Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Next crawler choice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Next crawler choice.

Ok so I'm going back and forth on what crawler to do next. Opions and why will be appreciated. So here are my choices with a $1500 budget.
Axial SCX6
Vanquish Pro or Ultra
Vanquish Phoenix
Capra 4ws rtr
Axial JL kit
Axial JL rtr

Those are the ones i have narrowed it down to, but if you want to add a different choice
I will check it out.
offroad1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2021, 10:51 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Next crawler choice.

With that variety, I'd say which is the cheapest kit. But also if you don't already have a Vanquish rig, I'd start there with your budget.
Goro Majima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:54 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Well hard to say without knowing what you’re looking for specifically, and what you already have.

Personally, I’m a big fan of my vs410 pro. It’s something I don’t intend to ever sell (I sell almost everything I buy), and a nice high end build, electronics, lights, wheels, tires, foams, etc.. could still be under your $1500 budget.

Or you could build a Phoenix and a 10.3 JL kit with more budget friendly electronics, wheels and tires for about the same price

I’ve also got a lot of enjoyment out of completely piecing a rig together, or shopping classifieds and fb marketplace for high end, Barely used parts. Like I said, depends on what exactly you’re looking to get out of the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

If I was sitting on $1,500 to drop into a single build, I wouldn't be looking at off-the-shelf. Grab something like a Team Garage Hack Sherpa kit and go to town-- pick your axles, electronics, body, wheels... everything. Build a rig impossible to upgrade, because it had every upgrade already in it before the first battery got plugged in.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I would go with the Phoenix. You would have a grand left to get it set up the way you want. If metal axles are you liking then the Pro or Ultra, but that leaves you with less $$ to set it up. If a scratch built is in your wheelhouse then the TGH Sherpa is a good choice to start with, followed up with a Holmes servo and motor, Kronix Shocks maybe. With that budget I would not go RTR, build a kit or a Chassis build , set it up for you from the get go.

Last edited by sherbs; 12-02-2021 at 11:32 PM.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #6
RCC Addict

$1500 Is a solid budget to build something pretty nice, I’m with twade, I love my pro and the Vanquish F9 Capra he inspired me to build.
I see the 4ws Capra is on your list, and if an lcg build sparks your interest at all, I say build something like I just did. Gspeed v3 with Capra axles and 4ws.

If you’re set on something off that list And haven’t built a vanquish kit before I say go with the pro.

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

dont listen to these guys buy them all thats really the only solution to your problem
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
dont listen to these guys buy them all thats really the only solution to your problem

Haha I actually agree.. I’ve got 5 rigs right now, just sold my 6th and will be building a replacement as well as having a few more builds in mind. Of the current 5 I don’t want to part ways with any of them

Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I know such a tough choice...have close to 15 rigs and just built a GS02F Pickup and just ordered another but the Military version. A fun build and really nice truck...the axles, almost like the Carisma slide over rocks better than any axle out.
And at $285 shipped to door it's a decent deal. You can pair with a super slow low KV motor because 2nd gear is Tall and comes with overdrive.

For me the high end builds like Vanquish and some of my Gspeed builds never see as much action...always feel slightly guilty beating on them and plus the Vanquish and others end up being too heavy because of all the nice metal machined parts.

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 12-03-2021 at 12:02 PM.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
If I was sitting on $1,500 to drop into a single build, I wouldn't be looking at off-the-shelf. Grab something like a Team Garage Hack Sherpa kit and go to town-- pick your axles, electronics, body, wheels... everything. Build a rig impossible to upgrade, because it had every upgrade already in it before the first battery got plugged in.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. This is the route I would go with a $1500 budget.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I've gotta agree with the build your own philosophy. I've got both a TGH Sherpa with a 4WS Capra axle setup and a GSpeed V3 with AR45p's under it. Currently the Sherpa has a FMM/Transfer case setup but I just bought a 2.low to replace it. The GSpeed uses a 2.low and it's awesome. I'll admit that I have those two rigs, plus a VS4-10 Ultra and just completed a build on a 4-10 Phoenix. I also have an Enduro that's a 4.19/Hardbody trail truck if I want a challenge! With $1500 you could certainly have alot of fun!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Next crawler choice. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawler choice? Ranch Ranger General Crawlers 12 01-23-2019 11:35 AM
tire choice for my first 2.2 crawler. Tom94offroaduk Newbie General 13 12-29-2010 12:25 PM
Crawler King was it the correct choice? norbyx HPI Wheely King 9 02-24-2010 09:05 PM
My First Crawler..Did I make the Right Choice... locktite Newbie General 7 01-17-2007 12:03 PM
Motor choice for TLT Crawler BALISTC Newbie General 4 02-06-2006 03:02 PM