I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Welcome to Smiggin's Folly

Progress!
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #242
I wanna be Dave

I’ve been doing some basement wall repair at home and had some buckets of rubble. Let’s build some rocks!

The bridge area needs a rebuild. Plan is to take the bridge out, build some new walls and put it back. Also make it a little higher up. Some of my taller trucks can’t fit under it.

Here are the areas I plan to build up.

Old 07-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #243
I wanna be Dave

Mixed up some ‘crete.

That’s a pretty big one. 200 pounds of concrete.

A little baby one up the back of Smiggin’s Pass.

This is right after passing under the bridge.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #244
Rock Crawler

Man, if I ever move my family to Dallas, TX(where there are no mountains within close driving range), and manage to buy a home and some land, I'll probably do something similar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:35 PM   #245
I wanna be Dave

I'm always amazed at the amount of effort that you constantly out into your RC park in the way of general maintenance and upgrades.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #246
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Man, if I ever move my family to Dallas, TX(where there are no mountains within close driving range), and manage to buy a home and some land, I'll probably do something similar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sounds like a god plan! It’s great having your own private place to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I'm always amazed at the amount of effort that you constantly out into your RC park in the way of general maintenance and upgrades.
It’s a labor of love that’s for sure.

Steel wool dissolved in vinegar provides the color.

This should help show the scale of the largest rock. Incredibly fun to drive on too. It has created a couple new driving lines.

This little one up the hill makes for a nice tippy thing near a tree.

The bridge and it’s new, stronger foundation
Old 07-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #247
Quarry Creeper

Are you finding moss elsewhere to put there or did it grow on its own? You are over the top. Inspirational for sure.
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:40 AM   #248
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by odomandr View Post
Are you finding moss elsewhere to put there or did it grow on its own? You are over the top. Inspirational for sure.

The moss all formed on its own. Partial shade and the soil stays wet for a bit, great conditions. Its almost like scale grass in some spots.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #249
Quarry Creeper

Yeah that's super cool
Old 07-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #250
I wanna be Dave

Spent a bit of time pulling weeds and looking at all the natural beauty at Smiggin’s Folly this morning. Wish I could take credit for this but nature did it on its own.

More moss stuff since I get asked a lot about it.

All of the moss here is naturally occurring. It thrives here which is so rad. So nice and soft and a bunch of different varieties. Awesome! Or should I say mossome?

A couple trees getting some gnarly roots. First is a blue spruce the second is a white pine. The spruce being one of the first, if not being the very first tree I planted here

Old 07-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #251
Quarry Creeper

you labor of love is being rewarded by mother nature, and she seems to be in tune with whats good.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #252

Amazing work! It was an entertaining photo journey reading from start to finish... thank you for sharing this!

I've been rolling around ideas in my head about building some scale goodness in my backyard, and I have permission from my honey, although she retains veto power over the design. Basically it has to do double-duty as landscaping...

I was wondering if you don't mind answering a few questions... how much planning did you do before you started? How did you decide how big to lay things out? Had you built anything smaller or did you just jump in?

Thanks again for sharing pictures and videos of your incredible work!
jdtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #253
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtree View Post
Amazing work! It was an entertaining photo journey reading from start to finish... thank you for sharing this!

I've been rolling around ideas in my head about building some scale goodness in my backyard, and I have permission from my honey, although she retains veto power over the design. Basically it has to do double-duty as landscaping...

I was wondering if you don't mind answering a few questions... how much planning did you do before you started? How did you decide how big to lay things out? Had you built anything smaller or did you just jump in?

Thanks again for sharing pictures and videos of your incredible work!

I come up things as I go and let it evolve. I think I have more creativity that way. The size was kind of determined by the size of the pile of dirt I started with. Looking back I wish I had made it bigger but that comes with more maintenance so maybe not!

I built a smaller area at my parent’s house when I lived there. Mostly rocks though and just one structure. Just a few trees. It was enough to keep my entertained though.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
I come up things as I go and let it evolve. I think I have more creativity that way. The size was kind of determined by the size of the pile of dirt I started with. Looking back I wish I had made it bigger but that comes with more maintenance so maybe not!

I built a smaller area at my parent’s house when I lived there. Mostly rocks though and just one structure. Just a few trees. It was enough to keep my entertained though.
I guess I need to go get me a pile of dirt!!!

I have a utility trailer that had a bunch of scrap wood in it, so I built some ramps, turns, bridges, etc. to crawl on. It was a lot of fun, but I needed the trailer, so I had to scrap the setup... it also looked "junky," and I will need to make something that looks nicer if I want it to be permanent...
jdtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #255
I wanna be Dave

Ok, back over to Smiggin’s Gulch! I was such a little builber today. Used more of my salvage wood stash. Such lovely wood.

Then I had some scrap wood from my scrap wood and needed another project.
W. M. Smiggin (builder and undertaker) has been slow so these gallows provided him work in more ways than one. It will also clear out the town jail. Too bad the town cemetery is at capacity also.

(Not permanent location)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #256
RCC Addict

I've been following this thread like a middle-aged woman lost in a Harlequin Romance novel. I only clicked out of boredom and curiosity of the quirky title but what I discovered was an entire world that left me feeling as if THIS is what scale is meant to be... Not the instantaneous purchases or the typical task of making something work... but rather the flow of creativity, the painstaking attention to detail, the foundation, the complexity... the vision! Watching this wonderland of scale unfold throughout these pages is truly what it's all about. If someone ever wishes to understand what others find so satisfying and exciting about scale rc, they need look no further than Smiggin's Folly.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:52 AM   #257
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
W. M. Smiggin (builder and undertaker) has been slow so these gallows provided him work in more ways than one. It will also clear out the town jail. Too bad the town cemetery is at capacity also.
With the jail full and the cemetery at capacity, looks like you'll have to build a "Pit of Misery" (dilly, dilly)
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #258
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
I've been following this thread like a middle-aged woman lost in a Harlequin Romance novel. I only clicked out of boredom and curiosity of the quirky title but what I discovered was an entire world that left me feeling as if THIS is what scale is meant to be... Not the instantaneous purchases or the typical task of making something work... but rather the flow of creativity, the painstaking attention to detail, the foundation, the complexity... the vision! Watching this wonderland of scale unfold throughout these pages is truly what it's all about. If someone ever wishes to understand what others find so satisfying and exciting about scale rc, they need look no further than Smiggin's Folly.
Wow! Thank you for that. I appreciate your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
With the jail full and the cemetery at capacity, looks like you'll have to build a "Pit of Misery" (dilly, dilly)
Pit of misery, sounds like my profession.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #259

We need an updated overhead view of the entire set up
RC DRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:51 AM   #260
I wanna be Dave

NooB please tell me you have seen the trailer for Welcome to Marwen! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6dy7xQ8NeE
also i have some natural moss in my backyard proving ground too. its too hot now and died off but it should come back in the cooler months. and yes its very MOSSome hahaha

the concrete boulders are incredible! great solution to "how do i get a 400 pound rock half buried in my yard?"
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote