Thread: A new AXIAL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2019, 08:55 PM   #241
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: A new AXIAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I already gave up on leaving it stockish

Got a Mamba Micro X, a BEC, a spare Futaba RX, and a Savox 2290 sitting here collecting dust so I ended up ordering a 2700kv stubby puller pro to finish it off. No sense in plastic steering crap with nearly 700oz in of servo, so titanium steering links are also on the way but that should be it for now.

What voltage does the AE-5L put out for the LEDs??
Lol sounds like my sport build

Pretty sure it’s 5 volts from the AE5.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2019, 09:29 PM   #242
RCC Addict

I haven't had much luck with the Micro Xs in the past, but this truck is lighter weight and does not have OD/UD so hopefully it wont overheat or let the magic smoke out. I am going to try to make it to finals at Logandale next weekend. I guess if it survives that, it should be good for By The Fire. Doubt I'll do anything else to it for now except maybe adding a little bit of lighting.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:38 PM   #243
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
I haven't had much luck with the Micro Xs in the past, but this truck is lighter weight and does not have OD/UD so hopefully it wont overheat or let the magic smoke out. I am going to try to make it to finals at Logandale next weekend. I guess if it survives that, it should be good for By The Fire. Doubt I'll do anything else to it for now except maybe adding a little bit of lighting.
Awesome! I’ll be there too. Not comping but for the adventure run and swap meet.

I’ll bring the wraith too so we can compare the bone stocker to yours.

Here’s some side and front pics for whomever was asking (Dude?) lmk if you need a different angle/shot. In the last one you can see the steering links hitting before full compression.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2019, 04:19 AM   #244
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreview View Post
Ok I got mine and I took it out once! A couple weeks ago, I put out an optimistic overview, happy to see something finally 'new' from Axial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vlmgs4ZGqg

Right now, my 1.9 Wraith and I are not getting along. I'll spend some time this afternoon running it on my two test courses. Some comments

- so happy to see something new from Axial with the new ownership
- $369 is a lot for what they're offering, especially with what's available out there today.
- Are they just capitalizing on the Wraith brand/legacy? It's more Honcho SCX10.2 hybrid.
- my radio has a range of about 5 feet.
- the steering wheel on the transmitter is huge and enhanced with plastic ridges
- All 4 tires wobble like hula hoops
- steering angle is no good
- dogbones, plastic links and plastic shocks
- highlight seems to be the receiver box and the opening hood
- have to use a full size battery???
- what/why this new connector
- slower than slow for what looks like a powerful macheeen
- performs like a Deadbolt II. With no scale body/bumper/overhang, I would hope it can do more. I'll test today

Comments? I hope it is not taboo to discuss performance or anything pro/con about the vehicle. I'm loving my SCX10 II Chevy Blazer right now. And I'm trying to buy/try anything that looks compelling and innovative. I should learn more today but help steer me in the right direction.

fc @RC Review

I'm so glad im not the only one who felt this way. For the price point, there should have been at least universals involved, if not the original AR44s. I'm not a fan of these one piece housings. I felt like potentially metal links could have been included as well. The 10.2 cherokee RTR is the exact same price at tower. I will me making changes soon. It has tons of potential, and its a lot of fun to drive.

Edit- I must add, that right out of the box, mine was missing the front bumper. Apparently, someone was napping during assembly HA!
coffeeaddict17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:51 AM   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeaddict17 View Post
I'm so glad im not the only one who felt this way. For the price point, there should have been at least universals involved, if not the original AR44s. I'm not a fan of these one piece housings. I felt like potentially metal links could have been included as well. The 10.2 cherokee RTR is the exact same price at tower. I will me making changes soon. It has tons of potential, and its a lot of fun to drive.

Edit- I must add, that right out of the box, mine was missing the front bumper. Apparently, someone was napping during assembly HA!

Right on. I ran it for s couple hours yesterday. Had to use another radio. Used stock tires then later heavy wheels with Proline Hyrax.

It’s tough. Top heavy, links drag a lot, suspension not good.

Approach angles are good.
rcreview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:11 PM   #246
Suck it up!

Mine is officially in transit. With any luck I'll be prototyping parts this weekend.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:19 AM   #247
Pebble Pounder

I made big changes to mine last night. I swapped to the original AR44s, added trx4 shocks, samix brass spring perchs. Links will be here in a few days. I will be adding a Hobbywing 1080, savox 1230 and a holmes 21t. I also swapped on a set of SSD assassins.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #248
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Mine is officially in transit. With any luck I'll be prototyping parts this weekend.
Nice!

Quote:
I made big changes to mine last night. I swapped to the original AR44s, added trx4 shocks, samix brass spring perchs. Links will be here in a few days. I will be adding a Hobbywing 1080, savox 1230 and a holmes 21t. I also swapped on a set of SSD assassins.
Which links did you go for? Sounds like a solid build.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:45 AM   #249
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Sounds good. I'm waiting for the kit to come out to see what will be in it.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #250
I wanna be Dave

Got mine apart already...

crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:33 AM   #251
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Nice!

Which links did you go for? Sounds like a solid build.
I used scx10.2 kit links. I wanted to stretch to a 12.3 WB.

Anyone else have a clicking noise in their front end? Right out of the box, my front driveshaft was rubbing the spur cover. Had to clearance that a good bit.

They run this trans flipped 180 in the RTR scx10ii , and the rear is at a far less severe angle, than the front and doesn't rub.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #252
RCC Addict

Mine does it too when the suspension is compressed.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #253

Quote:
What parts are you planning?

Quote:
Anyone else have a clicking noise in their front end? Right out of the box, my front driveshaft was rubbing the spur cover. Had to clearance that a good bit.
Oh Axial...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #254
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What parts are you planning?
Good ones.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #255
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Good ones.
Lol.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #256
RCC Addict

Womp womp womp...

IMG_20190407_110037193_HDR by James Sanders, on Flickr

Today was the finals for the local comp series and they set up a 100+ gate adventure course. I hit the trail with Pant Danza and about 20-30 minutes in, the C-Hub broke while I was going down a hill. No impact, just down a hill. Luckily, I had a set of OG AR44 housings in the truck so a little bit of surgery and I was able to get it going again.

The Stubby seems about perfect for what I want out of this build. The Micro X handled it great and did not even get warm. Smooth startup, great torque, great wheel speed. The 2290 was a beast of course.

IMG_20190407_105254383_HDR by James Sanders, on Flickr

IMG_20190407_122819403_HDR by James Sanders, on Flickr

Torque twist was a bit more than I'd like. Shocks will be the next upgrade. SSD Pro 44 front might also be coming up soon, as I noticed one of the C-Hubs had twisted when I got home.

I'm liking the rock rash that the body gets.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #257
Gold Star Baby!

I was shocked that your chub broke on that downhill slide. Definitely not expected. I dig your electronics set up. Wheel speed seemed about perfect for the wraith.

I saw another wraith break this weekend too, but that one I thought would have been much worse than it was. A good 20-25 feet down a fairly steep rock face and it ripped a link. Otherwise it seemed to have held up surprisingly well with the whole chassis being plastic.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #258

Quote:
Womp womp womp...

Today was the finals for the local comp series and they set up a 100+ gate adventure course. I hit the trail with Pant Danza and about 20-30 minutes in, the C-Hub broke while I was going down a hill. No impact, just down a hill. Luckily, I had a set of OG AR44 housings in the truck so a little bit of surgery and I was able to get it going again.

The Stubby seems about perfect for what I want out of this build. The Micro X handled it great and did not even get warm. Smooth startup, great torque, great wheel speed. The 2290 was a beast of course.

Torque twist was a bit more than I'd like. Shocks will be the next upgrade. SSD Pro 44 front might also be coming up soon, as I noticed one of the C-Hubs had twisted when I got home.

I'm liking the rock rash that the body gets.
So two C-hub failures in one day? One broke and one twisted?

So far this rig isn't doing anything to help me regain confidence in Axial...

The rig looks great with those wheels and tires!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #259
RCC Addict

The second one may have simply been because I didn't torque it down enough and that allowed it to twist on the splines. I got a little distracted with everything going on. I ran one of my 10.2s pretty hard for a while with the stock multi piece housings and plastic C-Hubs without any problems. It wasn't until I swapped over to aluminum C-hubs that I started having them twist around.

I'm trying to keep this rig relatively lightweight so I didn't really plan on swapping out the axle housings. Might just add a dab of CA glue to keep them from twisting in the future. Then again, money tends to burn holes in my pockets and I cant leave anything alone.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #260
I wanna be Dave

I'm just glad your chassis didnt snap behind your front bumper.
If it makes you feel any better I destroyed 3 chubs in a week when I first got my yeti haha
SSD ALL THE THINGS!!!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

A new AXIAL - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM