Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Motor replacement:Steer Me in the Right Direction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2022, 10:32 PM   #1

Default Motor replacement:Steer Me in the Right Direction

SCX10.3. Looking for a replacement for my stock 35T Brushed motor.
Im running the Hobbywing 1080 Quickrun esc on 3S. My Tranny is locked in Low gear and the stock motor moves the truck faster than I can comfortably walk, (a slow Jog) and thats fine for me. I dont need any more speed but I would like some more Crawling performance on the steep and difficult rocks that I find the most challenge on.

Im looking at the Holmes Hobbies Crawlemaster Sport series. But there is such a VARIETY of turns and two Sizes of Motors (540 & 550) 8 turns to 20 turns. Im a Noob crawler and I admit that Im kind of lost with so much Variety. Im thinking a 550 can, ( know it will fit)...I think it would help if I knew which of the HH motors are closest to my Stock motor performance, so I could make some sort of Comparison and choose an upgrade for my wants...... Otherwise Im just taking a wild guess as to which motor to get......Any guidance would be appreciated.......
Redharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2022, 11:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Motor replacement:Steer Me in the Right Direction

A great resource is the Holmes Hobbies Motor Recommendations page:

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

Going by that chart, if you can wedge a 550 can in your chassis, it's a toss-up between the CrawlMaster Sport 550 15t (a bit slower than your motor) and the CrawlMaster Sport 550 13t (a bit faster).

This would be the case because the TrailMaster Sport 540 35t is the closest thing to a RTR 540 can 35t motor that Holmes makes. It's still likely better than your RTR motor, at least by a bit.

The chart shows 1400kv for that motor, and 1250kv for the CrawlMaster 550 Sport 15t, and 1450kv for the CrawlMaster Sport 550 13t.

You can go for more power still with either the CrawlMaster Sport 12t or even bump up to the 10t...

Adjust your pinion size if needed, it can surprise you how much a tooth or 2 in either direction can affect things.

At the bottom of the chart, there are specific recommendations for various vehicles - and Holmes lists the Crawlmaster Sport series he recommends for the SCX10.3 like so:

"15t – 10t CrawlMaster 550"

Enjoy!

(I have the Crawlmaster Sport 12t in my TRX-4, and the TrailMaster Sport 550 21t in my Ascender - both are fantastic motors, especially connected to the HobbyWing 1080 WP ESC - the TrailMaster Sport has more off-the-line punch, but isn't quite as smooth in its power delivery)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 06:35 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

What he said. 35t Trailmaster sport 540 will be equal replacement but with quite a bit more torque due to quality differences.

If you can fit a 550, its even better
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
A great resource is the Holmes Hobbies Motor Recommendations page:

https://holmeshobbies.com/motor-recommendations

Going by that chart, if you can wedge a 550 can in your chassis, it's a toss-up between the CrawlMaster Sport 550 15t (a bit slower than your motor) and the CrawlMaster Sport 550 13t (a bit faster).

This would be the case because the TrailMaster Sport 540 35t is the closest thing to a RTR 540 can 35t motor that Holmes makes. It's still likely better than your RTR motor, at least by a bit.

The chart shows 1400kv for that motor, and 1250kv for the CrawlMaster 550 Sport 15t, and 1450kv for the CrawlMaster Sport 550 13t.

You can go for more power still with either the CrawlMaster Sport 12t or even bump up to the 10t...

Adjust your pinion size if needed, it can surprise you how much a tooth or 2 in either direction can affect things.

At the bottom of the chart, there are specific recommendations for various vehicles - and Holmes lists the Crawlmaster Sport series he recommends for the SCX10.3 like so:

"15t – 10t CrawlMaster 550"

Enjoy!

(I have the Crawlmaster Sport 12t in my TRX-4, and the TrailMaster Sport 550 21t in my Ascender - both are fantastic motors, especially connected to the HobbyWing 1080 WP ESC - the TrailMaster Sport has more off-the-line punch, but isn't quite as smooth in its power delivery)
Thanks. Your explanation helps me to Decipher that motor Chart. I wasnt seeing the pattern before and I was not understanding what it MEANT. I think I got it now.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
What he said. 35t Trailmaster sport 540 will be equal replacement but with quite a bit more torque due to quality differences.

If you can fit a 550, its even better
I was watching your Video on YT,,,,,where you compare the Magnet strength of the Crawlmaster Sport series to other RTR motors. Thats an Excellent video with some eye opening information.

Before watcthing that Vid, I assumed the Crawlmaster Sport Series were the Equivalent to inexpensive RTR replacements. I Think I was Wrong in that assumption. I thought I might have to spend a lot more $$ to get a decent motor. I think I may have been wrong in That assumption too.

The Thing Is,,,,,,,you can spend many hours watching motor videos and reading Specs online and still come away without any REAL knowledge.
At the end of the day you just have to Pull the Trigger on a motor and see how it works, and experience it for yourself.

Im ordering TWO motors. One Crawlmaster Sport 10T and another in 15T.
This is gonna be Fun!
Old 10-15-2022, 10:54 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redharris View Post
I was watching your Video on YT,,,,,where you compare the Magnet strength of the Crawlmaster Sport series to other RTR motors. Thats an Excellent video with some eye opening information.

Before watcthing that Vid, I assumed the Crawlmaster Sport Series were the Equivalent to inexpensive RTR replacements. I Think I was Wrong in that assumption. I thought I might have to spend a lot more $$ to get a decent motor. I think I may have been wrong in That assumption too.

The Thing Is,,,,,,,you can spend many hours watching motor videos and reading Specs online and still come away without any REAL knowledge.
At the end of the day you just have to Pull the Trigger on a motor and see how it works, and experience it for yourself.

Im ordering TWO motors. One Crawlmaster Sport 10T and another in 15T.
This is gonna be Fun!

Well said, and good choices. I wouldn’t be surprised if you find better/smoother low end control and increased wheel speed using either motor. Going from 3 to 5 pole makes a significant difference.

Also as mentioned, simple pinion changes will help dial either one in to your liking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor replacement:Steer Me in the Right Direction - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor direction is not what I want BashNSlash Axial SCX10 II 9 12-14-2018 01:10 PM
motor direction jeepgeek2002 G-Made Crawlers 2 11-22-2013 09:32 AM
Motor direction ? madkawi650 Electronics 4 10-26-2011 09:44 PM
Motor direction Burntnuts Electronics 13 05-14-2011 06:54 PM
motor direction? squish72 Newbie General 6 02-24-2008 10:44 AM