Newbie General 5 10-23-2010 12:48 PM
Turning radius gunch Duratrax Cliff Climber 14 12-10-2009 08:52 PM
Best turning radius for AX-10 ? Parky Axial AX-10 Scorpion 17 11-10-2008 05:46 AM
Turning Radius INFIHunter Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 12-18-2007 04:04 PM