Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Scale Driving..am I the only one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

I'd rather drive scale than all out at a comp, which is why I don't comp anymore..I'm more for gtg's. Hell, I even traded my pitbulls for stompers so the driving can be more challenging than too easy and I don't run anything more than a 2s lipo. But every now and then I'll hammer down to get over a difficult obstacle of need be.
railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scale Driving..am I the only one?

I drive my r/c's like my 1:1. Smooth and steady until more wheel speed is needed then it gets pinned. When at the dunes or blasting in the snow full throttle air time was the norm. On the rocks I'd try and crawl but if it wasn't getting the job done I was never affraid to pin it and side step the clutch so it carries on to the r/c world for me.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #23

I think it goes both ways it's fun to get out and have fun and run my scx10's and others its nice to just scale it up, but either way I like to push my rigs and just see how we'll they will do and what they will climb and make it through. But to each their own.you scale crawl how you like to and we everyone else will do it how they want to
jessegallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

For me, I drive to match the group that I'm with. My rig is more or less, class2 and built pretty strong. It'll crawl. It'll bash. It even drifts if the 4s finds its way into the batt box. I admit that most of the stuff I do with this rig I wouldn't even think about doing with a 1:1. For me, thats part of the fun. Its like the superheros in the comic books. They can walk among us and then, with one single leap....................
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I love driving scale....I think the problem is when there are people from different RC disciplines. If you came from the Monster Truck Bashing (eRevo, Emaxx, etc)...it tends to be hammer down.

I like watching the suspension work over obstacles that are scale.

But everyone is free to run their rigs how they want...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

The E-Maxx of the scale world, the Wraith. Same mentality.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
I had my "Go Fast " attitude going on the first comp of my crawler life....was a little white knuckled trying to complete the course in an allotted time...given that, how can you do a scale crawl ???

Diesel :

To whom do you question scale anything...videos or competitions...??? Or both ?? Totally confused

Let me edit a bit....I would rather do a scale crawl
rather than have to go balls out to complete a course

I was just curious on how people run their rigs...I see alot of really nice rigs that people put tons of time into and money as well and was curious how everyone drove and their thoughts on it..yeah always some time for just playin around a little bit but was just curious..I thought if I put up a title like "How do you drive" I'd get answers like "with my right foot and steering wheel"...so I re-worded it a bit..My rig isnt nearly as nice as alot of them but as one poster said I like to take care of my rigs just like my 1:1..Thanks guys for all of the replies..a good variation on techniques and driving styles.

JC
DieselJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Sorry I have a hammer down mentality if a 1.1 rig would survive I would drive it the same way I due my scaler
alterchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

i like to rip,snort and drive em hard! but every now and then i kick back and take it easy.
HONCHO22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
I love driving scale....I think the problem is when there are people from different RC disciplines. If you came from the Monster Truck Bashing (eRevo, Emaxx, etc)...it tends to be hammer down.

I like watching the suspension work over obstacles that are scale.

But everyone is free to run their rigs how they want...
I share the same attitude, my scale rigs have always been more biased on the 'scale model' side of things, so when I go to a scale comp and see courses that would give a sportsman rig a decent work out, I just sit it out and grab a clip board to do some scoring. I know that I'm a PIA for the club, so I stopped complaining about the courses and just try to help out w/ the management side of things. I still enjoy the social aspect of the club events and looking at all of the other rigs and share ideas back and forth with other guys.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Ive been going back and forth with this right now im running a 27t on 3s and it runs like hell jump everything bash the crap out of it, but ive been wanting to slow it down so it actually creeps and makes it more of a scaled pace. I just need to find the right combo. I know when i go wheeling for real i crawl a lot of things but then hill climbs and such i get after it. And with out having a 2 speed trans its tough to find a happy medium. Im sure i have a 55t and 65t motor laying around maybe ill toss that in there and see what the feel is like.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Ive been going back and forth with this right now im running a 27t on 3s and it runs like hell jump everything bash the crap out of it, but ive been wanting to slow it down so it actually creeps and makes it more of a scaled pace. I just need to find the right combo. I know when i go wheeling for real i crawl a lot of things but then hill climbs and such i get after it. And with out having a 2 speed trans its tough to find a happy medium. Im sure i have a 55t and 65t motor laying around maybe ill toss that in there and see what the feel is like.
My comp type rig runs a hand wound HH 35 turn on 3s with 18/87 gearing and od/ud diff gears and it crawls well and has more wheel speed than needed for me. It's a great combo for me.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #33
No idea what I'm doing

If you comp you aren't always allowed the luxury of doing scale driving. You have to test the limits so you know what your truck will do when the clock is ticking.

That being said, I love scale driving! Show me a video of a throttle jockey driving a scaler, and I can't hit the back button fast enough. Give me a link of headquake driving and I'll watch it ten times!

If you don't know who headquake is...you aren't a scaler.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 11-14-2012 at 07:52 AM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Amen!!!
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Haadquark? Never heard of the guy. Is he good at trucks? Does he have an internet I can watch?
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #36
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
Haadquark? Never heard of the guy. Is he good at trucks? Does he have an internet I can watch?
I could have easily have said the same about you

There are scalers like quake and noob, and then there is the rest of us.

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 11-13-2012 at 06:23 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Based on some of the youtube videos you can see of good 'ol fashioned rednecks taking there street trucks or lifted mud trucks into some seriously stupid situations including big jumps and way to big of rocks to try and get over. When you watch Tim Cameron and others in their southern rock racers, it means that a class 3 rig should be driven like a bat out of hell. No doubt that a class 1 scaler can do way more than it's 1:1 equivalent. For class 2 and class 3 rigs, driving like a maniac once and a while is really pretty scale. The only thing not scale about it is the lack of permanent damage done to the rigs. Unless they tumble down a rocky hillside most rollovers and bad jumps only result in scratches or a relatively simple busted part.

I say we all have a little redneck in us, so this hobby gives us a chance to let it show a little bit
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
I think the lines are blurring. Just because some of us don't drive scale doesn't mean we drive like crazy fools bashing into trees and rocks.
Just like 1:1s I always try the lines that should be impossible. If that ends in breakage so be it, it should be built stronger. But what I have seen that most Call "scale driving" is like driving on the sidewalk.
I can respect someone not wanting to scratch something they spent time and money on but that doesn't mean I understand it.
Could'nt have said it better Scale drivingYup the 1:1 is allways doing things it should'nt
TrickyRicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

I think some people are "blurring the lines" on the scale side too. I consider myself a slower "scale" driver like I would drive in MY 1:1. And that doesn't mean staying on the sidewalk. But I have my class 2 rig that I like to test it's limits every once in a while. It's just more fun TO ME to crawl over an obsticles rather than ramp off of it.
steele42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #40
RCC Addict

55t motors and 15tooth pinions in all my rigs. Luckily my friends have the same mentality as me. Slow and steady. We may not win the RACE but we sure climb most things slowly that others have to "jump" up.

Plus like noob I can say I've never broken drivetrain parts. Which keeps costs down.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Scale Driving..am I the only one? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who's DRIVING your scale rig?action figures chicostaxxs007 Scale Accessories 333 08-15-2023 03:59 PM
Scale driving TAT76 General Scale Talk 44 10-22-2010 10:45 AM
gearing for under driving and over driving the diffs ax10oz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 04-12-2010 08:52 PM
Anyone driving from Ga? TattooKenny Past RCCA qualifiers 0 07-05-2009 04:03 AM