Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: trying to decide on parts for 2017 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default trying to decide on parts for 2017 build

Ok mods please move accordingly if this isnt right. thanks!

i am not very knowledgeable on this so please forgive me. quick summary then more...

current real truck has
16.5" rims
40" ground hawgs (measure 38.8")
want to build as 1/10 using clod body....

so with that I didnt know if it goes in 1.5 or 1.9 as there is no 1.65 LOL

so with that out of the way...

Ok so I am starting to get some slight free time...
1 kid no longer travel soccer's but does HS sports and we cant go to those.
Same kid and his brother are now both black belts (they were in different classes for the last 3 months I have been in MMA place 6-9 times a week!!!!! for 6-7 days a week!!!!

so now i am starting to get time and cleaned the garage. With that clean garage i found my workbench and about 8 micro RC cars in pieces but bench is still a disaster. with that I can now reach my CAM-FOFF i never finished and my AX10 Proline Tuber....

so I plan on getting rolling again and finishing those up but I want to add to my not finished list to start planning out my 1:1 so....

lets start with a pic then I will chime in what I think and need help from there....
Threw everything at it including the kitchen sink

20160314_191200 by Jeffrey Riggs, on Flickr

so what im thinking to start with....

frame - not sure if i am capable of creating one and not sure there is one close to stock
Body - bought clod body but its so small... ordered 2x rc4wd blazers.. gonna customize those...
Rim - ordered rc4wd 1.55 steelies
Tires - realize not gonna be anal about 1:1 so no hawgs... ordered 1.55 mud slingers

axles - arb t60 front rear (unless there is a better metal option)
....... so now the portals are available so may look at them mst cfx-w axles

fender flares - CHEVY FENDER (set of 4) - Scale Designs International (will get these after i figure out how well they fit the rc4wd blazer...

I want to do the motor/trans/tcase looking setup so I need to search around and figure that out...

like said want to go scale and d60 front, smc465 trans, np205 xfer and 14bff rear... if you know of what would look good in those places please let me know.. gonna be googling all over right now.. hah...

Last edited by RootBreaker; 02-01-2017 at 10:20 AM.
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: trying to decide on parts for 2017 build

1.7 is closer then 1.55 or 1.9
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
1.7 is closer then 1.55 or 1.9
hmm i was googling.. and didnt see any of them and I agree!!!!

well im thinking these wheels then!!!
Stamped Steel 1.7" Beadlock Wagon Wheels
Old 12-21-2016, 01:36 AM   #4

Depends on the real scale of the rig. Even though most are officially named 1/10th scale, quite a few are actually more like 1/9th or even 1/8th scale. And with a scale between 1/8th and 1/9th, 1,9" rims would fit quite nicely as scaled 16,5".
DirkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Nice looking truck!

I think the Clod body is closer to 1/12 scale like the Tamiya's F150 so your best option for rims would be 1.55's.

These reversed would look good...Stamped Steel 1.55" Stock Black Beadlock Wheel

For tires, these would look pretty good...Rock Stompers 1.55" Offroad Tires
They could be stretched onto 1.7's also.

I have a set of those fender flares for sale, for the clod body also. You would probably have to fab an interior since I don't think the clod has one, and the snorkel too.

Hilux mirrors, metal emblems, standard OEM grill, can be found.

Here's a thread that might give you some insight, Clod bodied TF2 chassis - Page 7 - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

Since the bodies are closer to 1/12 scale, they are narrow, so your T60 would be quite wide compared to the body. In order to keep your tires within the body, like the pic, you'd have to use SDI axles or the MRC's, or modify something else, to be narrowed. Looks like a challenge for sure, but will be an awesome build.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

thx that was a good read. so I didn't know the clod body is more of a 1/12 scale... very interesting.

so the clod body would need to be extended as I saw a post where someone else did that as it wasn't a true scale 8' so I got a lot more to dig up after xmas.

so I was going to use possibly a scx10 frame but the tf2 looks nice as well. I don't think I could actually make a frame (as I'm not that handy) but time will tell. I figure lets get the tires/rims, motor, trans, xfer, etc.. and go to frame later.......

more to come...
Old 12-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I would go with rc4wd blazer body. Mod the back to a pickup of coarse.
G made black steelies with proline swampers.
Ssd d60 axels.
donny8594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donny8594 View Post
I would go with rc4wd blazer body. Mod the back to a pickup of coarse.
G made black steelies with proline swampers.
Ssd d60 axels.
so i started looking through things and just realized the blazer body is the older 73-80 front clip as even though i have a 1978 I do have a 1986 quad headlight setup.... and want to keep it close to that so it seems the clod body is still the best...

i now see the Ascender 1986 Blazer grill will work !!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
Nice looking truck!

I think the Clod body is closer to 1/12 scale like the Tamiya's F150 so your best option for rims would be 1.55's.

These reversed would look good...Stamped Steel 1.55" Stock Black Beadlock Wheel

For tires, these would look pretty good...Rock Stompers 1.55" Offroad Tires
They could be stretched onto 1.7's also.

I have a set of those fender flares for sale, for the clod body also. You would probably have to fab an interior since I don't think the clod has one, and the snorkel too.

Hilux mirrors, metal emblems, standard OEM grill, can be found.

Here's a thread that might give you some insight, Clod bodied TF2 chassis - Page 7 - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

Since the bodies are closer to 1/12 scale, they are narrow, so your T60 would be quite wide compared to the body. In order to keep your tires within the body, like the pic, you'd have to use SDI axles or the MRC's, or modify something else, to be narrowed. Looks like a challenge for sure, but will be an awesome build.

im really contemplating taking the clod body to 1/10 scale... well at least length and width.. not sure if height would look bad.. but the 1/12 numbers right now for the clod are all over the place. I used Scale Conversion Calculator - Jimbob-Wan's

with that came up with the length and width are great for 1/12 but WB is off by smidge less than an inch... but looking at my truck looks like tire is farther from cab..

ughhhh

so i guess the real question is how scale do I really care to go? I could just do the blazer body recommendation and convert it to a pickup and be a larger body more of a 1/9-1/10

@ 1/12 numbers...

Rims Scale
16.5 1.375
18.6 1.55

Tires
38.8 3.233333

Type............WB.........length............width
long box 78...127.........216.25............78.75
Clod Body....11.5...............18...............6.5
1/12........10.583.......18.02083.........6.5625

Scale Frames WB
Trail Finder 2 11.3
SCX10 Dingo 11.4
SCX10 2 Cherokee 12.3
Old 01-04-2017, 10:53 AM   #10

Looks like you're going super-scale accurate. I doubt you'll get all the pieces that accurate unless you hand make EVERYTHING. A little creative license goes a long way, otherwise I know I would bog myself down and lose interest in such a detailed project.

Good luck hope you figure it out
Farmer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer91 View Post
Looks like you're going super-scale accurate. I doubt you'll get all the pieces that accurate unless you hand make EVERYTHING. A little creative license goes a long way, otherwise I know I would bog myself down and lose interest in such a detailed project.

since i dont comp... im thinking - close enough works... LOL..

BUT i want the WB to look right. my rear wheels look so much farther back... hah...

ive got some cash... very little but some amazon gift cards ($100) so i can start shopping. wont go far but maybe a body or 2 to start...
Old 01-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #12

I'd start with buying a body, and some 1.55 wheels and tires. 1.55 might not scale out to 16.5 but the tires will be smaller OD and look more scale to the truck than 1.9s will. As for the tires, no ground hawgs that I've seen, Rock Stompers are TSLs and Mud Slingers are Boggers, I'd pick one of those 2 and go from there.

Get the pieces and "mock" it up and see what you think before you buy another body and start cutting
Farmer91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

Quote:
I'd start with buying a body, and some 1.55 wheels and tires. 1.55 might not scale out to 16.5 but the tires will be smaller OD and look more scale to the truck than 1.9s will. As for the tires, no ground hawgs that I've seen, Rock Stompers are TSLs and Mud Slingers are Boggers, I'd pick one of those 2 and go from there.

Get the pieces and "mock" it up and see what you think before you buy another body and start cutting
well i put it all in my cart and trying to hit the submit button

but maybe im wrong... but I used the converter and the rock stompers are 4.13" and converted on 1/12 are like 49.5's ... way too big for my scale...
but i also failed math... am i wrong?
Old 01-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

well i got a frame, leafs and shackles coming from weez440 - thx bro!!!!

ordered a clod body from amazon so it too is on its way... then the fun...
Old 01-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #15
I joined the Band!

just watched a video which got me stoked to work with styrene.. this is gonna be cool!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=uJQ71o1qqWw

i see it is intense yet can be easy. need the right tools which I have most... but also saw his comments of what glue he has found works best so seems im going to have to toy with glues as well...
Old 01-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #16
I joined the Band!

so now im torn. i got my clod body in so that is good. got home made frame rails and leaf springs...
going to order tires/rims but found the SSD rims as well..

can anyone who has experience with both let me know which they feel is a better quality? SSD costs more...
i want to do a 1:1 but no hawgs so ill go boggers... so off the bat the truck wont be a true 1:1... so i dont mind getting beadlock ringed rims....

whatcha think?

SSD
SSD RC Single 1.55” Steel D Hole Beadlock Wheel (Black) (1)

RC4WD
Stamped Steel 1.55" Stock Black Beadlock Wheel
Old 01-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

This ^^^ Im in the same boat, and realizing I just dont have the time/patience to make EVERYTHING super true/accurate. I will, however, still have to frankenstien together or make my own chassis, but with some other details Im just having to learn to let some of them slide a bit so that I can actually finish it!
JoeThePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #18
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeThePro View Post
This ^^^ Im in the same boat, and realizing I just dont have the time/patience to make EVERYTHING super true/accurate. I will, however, still have to frankenstien together or make my own chassis, but with some other details Im just having to learn to let some of them slide a bit so that I can actually finish it!
im with ya man..

so change of plans. gonna get 2 x rc4wd bodies and make a pickup. I then will "cope" with the front end of a late 70's vs the quad headlights of my 86 front... for now..

ive got so much to do.. make a bed that i want the correct size with bushwacker fender flares. tube bumpers...

by the time i get the bed done, scale interior done.. then ill have hopefully some idea on how to deal with the front...

tires - they dont make ground hawgs so im going boggers... but will have close to the right rims... 15.5" vs 16.5" all little subtle differences...

hah...

ive got a home made chassis, leafs... just think the clod body will sit on the shelf for now...

hope you figure something out on your end..
Old 01-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
im with ya man..

so change of plans. gonna get 2 x rc4wd bodies and make a pickup. I then will "cope" with the front end of a late 70's vs the quad headlights of my 86 front... for now..

ive got so much to do.. make a bed that i want the correct size with bushwacker fender flares. tube bumpers...

by the time i get the bed done, scale interior done.. then ill have hopefully some idea on how to deal with the front...

tires - they dont make ground hawgs so im going boggers... but will have close to the right rims... 15.5" vs 16.5" all little subtle differences...

hah...

ive got a home made chassis, leafs... just think the clod body will sit on the shelf for now...

hope you figure something out on your end..
You could always cut out the front end and fab up your own out of styrene. I'm in the process of building my '85 suburban, first time working with styrene. Pretty fun (and time consuming) stuff. For the tires you could get 1.7 rims and if you dont find any 1.7 tires you like you could stretch 1.5s on them, or cut 1.9s down to fit, maybe
JoeThePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #20
I joined the Band!

I just sucked it up.. 2x rc4wd bodies ordered. figured lets get the bed don't first and make the back right first.
also ordered up rc4wd 1.55 mud slingers and rc4wd steelies... so far all rc4wd LOL...
I'm still now thinking SSD trans and xfer next.. gotta save /sell stuff...

trying to decide on parts for 2017 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to decide on what to build? 8ball ice General Scale Talk 2 05-27-2015 08:17 PM
Trying to decide on a new build bvitale General Crawlers 3 04-24-2015 10:35 PM
I can NOT decide on what to build Markeje Newbie General 20 01-09-2014 04:31 AM
Help me decide which build MNorby General Scale Talk 6 10-20-2008 08:14 PM
What should I build? Please help me decide! matts88yj Newbie General 11 11-26-2007 01:25 PM